The Best Car I've Driven

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

The Best Car I've Driven

Post by _Al_ »

As some of you will already know, I've had my eye on getting another MR2 turbo for some time. The shaky white rev 3 and the hydrophobic red rev 2 may have damped the passion but it still smouldered and in time it recovered, now it's burning bright again.

Recently I narrowly missed the perfect car, one I've been chasing for some time. Tonight I can't believe my luck, it's back up for sale. I left work very early to make up for the long journey and here we are in deepest darkest Kent.

The roads around here are varied, quiet and interesting. Frankly, I've got the perfect companion to exploit them. Ok, you can tell that it hasn't been driven in a while, the tyre pressures may not be spot on, but it's hugely enjoyable all the same. It's noisy, unsophisticated and really requires you to be part of the experience.

The roads here are bounded by trees, running through a deep gully. It makes visibility a challenge, but at least you have a cast iron guarantee that you aren't about to have another car pull out on you. There's always the pedestrian/cyclist/horse risk though, so we're pulling the speed right down through the corners then letting the engine play as the road opens up and the vanishing point disappears. This is how I've spent a hugely enjoyable 15 minutes learning the road and the conditions, but now the tarmac is getting even better.

As it pushes on into the night the car is being met with a relentless succession of ridges, dips, camber changes and longer gradients. These are embedded into a mix of broader corners and sharper switchbacks.

Working the chassis properly is vital, your inputs allowing it to flow from one challenge to the next as a single seamless movement. This requires every trick in the book - rolling onto and off the throttle while blending the steering angle in and out, hooking the car into the tighter stuff and allowing it to run wider under power on the exists - all to the backdrop of matched gearshifts on a precisely worked throttle, then the howl of the engine as it gets "on song" down the next short open section. Third gear is almost completely inaccessible here, and that's fine by me.

The car is absolutely perfect for this. The tyres are cold, the road is damp but worked carefully it really, really bites - allowing you to work the steering with pinpoint accuracy and lean confidently on the sidewalls as the lateral G loads up, then to wake the rear tyres with the throttle as you exit each bend and fine-tune the car's positioning.

Even though my attention is totally held by the road and the car, I can't help but compare it to others I've driven. The 350z would get stuck on a road this narrow, the Impreza would be going 12 times faster but with no excitement at all, the MX5 would be busy re-defining the limits of "great handling" then dawdling along the straights so slowly you'd be shouting at it. Only the FTO would stand a chance, but it would need mirror-flat tarmac, otherwise you'd need dental work (after they pulled you out of the hedge).

The MR2 has all the bases covered, all the time. For me it's the optimal fusion between power, grip, steering feel, handling balance, braking and ride.

There's just one discord in the otherwise perfect evening - the GPS is still reading just under 20minutes. Still - we'll worry about that later.

The road is opening out and the trees have backed away, good visibility has been established and the car finally has some space to play. I absolutely adore letting these things loose with a stretch of clear road ahead, feeling the revs build as the needle arcs around the gauge, all to the background music of the exhaust as the engine comes alive.

The road dips into a valley and the car dives down with it, effortlessly following the direction change at the bottom and smoothing out a fairly serious ridge/compression/cambre combination on the way.

Controlled, composed, exciting - what more could you want....?

That brings us back to the GPS. A few minutes later it ticks down to zero and the destination has arrived.

Bathed in the MR2's headlights is the low-slung, utterly gorgeous shape of the blue turbo that I'm here to drive.

As I get out to go knock on the door I can't help but wonder if it'll be able to hold a candle to the natural talents of my faded, battered, under utilised and often forgotten NA...

:)

Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: The Best Car I've Driven

Post by chris »

I love you write ups Al :cool1:

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 »

I agree I love Al's write ups too
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

+1

My bet is he has posted that as a morale booster because the journey described happened back in November.
_Al_ wrote:here we are in deepest darkest Kent.

The roads around here are varied, quiet and interesting.

