Black Mountain - Turbo not needed! [Pic Heavy]

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
richard_p88

Post by richard_p88 »

Once again work has brought me to Wales. After 12 nightshifts i finally had some time off yesterday, and since arriving i'd been hoping for some good weather, after seeing storms and rainfall it wasn't looking good.

However as luck had it Yesterday was the first dry day in long time, i knew i had to take full advantage of the situation and go for a drive. After a quick look on Google maps I discovered i was only about 20 miles or so from Black Mountain, and it's famous driving road connecting Brynamman and Llangadog, As used on Top Gear while testing the CLK63 AMG Black. :th:

I set off my trip not really knowing what to expect, Would it be full of traffic? Would i even dare open the car up?

Excitement was building as i neared the start, despite a little frustration at following a 25mph scrap metal Transit, pluming diesel smoke at me :annoyed:

I knew i was in for a treat, just by the looking the traffic coming from the direction i was heading, The odd bike, hot Hatches, and Audi RS4 and even a very smiley MR2 owner.

Eventually There's a sign "Gateway to Black Mountain" I'd arrived. A Short while later i pass the sign for NSL, I dropped into 3rd gear and planted my foot. My Blueflame exhaust roared into life :D

I was shocked at how smooth the road surface was, Fast approaching the first bend i have perfect forward visibilty, nothings coming, The Road was narrow but there was no reason i couldn't use both lanes. I slow down enough to take the bend and aimed for the apex, and bury my foot once again after hitting it. I now really know what people mean when they say the NA is all about response, everything happens in an instant. The revs rise, the car accelerates and the exhaust note gets louder, as the car just grips and grips.

I'm having the time of my life taking fast sweeping bends and feeling in total control. I soon arrived at 'that hairpin' and stopped for a photo op.

Setting off again i go round the bend, which is so well cambered, however i have to admit fear of falling off and the fact i'd just stopped a few hundred yards away meant i didn't carry alot of speed around it.The next section was much taken much slower, the road really did feel narrow and the bends were tighter and blinder. But still a great drive, I stopped again by a small stream and took a few more pictures before finishing the drive Llangadog, Now at the bottom and driving through a wooded area, i'm following a rathe slow audi. However i didn't mind as the surface was damp and leafy, the scenery was great though.

I turned around in Llangadog and prepared to experience it all again in reverse. More following of slower traffic ensued, so once at the foot of the mountain i pulled over once again to give a little space, There are plenty of really handy stopping point and as a driver you'd swear they were made of it.

I drove back with more confidence knowing the road a little better and the fact i was now on the inside lane rather than the edge. Ending up behind a land rover just after getting a little screech from my tires on the hairpin i pulled over again to take a few more pics. After Climbing around for a bit getting some shots from height i saw a vectra heading my direction, so quickly ran to the car and set off again, leaving my window slightly open.

I could really hear the exhaust now!

Now on the faster more section i really didn't want the experience to end. I blasted past the now pulled in landrover and enjoyed lots of 2nd and 3rd gear action before finishing the run behind the same car i was following at the start, Really glad i'd stopped to let it get ahead.

Heading back to my hotel the stream of sports cars and driving enthusiasts persisted heading toward the mountain road, most Notably an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Obviously the road had a reputation and afte driving it I now know why. :D
Last edited by richard_p88 on 11/11/10 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
richard_p88

Re: Black Mountain - Turbo not needed!

Post by richard_p88 »

Topic author
Toms-MR2

Post by Toms-MR2 »

Excellent post mate, really enjoyed reading that :th:

Pics look brilliant, sounds like it was one hell of an experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
richard_p88

Re: Black Mountain - Turbo not needed! [Pic Heavy]

Post by richard_p88 »

Cheers, i really had no idea it was gonna be that long when i started out! :blush:

I'd highly recommend anyone to take a trip there. That was just one of Wales tarmac gems, i'm sure with enough time planning there are some great routes out there as many other members Wales run pictures show. :th:

Topic author
rhys57

Post by rhys57 »

Good write up mate, we went for a run the other week with the north east section. It really mate me relize what the mr2
Can do I've only had mine 5
Months I love it

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Great write up and great pics mate :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

commandosqueak
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by commandosqueak »

looks like an epic run. anyone fancy a meet there?

lew893
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by lew893 »

I fancy a meet there! Shame its not closer!!

Mr_Wedge
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Mr_Wedge »

I've done it twice in the snow and ice, ass going like a rabbits nose. A must for all drivers.
Fantastic write up!
3.0 V6 3vz-fe
Built by Rogue Motorsport.

Topic author
Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

[quote="richard_p88"]Cheers, i really had no idea it was gonna be that long when i started out! :blush: I[/quote]

OOOeeer! It's surprsing when you start just how long it is.....

Topic author
gt4mayhem

Post by gt4mayhem »

Must do this run sometime but defo great write up truley enjoyable read :th:

Topic author
aiddyjay

Post by aiddyjay »

you should have been up there today some film crew filming porche gt4's ferrari f40, (I passed :o) ) and a Jaguar xj220 not sure what the filming was for was happy just to pass the f40! :bleh:
Last edited by aiddyjay on 01/04/11 9:35, edited 1 time in total.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

A4069 for those who are wondering what all the fuss is about.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1GuYpvRTxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgXn9Ow ... re=related

If you fancy a bigger challenge try the B4242 from Glyn-Neath to the junction with the A4215. Because it's lot narrower, the buzz when it all comes together that much more intense. It includes this excellent double hairpin.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 34.26,,0,0
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”