Scotland mini-tour

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Scotland mini-tour

Post by S81933 »

Just back from 4 days in Scotland with mine, 1290 miles, not a murmur from it. Very enjoyable, especially the twisty bits. For those with geographic knowledge, or who would like to check on Google Maps, the single track cross-country border road from Hawick, through Roberton, to Tushielaw and then Traquair; 27 miles, no vehicles, just sheep! Also, the stretch from the Loch Katrine turn off at the head of Loch Achray down to Aberfoyle, twists and turns like mad. Got as far as the Mull of Galloway, the most southernly point in Scotland.
galloway lighthouse.jpg
Only saw three other MR2's, all MK2, two parked in the driveway of a house in Craigryan, the other parked on a stretch of grass beside the A14, the Ipswich side of Bury St. Edmunds - club members, either of them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Scotland mini-tour

Post by TonyleFrog »

S81933 wrote:For those with geographic knowledge, or who would like to check on Google Maps, the single track cross-country border road from Hawick, through Roberton, to Tushielaw and then Traquair; 27 miles, no vehicles, just sheep!
B711/B709. Looks like a great alternative to the main drag via Selkirk (A7/A707/A72).
I'm doing a tour of the Highlands in September so I'll give it a try on the way back.

If your destination is Edinburgh you then have a choice.
Via Peebles - A7062/A703/A6094/B7026/A701
Via Innerleithen - B709/B7007/A7
S81933 wrote:Also, the stretch from the Loch Katrine turn off at the head of Loch Achray down to Aberfoyle, twists and turns like mad.
Only 6 miles but the Duke's Pass is superb. :th: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdW9mSqXvM
North to south is probably better for first timers as the tricky bits are mostly uphill.
Going the other way in an adrenaline ride on the way down and will really test your brakes.

However, here's how NOT to do it. :rolleyes: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kvg2MfcBm0
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Scotland mini-tour

Post by S81933 »

Tony, you could enjoy it! I wasn't heading for Edinburgh, avoiding it more. I was heading for Carnwath, then back towards Edinburgh on A70, then down to Kirknewton, where I used to live around 60 years ago. It is still there, so is our old house, although covered in scaffolding!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”