Nurburgring Trip - photos and videos

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Nurburgring Trip - photos and videos

Post by shinny »

Some of you will have seen my videos and pics on my project thread, but for those who haven't seen it, here are my photos and videos from my trip to Nurburg last weekend. Just over a 1000mile round trip but thoroughly worth it to throw the car around the 'ring on R888s! :yahoo:

Video:

Nismo 270R vs MR2 Turbo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPubJyVwCAo

My 9.25 lap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp6uDRPbrNk

I don't pretend either lap was particularly fast or special, as I was still being fairly easy on the car (not redlining every straight, often a gear too high accelerating from corners) and, as I'm now only on 5 1/2 laps now, was being fairly conservative breaking before turns too ;)

Photos:

Tubby on the 'ring...

The scenery:

The cars that had booked the Sunday morning... which we only found out once we'd got up for an 8.30am opening :crybaby:

Waiting for the ring to open...

mr2muzz

Re: Nurburgring Trip - photos and videos

Post by mr2muzz »

Car looks Awesome bud! Great pics :)

fishface31a

Post by fishface31a »

:th: Great pics and videos and a great time for having only done a handful of laps! Took me ages to break 10mins! I cant believe you dont wear a helmet though! A friend of mine came on one of our trips and crashed 4km into his first lap! The car was a total write off and had it not been for the fact that the car curtain air bags he would almost certainly have been killed as he wasnt wearing a helmet! While collecting his stuff from the wrecked car at the recovery garage we were shown a Porsche and a BMW that had both crashed that weekend where both drivers had died, again because they werent wearing helmets. In the BMW drivers case a major contributary factor was that he had removed the standard steering wheel which had an airbag and replaced it with a fancy "race" wheel! Both drivers were relative novices to the 'Ring and no other vehicles were involed in either accident! I would beg anybody venturing out on the track there to wear a decent crash helmet! Sorry if i sound like a health and safety advert but seeing a couple of cars full of blood is a really sobering experience! :sad:

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

I've actually just been looking into helmets... I dunno much about them. but was contemplating getting a cheap motorcycle helmet for next time I'm on a track. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/310171949189

I've now been bitten by the track bug, so am trying to convince a guy on ebay to split his lot of track passes and entrance tickets for JapFest, so I can get out on track. And to do that, I must have a helmet :th:

farnboy

Post by farnboy »

Nice driving mate :th: it is interesting to know how many miles to the gallon you were getting driving the to the ring or did you used a trailer to get the two up there.

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

farnboy wrote:Nice driving mate :th: it is interesting to know how many miles to the gallon you were getting driving the to the ring or did you used a trailer to get the two up there.
On the (rather fast) autobahn cruise we were doing about 30-32mpg... for the 77 miles in the area of the Nurburg / Adenau (including 4 laps, which accounts for 49 of those miles) I got about 12mpg :laughing

No trailer involved getting the car there, although my rear R888s were in the back of the 270R to / from the hotel ;)

Cytokine
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Cytokine »

Absolutely wicked.
There was some serious looking stuff on there. I think it was a silver E36 BMW that made a hell of a noise when it passed.
I would love to go one day.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

If you're after a good helmet Shinny I have a Caberg helmet like this:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... nt_cat/440

It has internal shades that you can bring down, and the face flips up and can even be removed and converted to open face fairly easily making it very useful for car racing :th:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Kitsan

Post by Kitsan »

HM: We use those whilst instructing on the quad bikes at work, a very good design and easily worth a little extra for the flexibility.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Kitsan wrote:HM: We use those whilst instructing on the quad bikes at work, a very good design and easily worth a little extra for the flexibility.
Yes, agree Kit, very good value for the flexibility and the safety rating :th:

I went to a local motorcycle shop knowing nothing about helmets (a requirement for track days and sprints when I went on my first one) and explained to the chap that I needed it for. He said "this" and handed it me there and then. It's comfortable too and doesn't get too hot being inside the car (most motorbike helmets are designed to cool the head being in the err- open!).

Don't skimp on a cheapo helmet Mark - your bonce is worth more than a £60 saving :th:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

fishface31a

Post by fishface31a »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
Don't skimp on a cheapo helmet Mark - your bonce is worth more than a £60 saving :th:

HM
:th: As the old Bell Helmets advert once said "If youve got a 10 dollar head wear a 10 dollar helmet!" :th:

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

That vid was taken after 5 1/2 laps!?! Blood & spiders - you were Not Hanging About. I managed a 9:15ish (intentionally not taped) after 13 laps in my Scooby. Hats off to you for pulling out a lap like that in a far more challenging car. :)

I'm not fully sold on the helmet idea. I can see the obvious benefits, but I didn't have one, and view it the same as I do with bump caps on work sites. I bang my head far more often when I'm wearing one than when I'm not. I can definitely imagine the same being true on track. Having clear peripheral vision on the Ring is vital IMO. There's so much happening.

Guess it depends on your driving style. If you're looking out of the front window only, intent only on the fastest lap you can get - YES.

If like me, you were driving to about 80% with your mind firmly on the traffic around you, hoping only to have fun and survive, not so clear cut.

Anyway - thanks for a cracking vid!
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

_Al_ wrote:That vid was taken after 5 1/2 laps!?! Blood & spiders - you were Not Hanging About. I managed a 9:15ish (intentionally not taped) after 13 laps in my Scooby. Hats off to you for pulling out a lap like that in a far more challenging car. :)
Thanks man :th:

9.15 is a pretty decent lap time too, so hats off to you sir. However, if you're anything like me, you're also trying to figure out how you'll go faster next time :laughing

Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Good run dude. Man some of those cars were really fast. One of the Porches (was it a gt3 maybe?) flew past even though you were going at a decent pace. In my opinion track = helmet. Especially for a track like the nurburgring where so many people crash and burn in the barriers spectacularly. Not so bad on tracks with massive runoffs and sandpits, but you can still roll.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”