Mountain diversion

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Mountain diversion

Post by pbmr2 »

Hey all,

Out in France with the 2 and thought I`d start a little topic about some of the roads and trips around the area I`m in.

So fast forward to Grenoble after 650 miles of overnight driving from the UK. Now very much daylight and in theory only about 120km from the target of Briancon way up in the mountains. Briancon is the highest town in europe and there is a lovely mountain road to reach it from Grenoble.

Roll off the motorway onto the single lane route national roads ready for the climb into the mountains and looking forward to a great driving road I`ve enjoyed many times and know fairly well. There is a fair amount of traffic which may slow things down a little or promote some more overtaking.

Potter on at some quite sedate speeds, still on the flats of the valleys, when quite a few signs pop up saying the mountain road D1091 is closed due to a tunnel collapse :no: Now what, will I have to double back and go via the expensive Frejus motorway tunnel into Itally? Nah I`ll find my way down the back roads to Gap and drive up from there, it`ll be more fun and less expensive.

The diversion to Gap was pointing up a high road over the mountains that takes a long 80ish km route to Gap. The other choice is the larger but longer route further to the west. Opted for the supplied diversion to try something new.

Said diversion was the N85 https://www.google.fr/maps/dir/72+Route ... 756604!1m0

OMFG what an amazingly good road. Mile after mile of sweeping bends, hairpins and open or crested straights :notworthy: Somehow the traffic all pulled over, turned off or stayed in the right lane on the few dual carriageway sections to leave just an empty, sun drenched road ahead of me and the 2.

Testing the limits of grip, balance, change of direction and plotting some very enjoyable lines on one of the most flowing, fast and seemingly never ending mountain roads I`ve ever had the pleasure of driving. Even though the 2 was fully loaded with holiday kit, tools and I had no idea what was round the next bend or over the next crest, it sucked up the road in comfort and at speed. The smooth inputs needed to tame the mid engine make for a great flowing and relaxed style of driving even when pressing on.

80km flew by and all too soon the lovely market town of Gap was upon me. There was plenty of slow moving saturday afternoon traffic in town but this was water off a duck`s back while still beaming from the N85. The MR2 being a rare sight in France caused a bit of a stir as it rolled by the pedestrians, with many turning round to hold a longer gaze. Small children pointing and pulling excited faces while tugging on their guardian`s hand. Amazing how much joy one small car can bring to so many people.

Now out of town and pressing on towards Briancon the traffic was quite heavy, pulled over and popped out the T-bars to enjoy some slow motoring in the sun and the end of a long days driving. 753 miles from home in a single hop.

Knowing that road is there on the journey home is almost making me wish the 2 weeks were over already just to enjoy it all again. Not so fast, it`s not the only great road in the area and will be a great finish to the alps at the end of the trip.

But for now, on with the rest of the trip and the other amazing roads that will be explored over the coming weeks.

"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Re: Mountain diversion

Post by Howlin_Mad »

:postpics:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

No dash cam and only camera is my phone, which can`t be used while driving :no:

But, will make sure there are some pics of the rest of the roads and will stop for a pic of the N85 on the way home. :th:

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

pbmr2 wrote:Opted for the supplied diversion to try something new.

Said diversion was the N85 https://www.google.fr/maps/dir/72+Route ... 756604!1m0

OMFG what an amazingly good road. Mile after mile of sweeping bends, hairpins and open or crested straights :notworthy:
You mean to say that you have only just discovered the famed Route Napoléon! :blink:

If you think that's a bit tasty, have you tried the southern section? If not, you should. :)

Digne -> Castellane -> Grasse.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

The crazy thing is I lived in Briancon for 10 years!! Just never needed to go from Grenob`to Gap before. The Col du Lautaret would be the normal route but it`s closed ATM. Was chatting with some locals yesterday and they said there is a sneaky way past the blockage but it`s not suitable for anything larger than a small car so they closed signs stay up. Also it`s not snow cleared so when it snows it could be blocked.

