Meet ups

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Paicey

Meet ups

Post by Paicey »

So who organises the little meets or get together? It seems the central south is a bit lacking lol there are loads of places to meet so how come so few seem to happen?

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Meet ups

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

As i said yesterday at Goodwood Nothing happens in Sussex ! Don't know why , but Kent are more than happy to welcome us :clapping:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Kyyanno
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Kyyanno »

Think it's mostly because a) we don't have an area rep and b) it's a bit wooly as to just exactly where the borders fall - most seem to go for the SW or SE regions as it's a bit more defined.
Show & Shine winner - March '14

1991 Rev 1 G-Limited (Super Edition! Yay stickers! :D ) with Rogue Rev 3 Turbo engine conversion, n/a Mongoose exhaust, HKS filter & BOV.

Freemantle
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by Freemantle »

I'm in Newbury and would definitely be up for a more meet around the Berkshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Withshire areas any Shire around Newbury.

Topic author
Paicey

Post by Paicey »

There must be a decent amount of people in the Portsmouth, Southampton, Chichester, Basingstoke/newbury, Guildford area (and places in between) surely? I have seen there are meets on portsdown hill or have been. Come on guys, get your cars out....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

Kyyanno wrote:Think it's mostly because a) we don't have an area rep
I have never quite got why people who want a meet always seem to wait for someone else to step up to the plate. If you want something to happen the solution lies in your hands. So be pro-active.

I started the Kent Run 7 years ago because I preferred driving to static meets like Bluewater.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/80/94356. ... un#p962060
I didn't have Regional Rep status (and still don't): I just went ahead and got on with it!

Nobody has complained or given me a red card for doing so. :)

I'm fortunate as where I live enables me to attend both the Kent and Essex monthly pub meets as well. If a static event involves food and (non alcoholic) drink, count me in!
Kyyanno wrote: and b) it's a bit wooly as to just exactly where the borders fall - most seem to go for the SW or SE regions as it's a bit more defined.
As a rough guide South Central would probably cover Hants, Berks, Bucks, and Oxon. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 5-1974.png

Wilts seems to fall more naturally into the South West camp.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/63/163484.html

I don't think there have ever been defined borders as such. Groups will form naturally where there is support from active members. Crack on guys.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

So Where does South East fit in ? :confused1:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

PsyKen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PsyKen »

MRHAPPY62 wrote:So Where does South East fit in ? :confused1:
Going by counties, I'd say Surrey, Sussex, Kent and South London are SE.

The SE lot meet in the Maidstone (Kent) area monthly.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
My Flickr
My Car Camera Playlist

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

I love the Kent runs, However If there were Meets closer to home (Sussex) I would definately be up for it :D I cant do the Kent/Essex Evenings because I start work at 4 A.M. the next day and the Venues are over an hours drive from home :crybaby:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

firebobby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by firebobby »

I live on the Buckinghamshire_ Oxfordshire borders, I did surgest the Ace cafe as a meeting place a few weeks back, There was another MR2 there, but they shot off before we could have a chat. Whether they went on account of my postings, I don't know.

We need a TLF in all areas :D

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

MRHAPPY62 wrote:I love the Kent runs, However If there were Meets closer to home (Sussex) I would definately be up for it :D I cant do the Kent/Essex Evenings because I start work at 4 A.M. the next day and the Venues are over an hours drive from home :crybaby:
Most Kent Runs cross the border into the the far south east of East Sussex.
One or two have been known to stray much further to the west in that county...

Not being a Regional Rep has its advantages. :th:
I can't be accused of trespassing/muscling in on someone else's territory...

A select few may remember this Hampshire charabanc trip in 2013 (pic c/o Woody928).

Tried again the following year but had to pull the plug. :sad:
There simply weren't enough people willing to commit for me to invest the time and energy.
I'm quite happy to have another crack at a West Sussex/East Hampshire run but without adequate interest it ain't going to happen.

I'm too far away to try putting on a monthly evening pub meet like those in Kent & Essex! :no:
firebobby wrote:I live on the Buckinghamshire_ Oxfordshire borders, I did surgest the Ace cafe as a meeting place a few weeks back, There was another MR2 there, but they shot off before we could have a chat. Whether they went on account of my postings, I don't know.
It's a great venue but it's too far into London imo. Unless you're close to the M4/M40 it will take forever to reach it from most of South Central. It's one mile closer to me than the Essex meet but takes twice as long to get there. The only ones I have been to at the Ace were the two 'all MR2 clubs' events which were organised by oddshoes some years back. It would need to be something on that scale to tempt me to go again. London traffic is a major turn off AFAIAC.
firebobby wrote:We need a TLF in all areas :D
:laughing I'm spread thinner than Gentleman's Relish* as it is!!
* That's Patum Peperium (anchovy paste) for you dirty minded lot!

Topic author
Black Light

Post by Black Light »

I would be up for some more meets in south Central once my cars up and running again in a month or so. I'm near whitley so I'm pretty much as far south as you can get which means the Kent runs etc are just too much of a trek for me to go to.
Currently buzzing around on the motorbike in the mean time.

I think Hampshire jap club do a few meets in this area. Although I haven't looked recently as my car has been getting work done to it.

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Kent early runs are well worth the trek :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Black Light wrote:I would be up for some more meets in south Central once my cars up and running again in a month or so. I'm near whitley so I'm pretty much as far south as you can get which means the Kent runs etc are just too much of a trek for me to go to.
:confused1: Er, don't you mean Whiteley? Whitley is near Reading.

For a dawn run it will take you around 90 minutes, almost all on motorways and d/c, to reach the start. Up to you whether you fancy giving it a go. So far it has attracted participants from as far afield as inner London, Hertfordshire, Essex, and West Sussex so we must be doing something right...
MRHAPPY62 wrote:Kent early runs are well worth the trek :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “South Central”