First proper drive in my MR2-now with car 2

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Adrian J

First proper drive in my MR2-now with car 2

Post by Adrian J »

(This will be in a two parts as the site won't let me compose anything long!)

This is my first MR2.

I almost bought a Celica once but ended up with a Supra. Simple story-the husband of someone at work was selling a Toyota. I asked if it was a Celica and was told 'yes'. When I got to see it-there was this 3 1/2 year old Supra. 35,000 on the clock FSH and immaculate.
'I can't shift it' he said. 'Take it away if you want it. £3500' I apologised as I gave him back his arm and the cash.

So. Today I finally feel well enough to take the MR2 out for a decent run. I've had it a couple of weeks, give or take and have spent an odd hour or two quietly checking it over. I bought it from a local guy in the trade who got a new MOT for it and delivered it to my home for the princely sum of £400. Its got some tax, too.

It all checked out okay apart from some dodgy looking coolant. Using the advice from the site here, I drained it and replaced it with the proper stuff. The 8mm plastic tubing worked well to get rid of the air locks and all has been well. All the fans cut in when they should and the engine runs at a constant temperature.

I have, of course, thoroughly cleaned it inside and out. The bodywork is actually not bad and the interior passable. The driver's seat is worn as I gather they all tend to be. I hope to get some leather or half leather replacements when funds permit.

So, all is ready. I have already taken it out and about locally unable to resist the temptation to experience the 'MR2 Effect'. This however is to be the big one. I plan the route to include some different kinds of road, but mainly the faster ones so that I can savour the car at speed.

The first thing I noticed with this car was its low posture and how I appeared to be below bumper height with almost everything else. Not that it is intimidating, you understand as the whole car gives a feeling of security and 'solidness-that's the best way I can think of putting it. The engine always starts first turn of the key and settles immediately to a smooth idle, the after-market exhaust note sounding good and strong.

Now, I don't know about you guys and how you find the roads at the moment, but around here they are not good. My car has 17" rims with 40 and 45-section tyres and the narrow side walls are not conducive to making the suspension system all that compliant. I have to drive through some fairly heavy urban traffic to get out onto the open roads and I find that it's uncomfortable under these conditions. Still-that's not what this sort of car is all about.
Last edited by Adrian J on 25/03/11 6:46, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Adrian J

Re: First proper drive in my MR2 Part 2

Post by Adrian J »

An MR2 is all about fun. I quickly find this out once I get to the first stretch of dual carriageway with roundabouts. I have forgotten what it's like to be able to corner fast and flat and then accelerate away once the road is straight again.

The engine pulls strongly. The gearchange is worn, but I'm getting used to it and try heeling and toeing as I double de-clutch down on approaching the next roundabout. I am smiling as I blip the throttle-the exhaust really sounds the dog's do-dahs. I pass an artic on the way out of the junction and enjoy watching it recede quickly behind me, the view of it interesting in the windscreen mirror as it is framed by the rear spoiler.

I am impressed by the planted feeling this car has. It runs straight and true and is surprisingly quiet at the legal limit, apart from some wind noise from around the door mirror. The driving position is spot-on now that I have the seat optimised for my frame.

I continue on for some 45 miles, my anxiety over the car subsiding with every passing mile. The brakes work well, the engine temperature remains constant and there are no undue noises from anywhere.

I am really pleased with this shake-down run. When I reach home again the engine idles evenly, the whole car feeling totally good and unstressed.

I conclude that I have spent my £400 well. This venture I hoped at the begining would distract me from my poor health. It has.

Topic author
Spawn

Re: First proper drive in my MR2

Post by Spawn »

400quid? Bargain.

Lets see some pics then :th:

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

New pic showing now-legal front side lights. Oh-and youngest daughter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
devilly

Post by devilly »

That is mint for 400 quid! Would like to see more pics! :-)

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

devilly wrote:That is mint for 400 quid! Would like to see more pics! :-)
I really hope you're talking about the car... :laughing

A couple more pics, before I applied my reg. number:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gerwynmr2

Post by gerwynmr2 »

nice car surprising whats about for under £500 out there i recently came aquainted with an mr2 gt tbar myself for the princely sum of £470 10months mot but no tax alloys are a bit tatty but apart from that she goes well looks good to will post some pics when i can work out how to upload of phone

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

looks mint for 400 squid! :th:
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Topic author
Flay2010

Post by Flay2010 »

Whats that sticking out the engine lid!!, looks good for the price paid well done there mate!

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

I was just reading about other member's exhausts-how good they look and sound. Mine actually sounds rather nice-so I had a good look...then I had a bit of a polish..and got an unexpected result-I have a stainless system! The tail pipes looked quite good-now so does the box. This just keeps getting better!

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

Flay2010 wrote:Whats that sticking out the engine lid!!, looks good for the price paid well done there mate!
LOL-only just spotted this comment!!

I suppose the electric aerial failed and the built-in windscreen one didn't work well either!

Topic author
synXero

Post by synXero »

You best get this HPI checked fella :laughing

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

OI!! You perves!! I've just seen that the picture I posted with my daughter in it has been viewed 73 times...

Topic author
synXero

Post by synXero »

Got any HQs?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”