Aerial not working correctly

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Morphman

Aerial not working correctly

Post by Morphman »

Hi guys

The aerial on my 2 is acting strange. I have a jap import with the black/red and pink/blue wires from the aerial to the head unit.
I wanted to have my aerial on a switch so I installed one between the above wires and the trigger "ant" wire from my head unit.
With ignition on and stereo on, flick switch sometimes the aerial will go up all the way other times only about 10 inches.
Turn switch off the aerial might go all the down or might just go down a small bit.
Any ideas? All I want us to be able to raise and lower it off a switch

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Aerial not working correctly

Post by Synz »

I don't have an answer but I'm interested in doing this myself, so will be following.

I currently have a standard headunit but I'm planning on upgrading all the sound system.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

chrisE
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by chrisE »

Unfortunately it sounds like it needs replacing. The aerial mechanism use a plastic toothed cord to push/pull the aerial. The aerial gets stuck because some teeth on the cord break off, this is a common issue.

What year is your car? There's a new aerial/cord on ebay for £15 but it only fits rev 3 - rev 5 models.
1995 Toyota MR2 GT-S in emerald green

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

It's a 94 rev 3, I have replaced the cord and mast already. Its definitely electrical I think.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Did the aerial work ok before you put the switch in ? Prove it by removing the switch and joining the wires as they should be.
I suspect your problem is the way your trying to do it, the aerial doesn't work the way you think it does. Is it an aftermarket head unit or standard ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

jimi wrote: 21/02/21 22:55 Did the aerial work ok before you put the switch in ? Prove it by removing the switch and joining the wires as they should be.
I suspect your problem is the way your trying to do it, the aerial doesn't work the way you think it does. Is it an aftermarket head unit or standard ?
Bought the car last summer and the plastic cable and mast were broken. I replaced them and also replaced the head unit as the one that was in it was rubbish. It's very random, even before I fitted the switch it would sometimes work correctly and sometimes would not. I have used the attached to wire it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

The plot thickens, disconnected the two wire going from the relay to the aerial, ignition on 12v goes to one wire for apporox 10sec relay clicks and drops 12v.
Ignition off 12v goes to other wire, 10 secs relay clicks 12v drops.
Connect wire to motor, ignition on 12v to motor, aerial extend an inch, ignition off aerial retract an inch.
So without the cable connected to motor it seems to work ok, when connected the 12v drops too soon causing the aerial not to extend fully.

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Gave up, ordered one from Amazon

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

From your descriptions it sounds like a problem with either the relay or the limit switches. Have you seen this article ? https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... erial.html

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Thanks jimi, yes I seen that alright. The limit switches are part of the relay box, right?
Funny how without the relay connected to the aerial it holds the 12v for significantly longer

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Actually looking at his drawing it's wrong, the two relays are there to reverse the voltage to the motor, making it go up or down, the way he's showing the contacts it won't move in any direction.
I would have thought the limits would be in the aerial body, actuated at the up and down posiitions, otherwise how do they know where the aerial is ?
If your interested you could post the aerial & relay to me, I'll pay the postage, if I can fix it you can pay the postage ?

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

jimi wrote: 24/02/21 19:58 Actually looking at his drawing it's wrong, the two relays are there to reverse the voltage to the motor, making it go up or down, the way he's showing the contacts it won't move in any direction.
I would have thought the limits would be in the aerial body, actuated at the up and down posiitions, otherwise how do they know where the aerial is ?
If your interested you could post the aerial & relay to me, I'll pay the postage, if I can fix it you can pay the postage ?
Thanks jimi, I will take another look but I believe the relay "box " senses when resistance comes on the 12v and that cuts tr he raising and lowering.
Thanks very much for your offer, I'm in Ireland and postage will probably be expensive.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

If you look at the BGB drawings for the aerial they show two switches external to the relay, same as the motor. It could well use the current increase as the motor stalls at the end of travel but I suspect not going by the BGB.
Are there any wires going from the relay to the aerial gearbox housing apart from the two that go to the motor ?

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

No there are just the 2 wires going to the motor

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”