The return of Kermit

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

The return of Kermit

Post by d-peg »

Kermit is BACK! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

It has been too long since this boy was on the road.

Rach & I set off Saturday morning from our place in Sandwich, through the twisties to Bexhill to collect him. Rach is not a 'morning person' so let me drive F'Anni - we had a nice gentle run, with the weather looking threatening. Getting into the W. Sussex end it brightened and was tempted to pull over and get the t-bars off (maybe helping Rachel's muggy head) but thought better of it.

As we pulled into Patrick's yard, there he was. Gleaming. Eager. Ready to go. I could not contain the grin, it was from ear to ear :D :D :D . We parked up and Patrick got the coffee on. Talked through a few things about him, what's left to do and what wasn't working. Fuel gauge :annoyed: .. I guess one or two things are going to defunct themselves when sat for 6 1/2 years. No trouble, I have spares at home.

So after a coffee and 45 minutes Patrick says with a puzzled expression "Are you gonna take him fro a run or what??" My shiny car sat there waiting for me to drive, he was confused why it wasn't the first thing I did - which I do understand but, to be honest, I was a little overcome with excitement and emotion. Another 'journey' with him to get him where he is now, closing old chapters and starting a new.

A briefing from Patrick (which I had guessed would be the case anyway), the brand new brakes need bedding in and the clutch shakes the living daylights out of the car when you pull away. It's a 6-puck clutch, great for power transmission - not so smooth and a bit heavy on the left leg. I turn the key for the first time while in the drivers seat.. Immobiliser on the alarm stops me briefly (I'm glad it all still works), blip the alarm and try again ... He fires up. The start up on a 2GR sounds different even though it's the same motor, it sounds more like a sports car. The 3S is a chug-chug-chug fire, the 3VZ was the same. This is more refined, balanced, adult, a whizz-whurr fire. :th:

To hear the exhaust note for the first time live is beautiful. I can look beyond the baffle rattle (which we are fixing this eve) and hear a gloriously rich sports car note. No thumping deep tones here, this is all mids and highs.... I couldn't have done it better if I made it myself .. oh wait?!? :laughing :laughing

I gently raise the revs, the DBW throttle pedal is extremely sensitive, it'll take some miles to get fully accustomed. Gingerly raising the clutch to find the biting point - LURCH - THERE IT IS! Ok - so it's more of a switch :rofl: .. To be fair it's more operator error than the car - though it is bedding in. I'm used to the 330d which has a lot of travel and feel, this is just 'more' (it has settled the more miles I've put on it which is good :th: )

Rolling out in first I head for the petrol station around the corner and brim the tank. I'd rather be certain than running dry. Heading out of Bexhill to a bypass I get my first experience of 2GR-Kermit...

:w_tf: :w_tf: :w_tf: :w_tf: :w_tf:

How is this even possible? On Falken 225s in second, a hard rolling pull and I am thrown into the back of my seat - Neck-snappingly quick acceleration with no tyre spin. I am mightily impressed. After a couple of miles I turn back and return to Patrick's where he and Rach are waiting with baited breath and nervous faces. The fact my grin arrived a couple of seconds before the bonnet put all fears to rest! I've driven many quick cars, this is not the fastest car I've driven, but boy have I spent my money right. Bang for buck is out of this world :D

Monsieur leFrog arrived for a bit of remedial work on T2 and - as always does with MR2 owners - much chewing of the fat ensued! :) . Tony departs, Rach and I talk through a few more things with Patrick and we head off home..... I begins to rain. :sad: Not heavily but enough to keep me in-check.

Luckily, as we get to my favourite section between Westfield & Rye the weather breaks and we're graced with some drying road and no traffic... How does it handle.... To be completely honest, it handles like a brand new car. It's poly-bushed, HSD coilovers, custom droplinks and a full geo setup. The dampers are a couple of clicks in from fully soft and I can honestly say it is as comfortable as brand new stock suspension. No crashing, banging or bumping - a slightly stiffer than stock feel without the harshness that coilovers generally bring. This is MR2 motoring eutopia.

Getting a feel for feeding the power on through linking lefts and rights and how the weight distribution has changed comes very quickly though I am not using full beans just yet. I reserve that for straight, open roads. Having only just got him back I do not want stupidity, over-eagerness or my ego to bin him.

After a couple of miles we're back behind traffic again and I can settle and appreciate what I have achieved here. I feel reunited with an old friend, one that gave me nothing but grief but still loved him like a brother all the same. He's the one in the pub, standing on the bar, pants around his ankles doing a 'helicopter' making woo-woo noises. Or he was. He used to be that shouty 'look at me' character and in certain respects he most definitely still is but now he's graced with a more civilised approach to life.

So looking beyond my hyperbole what do I mean? Well, Kermit of old was loud ... VERY LOUD! Motorway cruising was bad, he just droned and droned. Don't get me wrong, drop a couple of cogs and nail it he was superb but shouty. Now, with this new engine and exhaust combo I (we) have created something special, something that can sit at 80 .... err ... 70 and still hold a conversation - and that's before I refit the firewall carpet!

The exhaust for me is the greatest achievement and ticks nearly every box (I'm planning a mk2 but not just yet). I'm a bit more grown up these days, I can't have something silly that makes me look like a daddy-chav ... actually that should be grand-daddy-chav. I need something that can cruise on a motorway without furrowing my brow through noise, something that I am not afraid of upsetting everyone should I need to leave home at 4am. But importantly, when I want to release my inner child, I can drop it 2 cogs and nail it... THAT'S when it needs to be noisy :) :) :)

Now - that is exactly what he does.

HE'S BACK!

