Tuscany road trip 2016

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Tuscany road trip 2016

Post by dawesy »

And so begins our trip to Tuscany in the 2. Currently at the first stop in Dover. 200 miles from my door to here and only half a tank of fuel (used a quarter just sat on the M25 for 90mins)
Tomorrow we get the ferry to Dunkique then a run down to Reims for some pictures and a leg stretch them on to our second stopover in Metz.
This is our route and stops
Here we are at the Ramada in Dover
More updates as signal allows [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Tuscany road trip 2016

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Enjoy :D
I am off to Edinburgh on Monday night Easyjet (Family break)
I would rather be driving . :sad:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Looking forward to the updates Lee :th:

Have a great trip and raise a glass to Les for me (even though I never met him).

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Early start (5am) as we thought the road to the port may get busy. Turned out it was clear and we got to passport control for 5:30. Got put on the 6am crossing, 2hrs earlier than we should have gone.
Took the Autoroute down to Reims, no traffic on here either. Stopped at the old track for some pictures etc and now just about to set off to Metz.
ImageImage

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by notroubleclubber »

Over the last year or so I've read these sort of threads and really fancied giving it ago.
I've never driven in another country before...but would love to sample some of these fantastic roads people seem to go on when doing these sorts of trips.

Topic author
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Tbh this is my first time driving on the continent and I'll admit I was a little nervous before we got here but it's ok. Great autoroutes with little traffic and sooo smooth. Helps if you have a codriver though [emoji6]
I'd recommend it [emoji106]

Topic author
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Also currently getting an average of 28.7mpg. Which for the spec of the car I'm happy with [emoji4]

Topic author
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

sorry for the lack of updates but the second leg to Innsbruck took 10 hours, roadworks on the A8 between Stuttgart and Ulm.
Then after Arriving at the Hotel in Tuscany i decided that id go for a swim in the pool. This would have been fine if id remembered to remove my phone from my pocket :facepalm:
Anyway the hotel was great, With amazing views of the surrounding Apennine mountains.
During our stay we visited Pagani, both Ferrari and Lamborghini museums also Florence, pisa and Modena.
Covering a total of 2661 miles during the trip the car was fantastic. Averaging 28MPG, Fuel consumption was better than i expected.
Coming back on the Innsbruck>Metz leg I got 290 miles out of the tank before refueling (two bars above minimum) and that was including the autobahn where for ages we were at 100+ MPH for miles Chasing S63 AMG's, Panamera's ETC :th:
What can i say about Italy? Its an amazing place and one that ill definitely be revisiting. Fabulous Architecture, Amazing Scenery and the best food I've ever had, Be warned if you go you'll definitely gain a few pounds :crybaby:
one highlight was coming out of the Maranello Museum, Walking back to the car and spending 20 mins talking to an Italian guy in a Ferrari top carrying a walky talky about my MR2. he'd been admiring it as we walked back to the car. i was very humbled that this guy, Although surrounded by millions of pounds of prancing horses (they were selling test drives all around the outside of the museum) was impressed and interested by my car, In fact the 2 got a lot of admiring glances everywhere we drove. That said i didn't see another MR2 of any mark our whole time in Italy.
I have loads of pictures and ill post them up after sorting and uploading them but for now all ill say is do a long distance road trip in your 2, You'll love it :notworthy:

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by pbmr2 »

Glad you had fun! Europe has so much to offer the motorist :D It's an amazingly comfortable long distance car and laps up the twisty roads too.

Every 2 driver should try it!!
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

yeah i enjoyed a spirited drive back from Modena to Comano down the Autostrada. i was following another guy in our party in a VX220 Turbo. we had a great blast as that road is a 130Kmh limit and is quite twisty with lots of tunnels :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”