Xmas "eco run"

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.

Topic author
Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Xmas "eco run"

Post by Chris69 »

Tomorrow will be leaving Scotland to travel down to hallowed ground for my works xmas "censored" up and then back to South Wales for the holidays. Decided, some weeks back, on having a crack at seeing how far this machine can really go on a full tank, somewhat inspired by Dan's MPG thread.
Was perhaps a near sighted attempt at making the 10 hours on the road a bit more interesting. Truth be told 10+ hours of careful driving is going to be a premature hell (and one of the dumbest ideas ever) but still, this is possibly the only time of year I'l get to do it so I feel it must be done.

For those who dont know my car:

Its a Rev1 (feel free to wave if you see me) running a rev 5 engine, stainless 3" intake and "performance" :rolleyes: filter, and stock backbox. Has been lowered pretty as far as the coilovers allow should help reduce drag (maybe, thinking less air under the car) and now rev 6 headlights (again maybe less drag than stock halfbricks but clutching at straws if its dark or raining.) No other bodykit bits to lug around. Rev 5 wheels (lighter than your normal rev 1 or 2) Toyo proxes all round, stock size at the rear and 205 45 on the front, slightly wider and less rolling radius than normal.

No aircon, no power steering, no excessive ICE, nothing really extra to drain the power. Weight 1180kg at last check (nothing changed since then)

So the route:

Starting at Grangemouth (Asda petrol station) going down to the Park hotel in Teddington (a stones throw from Twickenham hence hallowed ground, for me at least) covers a mere 424 miles, childsplay. (Have a current personal best of 465 without conking out which was on a normal-ish motorway cruise.) So M876, M73, A and M74, M6, M5, M42, M40, M25, M4 and A?? whatever they are. Leaving early in the hope of avoiding any major rush hour shenanigans, fingers crossed.
Second leg should be far more entertaining. Saturday morning leaving Teddington and attempting to reach Bridgend. The A-roads through London could crucify me depending on traffic, last year in the snow it was chocka so may switch to the M3 then M4 adding a couple of miles to the journey. Either way that will be circa 165 miles.... dicey at best.

So in total 589 miles on one tank, yikes. Bets on how far I can get before looking sheepish on the side of the M4 bathed in the mocking amber glow of my hazards silently blinking.

Personally I dont think its possible but will give it my best. Theres no real ulterior motive here either, fuel is all going on expenses so wont cost my a penny either way, so in some way im doing the economy a (very small at least) favour.
If I can get close to Membury services will be a happy man, means I can stop for a KFC then belt it the rest of the way fuelled by the colonels secret recipe and some overpriced unleaded!

Just to note I will be carrying spare fuel on board so no AA man to rescue me in the case of utter failure and giving the car a thorough once over this evening to make sure everything is tip top.

Will update and add pics as I progress. Wish me luck or just pray my sanity is still in check at journeys end.

Had to alter my route slightly, delays due to a crash on the m6 so decided to head down the m6 toll instead, dont know how much it added but will look tomorrow and update the total.
Last edited by Chris69 on 15/12/11 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Cytokine
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Xmas "eco run"

Post by Cytokine »

Fair play geezer. I hope it goes well. I find that I start going insane after a while on the motorway and also that the 2 isnt the most comfortable of things to be driving on a long journey.
Whatever though mate just stick behind the lorrys to save on the go go juice.

Mrs_smitty
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Mrs_smitty »

Wouldnt you be better using the M1, from what I remember it links direct to the M25 and should be a shorter journey time to London for you ?

Google is not always your friend, have a look at an old fashioned map ;)

New Hubby, New House, New start what more could i want ?

Topic author
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Cytokine wrote:Fair play geezer. I hope it goes well. I find that I start going insane after a while on the motorway and also that the 2 isnt the most comfortable of things to be driving on a long journey.
Whatever though mate just stick behind the lorrys to save on the go go juice.
Trucks will definitely be my firend :th:
Fairly used to long tours in the 2, its more my right boot getting a bit numb after 6 hours.
Think the nicotine addiction will be more of a killer, I refuse to light up in the car and will be loathe to stop for a "fresh air" break.
Mrs_smitty wrote:Wouldnt you be better using the M1, from what I remember it links direct to the M25 and should be a shorter journey time to London for you ?

