The last drive.

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

The last drive.

Post by d-peg »

I had a visit to Patrick arranged for today. It was to pick up a few bits to hopefully ready Sonic for MoT. However, I decided that it was time to part company and let someone else take him on as a project. A friend of Patrick's would be having a look at him with view to buy if he liked.

So last night i stuck on the rev5 wheels, removed the tow bar, sorted a few little bits and even put him through the car wash. .. I know, unbelievable huh!

An early rise this morning to make the 90 minute drive down to Bexhill. It's a beautiful set of roads (interrupted by a small motorway stint). One last run between two good friends. We drop down into the Alkham Valley, a road we know well from constant visits to Michael in Folkestone. Weaving traffic-less corners together, perfect down-shifting accompanied by the cheeky pop from the Mongoose.

The M20 is a10 mile bore but it starts with a tunnel :D .. I pull onto the motorway alongside an oil-burning rep wagon of some European brand. He looks at me wondering why i am holding 4500rpm in 3rd with my windows down. The puzzlement changes to a smile as i enter the tunnel and nail it. A decatted Mongoose at 7krpm in a tunnel is a pure joy. :)

The last 30 miles are pretty much all tight a-roads or B's. Across the Romney Marsh, flat it may be but straight it is not! There are some amazing corners. As I passed the wind turbines alongside Dungeness, it dawned on me … 'this may be our last drive together' … and I started to feel a little melancholic.

So I slow down…

It becomes less about connecting apexes and more about what I believe will be our last ride. For our last 20 miles we trot along merrily as if my gran was in the passenger seat. He has a new home now, his new custodian Chris has big plans of restoration and improvement. He will be happy there :)

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Mrs_smitty
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: The last drive.

Post by Mrs_smitty »

A good last drive is always the saddest, I know I did it twice, once with my red one then with the Viper :crybaby:
Glad Sonic has gone to a good home but I some how feel a family member of the OC has passed away :no:
Hopefully the new owner will bring her along to JAE one yr so we can all see how she is doing ?
I`m sure it wont be long before theres another one on the drive though :th:

New Hubby, New House, New start what more could i want ?

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

A fitting last run dude, a great car that has served you well :th: glad you kept the towbar who is getting that?
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Good write up! :)

Sad to move a good car on but sometimes it's just the right time.

Turns out that my last run in the green car is almost certain to be the (walk?) of shame from an MOT failure, so could have been worse!
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”