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: The return of Kermit

Post by Torero »

That is an awesome account Dan and I can picture Patrick telling you..."Are you gonna take him for a run or what??" :)

Strange to think that after all these years Kermit is back - I recall seeing him at the Ace Café in 2010 (I think that was the year) and admiring how good he looked. Now he's even better, great to see you've bonded with the old guy once again.

It seems hard to believe but 10 months ago I was Chatting to Pete Bingham at JAE and he was giving me the low down on the new availability of the 2GR and we were looking forward to a new injection of life for the MR2 marque. I didn't think it would be this quick that we'd see one up and running that's very impressive.

Great to see it given a new lease of life and great to see you guys so pleased with it. Catch you at JAE this year and who knows maybe I'll renew my ownership fairly soon.

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

Thanks John :)

It was Ace Cafe! Dave Purdue's meet. I remember :) Was a good night and one of the last times he was on the road. Defo catch up at JAE :)

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by pbmr2 »

Great tale you told there Dan, sounds like you are one of the early mr2 2gr owners who couldn't be happier with the big, powerful v6 providing the thump.

Having played with the 350z and our neighbour's Evora, I can see the appeal of the modern v6 engines. The noise alone is amazing, but the power delivery is effortless.

I hope it's the best thing you've ever driven and carries on being that for a long time :D
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

We shall see what occurs ;)
Evora huh! same engine :D unless it was an Evora S in which case it has some funny big thing on top that mine does not have :laughing

As you say, they're effortless. Took my ex-stepson out with us last night tunnel-running and put it in 5th at 30mph and floored it. You can feel the torque wanting to get carried away. Love it :D

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

nice one dude, I'm so happy for you... :clapping: :th:

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by pbmr2 »

Have you got the traction control or is it all zero driver aids?
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None

Post by TonyleFrog »

d-peg wrote: 07/08/17 15:06 It was Ace Cafe! Dave Purdue's meet. I remember :) Was a good night and one of the last times he was on the road.
Did it have the TWO Reg no back then? If not, what was it?
pbmr2 wrote: 07/08/17 15:39 Great tale you told there Dan, sounds like you are one of the early mr2 2gr owners who couldn't be happier with the big, powerful v6 providing the thump.
There are several who have already been down this road.
I have driven 2 of them: gavsdavs* and Wizzle.**
ayresyboy also has one is his Mk3.

*288.3 bhp **290.8bhp @Surrey Rolling Road, February 2016
That said, forget the bhp figures. It's that meaty flat torque curve that counts.
It makes everything effortless. For UK roads there is no question that it is the way to go.

Unfortunately for me, I will have to sell some body parts to partake. Mine, not the car's... ;)

It was hugely entertaining to see Dan at Patrick's.
He was like a little kid in a sweetshop
One who had just been told he can grab as much as he wants. :laughing

Hmmm. I recognise the location for those pics - https://goo.gl/maps/9DiHjY4HQgQ2
Somebody is preparing to make some noise in a tunnel - https://goo.gl/maps/pUTN9ExQnGw :yahoo:
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

WOO HOOO so pleased for you :th: :th: :th:

I look forward to seeing you, Rach and Kermit soon hopefully

:-D
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Looking Goood cant wait to hear it on Sunday :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

nice one Dan
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Great write up Dan :yahoo:

It was you who reminded me that the last time I saw Kermit out on the road was 2010. I couldn't quite believe it had been so long.

I seriously take my hat off to you for bringing him back to us after all this time. A real credit to your work and determination.

Can't wait to see it at JAE (all being well) :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

pbmr2 wrote: 07/08/17 17:14 Have you got the traction control or is it all zero driver aids?
No Traction control, no ABS and sketchy driver ability :laughing
TonyleFrog wrote: 07/08/17 17:18
d-peg wrote: 07/08/17 15:06 It was Ace Cafe! Dave Purdue's meet. I remember :) Was a good night and one of the last times he was on the road.
Did it have the TWO Reg no back then? If not, what was it?
pbmr2 wrote: 07/08/17 15:39 Great tale you told there Dan, sounds like you are one of the early mr2 2gr owners who couldn't be happier with the big, powerful v6 providing the thump.
There are several who have already been down this road.
I have driven 2 of them: gavsdavs* and Wizzle.**
ayresyboy also has one is his Mk3.

*288.3 bhp **290.8bhp @Surrey Rolling Road, February 2016
That said, forget the bhp figures. It's that meaty flat torque curve that counts.
It makes everything effortless. For UK roads there is no question that it is the way to go.

Unfortunately for me, I will have to sell some body parts to partake. Mine, not the car's... ;)

It was hugely entertaining to see Dan at Patrick's.
He was like a little kid in a sweetshop
One who had just been told he can grab as much as he wants. :laughing

Hmmm. I recognise the location for those pics - https://goo.gl/maps/9DiHjY4HQgQ2
Somebody is preparing to make some noise in a tunnel - https://goo.gl/maps/pUTN9ExQnGw :yahoo:
You are indeed correct - we stopped after the third run :D
oddshoes wrote: 07/08/17 20:32 WOO HOOO so pleased for you :th: :th: :th:

I look forward to seeing you, Rach and Kermit soon hopefully

:-D
Cheers dude :D

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 07/08/17 20:52 Looking Goood cant wait to hear it on Sunday :D
Indeed :D
peteV6R5 wrote: 07/08/17 22:25 nice one Dan
Cheers Pete :D
MR2Jay wrote: 08/08/17 5:32 Great write up Dan :yahoo:

It was you who reminded me that the last time I saw Kermit out on the road was 2010. I couldn't quite believe it had been so long.

I seriously take my hat off to you for bringing him back to us after all this time. A real credit to your work and determination.

Can't wait to see it at JAE (all being well) :th:
Had a lot go on in-between now and then - but glad to have him back ... and to free the lift up for 'other things' :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”