I can see clearly now the roof has gone

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

I can see clearly now the roof has gone

Post by MR2Jay »

Picture the scene, it's been a tough day on site dealing with the endless queries and changes requested by the design team and installers and you hear that the M11 is partailly closed due to a burst water main. The dread begins to build as you know that the traffic back to Northampton from Cambridge is going to be disgraceful whichever main artery you chose to take.....

Then the penny drops. Today IS different....You don't have your normal daily diesel, you have your new MK3 Roadster....Suddenly the drive back seems a little less daunting.

The sun is out so the roof comes off, the key turns firing up the engine and you slip the SMT box into "S". You are off.

As you head out of Cambridge, you are acutely aware that you don't know this car. This is the first drive out and the little quirks and challenges of this car are unknown. But that doesn't matter. The sun is out, the roof is off and you are slowly making your way out.

At the first available opportunity, I turn off the main road and hit a few twisty back lanes. The traffic is gone following "Jane" or "Emma" or whatever robotic voice eminates from their sat nav. No, this road is mine. I gradually wind up the engine, knocking the gear lever to select a higher gear. She is starting to talk to me, teasing me, daring me to push harder. I start to feed the steering, testing the response as it nimbly switches direction. I spot my reflection in the rear view mirror and catch myself smiling. Yes, this little roadster is beginning to awaken my slumbering petrolhead heart. Slowly the confidence builds and I'm up and down the gears, flicking the car left, right, left. Every move is instantly transferred to the car. I finally understand what the lure of the Roadster is :th:

No matter what faults the car has (and there are quite a few), it's soul is very much intact. Behind the groaning bearings, the tired out springs, the creaking dashboard beats the heart of a true Roadster designed to be nothing else. The SMT gearbox suddenly makes complete sense to me as although it is an alien concept flowing through the gears with no clutch, it leaves you to concentrate on driving the car.

I owned a Roadster before that I built from the bottom up but I never got her out on a proper drive. She was sold before I got the chance. No they aren't that quick, no, they aren't that good looking but look past that and take one out for a drive. The poise and balance is what makes these little cars. It's not about the speed, it's about the experience and with the sun out, the roof off and the road tempting, then these tick all the right boxes. If you haven't tried one, You're missing out :th:

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

MRHAPPY62
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: I can see clearly now the roof has gone

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

They really are good fun :D
I had a manual one for a few months as a project even took it on a wet Kent run.
Still love my MK2 for looks and character :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

MR2Jay wrote: 05/10/18 18:43 No they aren't that quick, no, they aren't that good looking but look past that and take one out for a drive. The poise and balance is what makes these little cars. It's not about the speed, it's about the experience and with the sun out, the roof off and the road tempting, then these tick all the right boxes. If you haven't tried one, You're missing out :th:
You could be describing a MK1 T-bar, all the same reasons (other than looks) that led me to buy one :cool1: :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

muchosgustos

Post by muchosgustos »

Could you see all obstacles in your way?

Topic author
MR2Jay
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

muchosgustos wrote: 06/10/18 15:04 Could you see all obstacles in your way?

Thankfully, yes :laughing
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by notroubleclubber »

Ive yet to try a mk3.
I always thought they had a bit of the “hairdressers” image about them however after seeing a few with bodykits on i dont really think they look too bad at all.

Ok so the engine is slow but nothing a k swap or turbo conversion cant sort.

Mmmmm, yes i must try one of these. Funny enough we maybe looking to chop in the never ending misery of the mini one the missus has...... i wonder if she could manage with a two seater.....

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

notroubleclubber wrote: 08/10/18 13:01 Ive yet to try a mk3

Mmmmm, yes i must try one of these. Funny enough we maybe looking to chop in the never ending misery of the mini one the missus has...... i wonder if she could manage with a two seater.....
As long as you get your weekly shopping delivered ;)
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

bigchris350

Post by bigchris350 »

i couldnt agree with this post more about the cazr

they handle so so good and the balance is very much there im currentley looking for one ....

just spotted this post is from 2018 lol

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

:laughing I think the red box telling you it's 3 1/2 years old is a clue ;)
I wouldn't worry, most of us have done same at some stage :)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”