If going south on small roads I`d normally start with the Col d'izoard and then pickup the D64 all the way to the coast, going past Barcelonnette. This time of year many of the smaller roads are shut but the RNs are normally fine.

Never tried the road to Digne, normally get on the motorway at Tallard.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

pbmr2 wrote:The Col du Lautaret would be the normal route but it`s closed ATM.
Somewhat inconvenient if you want to go from Briancon to Grenoble. :blink:
Presumably you have to head south via Gap. Or is the road east into Italy open?
Then via the Fréjus tunnel/A43/A41. Quite a diversion either way!
pbmr2 wrote:If going south on small roads I`d normally start with the Col d'izoard and then pickup the D64 all the way to the coast, going past Barcelonnette. This time of year many of the smaller roads are shut but the RNs are normally fine.
Ah, the Col de la Bonette. :)

One thing intrigues me. The road number changes from D64 to M2205 at the bridge over La Tinée. The same thing happens where La Tinée joins the Var, the D6202 becomes the M6202. Likewise at the Col de Vance, the D2 changes to M2 and at the Col de La Couillole, the D30 to M30. The M prefix also applies to the all the roads along La Vésubie and in its surrounding area.

IIRC the local authority in each Département in France is the Commune. Is the re-numbering a speciality of those in this part of Hautes-Alpes?

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

don`t really know about the numbering, a lot of it has changed recently. the d1091 used to be the RN91 but the RNs are being fazed out.

Didn`t go far yesterday or today, just over to the next valley and back. Stopped and took a couple of pics of the high road, but can`t remember my sign in details for photobucket and I`m using someone else`s laptop. My pc remembers these things for me :)

will keep snapping pics and then update this either when i can be bothered to work out my password or once back in the uk.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

the weather was so nice today that the roof came off!! first ever drive with the t-bars out. loved it.

Only went to Oulx in Italy to drop a mate off at the train station and then up the to Monetier for lunch in the sun at the bottom of the piste.

Love having the roof off, nice and quick too.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Drove up the Col du Lautaret for a coffee and some pictures today. Was in a nice calm slow driving mood but the road sucked me in and I ended up trashing the nuts off the car all the way to the top. Really pressing on round the bends and using the mid engine to exit nice and hard.

Still finding the relative numbness of the steering a limiting factor when pressing on. The tyres seem to have lots to give and don`t struggle with damp patches. Just can`t really feel whats going on at the front. Maybe coming from an mx5 and being the past owner of a 924 has got me used to more feeling from the steering?

Still lovely to pick smooth lines and exploit the rear grip out of corners, feeding it into the slower and sharper bends. Loads of fun. Keeping the revs above 4k to keep the engine alive too.

Took some pictures but still can`t log into photobucket. oh well will keep trying.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Double post.
Last edited by pbmr2 on 20/03/16 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

pbmr2 wrote:Drove up the Col du Lautaretfor a coffee and some pictures today.

Took some pictures but still can`t log into photobucket. oh well will keep trying.
Teaser!

While we're waiting...
CLICKY

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

ok that was one major mission. French apple laptop Vs UK Android phone Vs my crazy passwords Vs apple photos Vs photobuckets crappy upload function. Anyway.. in some kind of order, here are some pics.

First morning

2nd day in the snow on the way across the mountain

Today

The other day

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

I am so sorry for the slapdash presentation of those photos. I`ll do a much better job with more of the pics, in the correct order, with descriptions.

It was quite the task to get that far with the kit I have to hand.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

pbmr2 wrote:I am so sorry for the slapdash presentation of those photos. I`ll do a much better job with more of the pics, in the correct order, with descriptions.
I doubt anyone will notice. :) These two were fairly easy to wor out.

The tables are the clue - https://goo.gl/maps/2s8Egp4HDAQ2

The crossing and road signs in this one - https://goo.gl/maps/GEyhnRevFmF2

The height restriction warning is for the Tunnel des Ardoisières near La Grave.
https://goo.gl/maps/3oTJYed3wgA2

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”