Action cam / mic placement

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Action cam / mic placement

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not sure where to put this really, I guess here will do. Finally got a replacement suction mount for my action camera a few weeks ago, only just got round to getting the video off it after testing. It's using a very cheap external clip on microphone (looks like a small electret mic) taped to the top of the number plate recess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqeC-HF0UI

Not a bad sound for such a cheap mic, and being in the number plate recess pretty much eliminates wind noise.

Any other places where an action cam works well? I was going to try on the wring just above the rub strip, but I'd need a longer extension for the mic to reach that far!

Rev5 Sonic Shadow

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Action cam / mic placement

Post by stuMR2lee »

I get video is private?

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

That'll be because I'm a tit, and it was indeed private! It is now unlisted so you should be able to see it with the link.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

That's better. Would mounting the camera further up front (if the mic lead is long enough) yield a better view? Sounds good though.

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

There's only a few places I can put it as the suction pad requires a relatively flat surface - if it's too curved, it won't be able to get a good enough seal to stay on. It will go on the rear quarter windows fine. It attaches to the wing just above the rub strip just fine, but I need a longer extension lead for it so I can route the cable either over the top of the car or along the sill so I can still get in the door!

I could put it on the door, I suppose. If I mount the camera upside down I should still be able to get to the mic lead and just plug / unplug it when I need to get in and out. That could work.

I have tried on the top before, but I don't really like that point of view - it's too high and really reduces the sensation of speed. Somewhere on the bonnet would be quite good, but I don't want to obscure my view. Some sort of clip on mount in the bumper slats might be decent?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

place of least amount of air flow and near exhaust.

by the rear plate must be ideal.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I've seen quite a few on the door. Worth a try.

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

jimGTS wrote:place of least amount of air flow and near exhaust.

by the rear plate must be ideal.
It does seem to work well. Olympus and Sony both do a compact stereo microphone that would be much more suitable than this little electret thing. Big difference in price though. The one I'm using cost about £4, the Olympus and Sony cost £50+, I think the Sony is actually a bit more than that. Not sure if it's worth it really.
stuMR2eye wrote:I've seen quite a few on the door. Worth a try.
I'll give it a go. It's just the external mic that makes it a pain in the "censored". The only other alternative is to use a separate recorder (which I do have somewhere), but you've then got to sync the audio in post. Not a massive problem, it's just easier to have it all recorded together and not have to worry about syncing audio.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Woody928
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

I had forgotten how good the 3sge actually sounded! :shocked:

I must consider the option of one of these for my go-pro....
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Sounds pretty damn good Gaz, hmmm now I'm thinking v6 noise would sound awesome. :)

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What I really want is the 3SGE roar with the 3SGTE wooshy noises!
baileydom wrote:Sounds pretty damn good Gaz, hmmm now I'm thinking v6 noise would sound awesome. :)
Get the Japspeed on the SMG once it's ready, happy to stick the cam on yours while you give it some abuse :th:
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Woody928 wrote:I had forgotten how good the 3sge actually sounded! :shocked:

I must consider the option of one of these for my go-pro....
I've got a Sony AS30V:

Not sure how it is with the Go Pros, but with the Sony the waterproof housing does not have a hole for the mic jack, for obvious reasons. So, I bought a 2nd housing and drilled a hole in the bottom for the mic. It's still weather proof and will protect the camera from grit and grime from the road.

The 'proper' way to do it is to get a lens protector and a skeletal housing, but I prefer having the whole thing covered as much as possible while exposed to the elements and stones potentially hitting it at 60mph.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nice, i got the Sony AS100v
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you want to do the external mic mod Jim, get the earlier SPK-AS1 case, and drill like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvtky1GA3Us

I ended up removing the clasp and just secure the front with elastic bands because I couldn't find an extension cable with a slim enough plug on it, and the clasp was pinching the wire. In hindsight I probably should have just found a slim plug from a set of headphones and used that instead. May do that if I can find another cheap case, actually.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”