Google is not always your friend, have a look at an old fashioned map ;)
Google did initially suggest the M1 but its usually more of a mare for traffic and accidents, will be keeping an ear out for the traffic reports and amend as necessary. Theres not really much time to be saved and the distance is almost identical. M1 also takes a bit further around the M25 which I really want to avoid. Preference is the M40 but will see how it goes.

(OO==\°/==OO)

thosb10
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by thosb10 »

Hi Chris, if you get any further than 360 miles I would like you to tune my 2 on your return. Good luck with the journey, switch of the ICE and sing some carols at the top of your vocals :yahoo: and enjoy bud. :th: :th: :th:

Tom
Vehicles are just like a giant Meccano set and should not be feared, but respected

PeteT
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by PeteT »

Good luck with your nice little challenge :th:

It will be interesting to hear how you get on :)

Dont forget to get your tyre pressures right before you leave ;)

The hardest bit i find when doing a long journey is staying at the same speed, i get board and then increase my speed for a few miles :blush:

Good luck
2's Owned
1989 Mk1 N/A TBar - Red
1992 Mk2 N/A TBar - Red
1999 Mk2 N/A TBar - Red
1999 Mk2 Under Cover Tubby Tbar - Red - sold to chris3boro
2003 Mk3 - Red

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by sinjen »

Good luck Chris,will be interesting to see how you go. Keep us updated... :th:
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

Chris - what can I say other than best of luck matey - it will be very interesting to see what my old 3SGE will do when driven on a real fuel eccon drive.
One thing I will say is you state starting at ASDA - in my experience Shell gives better mileage than supermarket fuel - backed up by Auto Express and What car fuel challenges (no not talking V power - bog standard Shell unleaded).

Might be worth doing 2 challenges - down to Twickers on Adsa fuel and then brim to brim on Shell and see if you can replicate both Auto E and What Car findings that Shell does indeed give about 5% more miles per gallon.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Thanks for the support all. Pete nearest shell was abit out of the way for me but did tests earlier this year, results suggest the same economy but with a quick calculation based on 5% would have gained 8.3 miles on a 437 mile trip down to london.

Half way to London now just did a quick vid having trouble uploading, will sort it later on. At roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of a tank now having done 213 miles. Not too bad.

Updates later on.

Sent from my foot to your "censored"!

(OO==\°/==OO)

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

Chris 5% of 437 = 21.85 miles -
so if auto express and what car are correct in their findings well worth trying.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

I go out of my way to put Shell stuff in my N/A as i usually get 40 more miles to a tank...meaning i get 320 miles instead of 280! It makes sense to put it in your car - and with a drivers club card you can make up the few pence difference every month it costs you by getting fuel vouchers off the cost of your fuel.

d-peg
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

That's a toughie Chris.... my one bit of advice would have been the spare can - which you have covered already so :th: there :D

Both top N/A eco cars are rev5's (me & somewhat in the lead JohnnyC) so if we said you pipped Johnny and went 48mpg that'd give you a drop out of 581miles...

MY GOD!

That is sooooooooooooooo doable i can taste it myself... :laughing

I so hope you do make it i truly do but i am gonna hedge my bets on the wet weather hampering efforts (increasing drag & surface friction) and stick you down as 45mpg and cutting out around 545 mile mark.

By jingo mate - best of luck all the same :D
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Made london and made my way thru the nighmare of traffic and lights using half a bar of fuel, not too bad. 1/4 of a tank left. Quick figures suggest 125 miles per 1/4 discounting the stuff in the filler neck and whats beyond the "0" mark. This is indeed going to be very close, didnt think it would do so well. Looks to be short by 40 miles so seems it will be won or lost with the fuel left when the orange light is on. Tasty.
Will upload pics later on, off for a well earned pint i think.

Pete the extra gained would have also taken into account the extra distance I would have travelled, just to clear that one up.
Again also every decent shell station is a few miles out of my way in the wrong direction, asda is conveniently next to the refinery were I work :)

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Chris69

Re: Xmas

Post by Chris69 »

Ok couple of pics.

Start early this morning
uploadfromtaptalk1323982973284.jpg
At 300miles, cheecky quick snap getting to the toll
uploadfromtaptalk1323982849930.jpg
And at the end of todays stint
uploadfromtaptalk1323982598015.jpg

Laptops not accepting wifi so not gonna add any more.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chris69 on 18/12/11 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

(OO==\°/==OO)

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”