From home to Patrick's ... and back ;)

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

From home to Patrick's ... and back ;)

Post by d-peg »

Well...

To day was the day that 'Baby Sonic' got his oil change and in that gained an extra 2krpm of fun. I went to bed last night feeling a little 'funny' about my new acquisition. Having clocked up my run-in miles I opted to take Rachel's mk2 (F'anni) to work yesterday instead. It feels a much more 'grown up' car, less rattles and squeaks. So getting up this morning was a little strange because I didn't really get what Toyota meant when they made the mk3. Sure it handles far better, more poised and sure-footed but it doesn't make you feel as special as you do cocooned in the mk2 driver's seat.

So 7am this morning, thermals on, work-clothes and out to the car. I pulled my temporary cover off the coils for the last time and closed the engine lid. Checked the weather app on the phone - dry-day, the early morning sky filled with fantastic oranges, reds and pinks as the sun starts to break. I'll drop the roof for a change, I've not had it down yet...

Gently gently, we're not running fully synth oil Dan. Along the bypass toward Dover and take a look over my shoulder at the rising sun. Now ... now I get the car. I've never had a convertible and the freedom it gives is incredible. Strangely, I think there's less wind in the car at speed than the mk2 t-bar? But the whole 'no obstructions and open to the elements / heavens is such a feeling.

So I get to Patrick's after a wonderful early morning drive, empty roads and one sketchy moment where a pillock in a pick up truck thought it might be a good idea to turn in front of me on a blind bend across double white lines. Baby Sonic looked after me there ;) .. Dom, Stewart and Andy are already there, chewing the fat as all MR2 owners know how to do.

We get the car on the ramp and Patrick takes care of proceedings for me while I see to Andy's inspection panel. The alloy box thing means the roof cannot fold flat so a bit of fab work on a flat alloy sheet and it should mean his soft-top can sit that little lower. I'm sure he'll post his own pic of that. The guys also stuck my new headlight bulbs in too (Osram Nightbreakers).

Russ joins us, I was unaware he was popping down and totally agree that a mini-meet at Pat's is far better than fitting a new loo! More talking ensued as it always does while we tidy up the last few bits :)

Hometime...

Lift here we come :cool1:

Andy, Russ and I set off, Ashford-bound.

The 2zz is a clever bit of kit. It will not allow lift all the while the engine isn't up to temp (I am guessing on the oil temp). So coming out of Bexhill is never really that much fun but I suppose it allowed the engine up to temp correctly. As the road opened, lets see if the lift solenoid is working properly.. 3000 ..... 4000 ..... 5000 ....6000 WAAAAAHHHHH!.. Yep, that works, OH YES it does :D

I can see Andy grinning in my rear-view ... he's grinning because he can see how wide my smile is! THIS is what this car should have been powered with from day one. As the traffic diminishes and the roads become more rural (and twisty) We all open the taps and enjoy the mini-run. Corner after corner, keeping the car in lift through the cogs. AWESOME!

We get to Rye and stop for a spot of lunch at the chippie.

So after food we crack on, taking the Camber Sands route, rather than the Military road route (smoother tarmac ;) )... On we go, much the same as before, though less hungry :D .. I do enjoy a good MR2 convoy, even if only 3. Andy's car looming large in my mirror and Russ not far behind, such a sexy profile the mk2. We are all agreed the mk3 is not about the looks!

We're let down by traffic on the Brenzett road and at the end Russ waves his goodbye's and boots off toward home. Andy and I head down the M20. Wow that V6 has some grunt. We play each other our passing soundtracks several times. The V6 on load is glorious, if only funds would allow hahaha! I'll settle for the 2zz. :cool1:

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Re: From hone to Patrick's ... and back ;)

Post by stuMR2lee »

Well done Dan. Glad you are getting the MK3. I miss ours and regret selling it. Great handling cars and a lot of fun with the roof down.

Good to meet up with Andy, Patrick, & yourself this morning for a bit of parts trading. Sorry we missed Russ.

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

Really good to see you all lads.

Thanks Stu and Dom for running my parts over. Really kind.

The run home was epic. Still grinning.

I tried to hide my smiling from Dan so that it didn't egg him on to spend more time in lift and in danger of being blamed for blowing up his new engine.

I couldn't do it so stuck my bumper up to his.

A 2ZZ is the correct engine for a mk3. I'll never stop saying that even with a V6.

Those nightbreakers did the job Dan. They are very bright!

And thank you so much for this

How it should have been done in the first place. Can't wait to get everything back in now.
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by stuMR2lee »

No problem Andy. That cover looks epic:).

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: From home to Patrick's ... and back ;)

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Great read Dan :th:

And respect to all involved :th:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Post by andyroo »

Sounds like a great day,gutted I was working.:-(
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

Get that ban lifted Andy

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Yeah was a great morning. Shame we had to get away to get another mr2 up and running but it now is so all is well in the world :) i think i might have to stop looking at cheap mk3s as i dont have space for 2 impractical cars! Haha

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None

Post by TonyleFrog »

Nice write up. :th:
d-peg wrote:Russ joins us, I was unaware he was popping down and totally agree that a mini-meet at Pat's is far better than fitting a new loo! More talking ensued as it always does while we tidy up the last few bits :)
I knew Russ was going as we had talked about it at the Kent meet. I was going to join you (and take the opportunity to take some seaside pics of T2) but as I set off the steering seemed a tad heavy and then I heard an ominous click. Yep, some c*** had inserted a self tapping screw into the tread of my n/s/f tyre! (I think I know who may be responsible but I have no way of proving it). It was OK the day before when I got home.

I also discovered that the tyre was down to 12psi. Tried inflating it but it wouldn't hold any higher pressure and I didn't want to risk it deflating completely. By the time I had removed the wheel, taken it down to the tyre shop, waited for it to be done, and got back home, I had lost so much time I decided to abort the mission.
d-peg wrote:So after food we crack on, taking the Camber Sands route, rather than the Military road route (smoother tarmac ;) )...
Gutted that I missed out on some twisties action. :crybaby:

Guess why my Kent Runs never use the latter heading north from Rye... Image

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”