As it pushes on into the night the car is being met with a relentless succession of ridges, dips, camber changes and longer gradients. These are embedded into a mix of broader corners and sharper switchbacks.
I've been telling you for years that you need to get down here and find out just what we have to offer. A Kent Run is at least a couple of hours minimum not a paltry 20 minutes. No more excuses will be acceptable in 2015. Capice?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

They are like crack. Whenever you get in one it's a little bit different from the last, but generally equalled loved and hooned to bits by its owner. All marques. Sod the jibes about hairdressing and impracticality - when you've got a nice quiet road to play on there are few modern cars more engaging (superlights like caterfields excepted).

lamby27

Post by lamby27 »

felt like i had stumbled on a smutty novel lol thats basically what these cars are for some of us i guess :P

Topic author
_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

TonyleFrog wrote:+1

My bet is he has posted that as a morale booster because the journey described happened back in November.
You can't rush high art! :)

Also - I didn't want it to be interpreted as "wow, his new car must be bad if the NA is that much better"... However I figure that's no longer a risk.
TonyleFrog wrote:
_Al_ wrote:here we are in deepest darkest Kent.

The roads around here are varied, quiet and interesting.

I've been telling you for years that you need to get down here and find out just what we have to offer. A Kent Run is at least a couple of hours minimum not a paltry 20 minutes. No more excuses will be acceptable in 2015. Capice?
...and I came on a Kent run (at considerable personal risk!) in the self-disassembling white car just before I got shot of it.

Two problems with bringing the NA on the Kent run: 1) I wouldn't see which way you lot went, 2) I really don't do early mornings!!!!

Glad you guys liked it. As Tony observes it was indeed a morale booster; but based squarely on what actually happened.

I genuinely love the way the NASP drives. There's no slippy diff to corrupt the steering response, the gearbox isn't over-engineered to take tubby levels of torque so it's lighter,more slick and precise and the car is notably less heavy resulting a braking and steering inputs which are sharper somehow.

I genuinely wondered as I got to the blue car if I was right to replace the red one given how much fun I have in it.

Sadly, the dark side claimed me!
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

[quote][/quote]

Two problems with bringing the NA on the Kent run: 1) I wouldn't see which way you lot went, 2) I really don't do early mornings!!!! Having Driven on several Kent runs in a Rev1 N/A and living an hour and a half away from the start point I will do my best to make every one of them in 2015 :laughing . The drive and company are worth the early start. And your write up would be Epic. :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

_Al_ wrote:You can't rush high art! :)
At least you're getting recognition on here for your writing.
Poe and Kafka had to wait until they were dead before anyone took any notice.
_Al_ wrote:...and I came on a Kent run (at considerable personal risk!) in the self-disassembling white car just before I got shot of it.
Doing one in a car with 'issues' is hardly representative though.
_Al_ wrote:Two problems with bringing the NA on the Kent run: 1) I wouldn't see which way you lot went, 2) I really don't do early mornings!!!!
1) Sheesh - not that turbo myth again. :rolleyes:

There have been many N/A pilots over the years.
Gazz/DaviesL/PeteJ/Psyken/d-peg/Gltd_simon/Great White

2) There will definitely be at least one with a later start during 2015.

So that excuse won't wash.
_Al_ wrote:Sadly, the dark side claimed me!
It's not over till the fat lady sings and she hasn't found her voice yet... ;)

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Al - your Chronicles of road coverage are a read I look forward to.
I just wish you a Christmas present------- a 2 that deserves to be written about by your good self.

You will find your Excalibur if you keep looking mate.
have a great Christmas, hope you realise your money back off the dog and get one that fits the bill.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by sinjen »

Great read Al as always. This is what this site is missing in my opinion, WELL written articles with some depth.

Which "blue" 2 did you look at and was it any good?
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2

Post by chaos19810 »

I'm might venture now to Kent once I've but the the last few finishing touches to my 2 I made one meet this year and that resulted in a complete light failure.
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

sinjen wrote:Which "blue" 2 did you look at and was it any good?
Either: you have been hiding under a rock for the last 4 weeks
Or: you have already taken merry in Merry Christmas a bit too far.
:blink: :)

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/162431.html

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by sinjen »

Lol I did see that but forgot, I blame a very heavy rock which is the day job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”