Best work day ever!

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Best work day ever!

Post by Chris69 »

Not specifically MR2 but today was one of the all time greatest drives ive been on......

The last day of my audits and I have to go up to Kinlochleven, which is just dipping into the highlands, to do a 20 minute audit and then drive home.

Was in the Mondeo estate ive been using for the last few weeks down south and around Edinburgh/Glasgow while my 2 has been sat at the office, no doubt collecting all sorts of seagull faeces, dust and grime.

So bless it its only a 1.8 tdci but ive been driving it regularly and seem to be able to throw it around a fair bit, even got the rear end to skip a bit.
Was expecting a monsoon today but the weather though not great was only overcast with a bit of rain, nothing to worry about at all. This morning I set off at a leisurely 9:30, so got a bit of a lie in too, towards Stirling which in itself wasnt too busy before hitting the A84. That was when the fun began, absolutely nothing on the roads being mid morning so could attack the roads and give the Mondeo a good work out. Few buses and trucks about as you would expect but made mincemeat of them and off again. I was extremely lucky as passed alot of couch tour buses just getting into the highlands but all parked up while everyone was taking pictures... nice :th:
Now dipping into the highlands is always a bit special and truth be told its been too long since ive been up that way but the absolute cherry on top was Glencoe to Kinlochleven, the final assault running along side Loch Leven itself. An absolutely perfect ribbon of asphalt which was just pure twists and turns for 7 miles, with only one bus to negotiate before hitting the twisty's proper I could get my toe down and really enjoy it. I dont think there was a happier man in the whole of the UK behind the wheel of such a workaday car.

The way back has to be said was a bit more pedestrian as there was more traffic and was out of the highlands too soon without really enjoying it but did have a good run with some german bikers before nipping past them and getting on with the pleasure of a good days work. As a bit of a detour I avoided Stirling and stuck with the A85 towards Perth that ran alongside another lake whose name eludes me then headed south at Crieff towards Gleneagles and Auchterarder on the A823. More empty carriageways for me to abuse, I love travelling about mid week. I thought a quick lap around Knockhill would be a bit cheeky so threw a rightt off the A823 on a one track road towards Saline and home.

I wish every day was like that, work would feel so much more worthwhile :D

15:15 and putting the kettle on..... cant wait until next year when I have to do it all again! :cool1:

There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

CHLOKE83

Re: Best work day ever!

Post by CHLOKE83 »

Chris69 wrote:Mondeo estate
:shocked:

splatadoo

Post by splatadoo »

The Kinlochleven loop (the scotsburgring) is by far one of the finest roads in Scotland. If they closed it for a day and turned it in to a race track, I'd be the happiest man alive. :laughing

The Other road you are talking about is the one that passes through St Fillans and runs along the side of Loch Earn...... another beauty of a road but very difficult to find it in a quiet state....

Nice days work my friend..... any jobs going??? :laughing

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

splatadoo wrote:The Kinlochleven loop (the scotsburgring) is by far one of the finest roads in Scotland. If they closed it for a day and turned it in to a race track, I'd be the happiest man alive. :laughing
He should take the MR2 next time. :D
We did the complete circuit on this year's Highland Drive.
splatadoo wrote:The Other road you are talking about is the one that passes through St Fillans and runs along the side of Loch Earn...... another beauty of a road but very difficult to find it in a quiet state....
If traffic is kind, the upper end from Crianlarich down Glen Ogle to Lochearnhead is even better. The A823 from Gleneagles up Glendevon is fun too. If time permits turn off here and take the track up to the reservoirs. Reckon it would be an excellent backdrop for a photo op.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

splatadoo

Post by splatadoo »

Gleneagles - Glendevon... I took a detour through here after the last monthly meet i was on... great fun :)

Topic author
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

CHLOKE83 wrote:
Chris69 wrote:Mondeo estate
:shocked:
:laughing yep, work day and had a fair bit of kit on board. Dont worry its a company works car but best of all.... fuel on expenses :th:

Think I was very lucky to hit it at specific times to catch so little traffic. Should add on my way out of the highlands I saw a cluster of mini's (not the new bullshit mini's but the proper ones) on their way there. Was nice to see, ive always fancied a mini and considering getting one over a mk1 and slinging a 4age in the back for "censored" and giggles. Tho thats by the by....

Andy mate 90% of the time id say take my job and be damned with it! But this week...... not a chance :laughing

I really will get on with exploring more of the countryside (tho I said that last year) when I get time and money at the same time but for now time is lacking and trying to save for a mk1 sooo...... maybe later on in the year.

Also to complete my epic week I was out for lunch today and drove past some poor sod on a bike just as he hit a pothole and went "censored" over tit landing face first in a puddle with the bike landing on top of him. Insult to injury he was ginger and wearing a suit!

I laughed so hard I almost rear ended a police car :rofl:

(OO==\°/==OO)

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Chris69 wrote:Should add on my way out of the highlands I saw a cluster of mini's (not the new bullshit mini's but the proper ones) on their way there.
Like this?

Glen Docherty on this year's Highland Drive.

Saw them earlier at Bealach na Ba - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OI1hub71OE @6:46

And outside the Inn at Applecross.

Topic author
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Familiar looking bunch, i def remember an odd coloured orange one amidst a few green and one race prep looked white one.

sent from my foot to your "censored"!

(OO==\°/==OO)

Tallboy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17

Post by Tallboy »

Love that road!! :th:

My personal fave is the a835 inverness to ullapool :th:
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Topic author
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Ahh, its this time of year again. Tomorrow I head back up to Kinochleven for another 15 minute job and then drive back. Been looking forward to this but wish my 2 was back on the road. Next year if the 1.5 is finished I'm taking that, or the mk2 at least, but this year...... Transit Connect :laughing

(OO==\°/==OO)

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

As I now live in Tenerife I am blessed with roads suited for the Mr2,god I wish I never sold the TURD now.
Coming down from ElRoque to San Lan Lozernzo you have miles and miles of twisting turning roads whilst taking the views in of the coast line.So who's up for a meet lol

splatadoo

Post by splatadoo »

Funnily enough, I was across there a week and a half ago (again at the red squirrel beside the claichaig inn) one of the most amazing roads in the country.... unfortunately i had my l200 and it wasnt as good as it was with the 2..... but ill be back in a 2 at some point, guaranteed :D

Have a good trip!

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

topgun wrote:As I now live in Tenerife I am blessed with roads suited for the Mr2,god I wish I never sold the TURD now.
Coming down from ElRoque to San Lan Lozernzo you have miles and miles of twisting turning roads whilst taking the views in of the coast line.So who's up for a meet lol
This one?

TF-21, TF-38, and TF-51 all look good for a blast as well. :)
I reckon a Mk3 would be the best choice for those roads and that climate tbh.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”