I want to pop my MR2 cherry. (Hello)

A place to post Monthly meets, mini meets or any social events.

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dotty_84

I want to pop my MR2 cherry. (Hello)

Post by dotty_84 »

Hey guys, thought my first post on this forum would be in the Scotland section, keep it kind of local. I'm from West Lothian the Industrial gem :p of Scotland.

What it is, is that I've fallen for the idea of owning an MR2. Although I have a few questions if anyone could give me some sort of idea if this car is for me.

I'm 6'3 and wondering if this would be too snug for me inside and driving an MR2?

I want a car that is my pride and joy although i wouldn't want to be throwing money at it. I'd be after a rev 2,3 or 4. Fuel is fuel and MPG isn't too much of a concern on my part, it's parts and replacements that are my concern although i hear great things of the MR2 and it's reliability, i'm not really clued in on the mechanics of cars but i would be eager to learn and obviously this site, is a great help and guide. How is this for upkeep?

I'm not a tit when i'm in a car, i'm after a car that's just great to drive. And having a browse on the forum some of these drives from A to B seem like a great idea, which i'd love to be a part of. I like to work cars to get speed and far from just being a lazy driver and get speed without effort. So would i have to work the MR2 to get the best out of it?

Could this be the car for me?

goreden
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: I want to pop my MR2 cherry. (Hello)

Post by goreden »

Hi there, if you find a nice example of any revision, reliabilty shouldn't really be a problem, parts are readily available and they are pretty easy to work on, and great fun to drive
As for your height concern, i'm 6ft 4" and fit in a mk2 comfortably, much more room than a mk1, all in all they are great cars and if you get a nice one i'm sure you'll love it, i know i do
1990 rev1 mk2 3s-ge (SOLD)
1993 rev2 mk2 3s-gte (R.I.P)
1991 rev1 mk2 3s-ge G-limited T-bar (SOLD)
1991 rev1 mk2 3vz-fe V6 (SOLD)
1991 rev1 mk2 1mz-fe V6

Topic author
dotty_84

Post by dotty_84 »

Thanks, Goreden, i'd be tempted to even buy from the site as they care about their MR2, should be looked after and less likely to be fobbed on to another buyer. My work bonus can't come quick enough!

goreden
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by goreden »

Well like i say if you get a looked after one you won't really go wrong and they can be found for less than you think, i only paid £600 for my revision 1 which had over £4000 in receipts and paperwork when i got it 18 months ago, it puts some newer revisions to shame
1990 rev1 mk2 3s-ge (SOLD)
1993 rev2 mk2 3s-gte (R.I.P)
1991 rev1 mk2 3s-ge G-limited T-bar (SOLD)
1991 rev1 mk2 3vz-fe V6 (SOLD)
1991 rev1 mk2 1mz-fe V6

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

6'3" here too, it's a nice place to be. As Goredon says, parts are readily available and it's pretty easy for the DIY'er in you to fix most things, big jobs are the Cambelt and clutch/gearbox, so one with these sorted already will help. More important than revision is the condition of the chassis, I've seen Rev 1's in better condition than later Revs, get a solid one regardless of revision and you'll be laughing, besides everything is interchangeable between Revs.

As for the driving experience, you'll be hard pushed to spend under 100k and find a better platform, they are brilliant.

What's your budget? Post up on here any potentials and we'll give it a once over to see if anything odd sticks out..

Welcome and enjoy :)
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

emrrtwo
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by emrrtwo »

Hi there

I'm in only in Armadale so if fancy a closer look at one before taking the plunge let me know

Cheers

Kieran
1989 mk1b - R.I.P.
1999 Rev5 Sonic Shadow - sold June 2017
1988 mk1 Supercharger

Topic author
dotty_84

Post by dotty_84 »

sinjen wrote: What's your budget? Post up on here any potentials and we'll give it a once over to see if anything odd sticks out..

Welcome and enjoy :)
Cheers Sinjen there is one that has caught my eye due to good mileage and having a back up off reciepts and history. Plus it's pretty much standard so could do upgrades :D

2k would be my limit but looking to spend a couple hundred shy of that ideally.
Last edited by dotty_84 on 29/07/14 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
dotty_84

Post by dotty_84 »

emrrtwo wrote:Hi there

I'm in only in Armadale so if fancy a closer look at one before taking the plunge let me know

Cheers

Kieran
Bathgate myself buddy so minutes away! I'd love to see how it goes, thanks for the offer once i get my bonus then i'll want to do it, if not and i love the car i'll end up spending money i don't yet have just cure the urge :)

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Hi and welcome to the OC.
there is a buyers guide in know your 2 (loads of other hints tips and guides).

Buy a good one and you will not spend a great deal every year if you keep on top of things.
Buy a shed and you will be paying out forever.

Good news is there more good ones than sheds.
Always wanted one since first saw one in 1990. Finaly got one in 2007 and never looked back.
Most has been said above.
Buy on condition of the shell, if the shell is good then it is more likely that the mechanical s have been looked after.
I would buy a great REV2 over a reasonable REV5 any day (yes I have a REV5 had it 7 years and kept is OK).

You haven't said if you are looking at NA or Turbo - they are different animals, I have a converted V6 which is another power train to think of.

You will not be disappointing whichever you by. Good hunting.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
dotty_84

Post by dotty_84 »

Turbo all the way as i know if i bought NA, i'd regret it shortly after wanting something a little more wild. A standard Turbo if possible, not after something done up to the hills.

romford.dan

Post by romford.dan »

*Resisting the urge to make you jealous with pics*

:P

Topic author
dotty_84

Post by dotty_84 »

romford.dan wrote:*Resisting the urge to make you jealous with pics*

:P
Fire away bud, i've been eyeing up any chance i can anyway!

romford.dan

Post by romford.dan »

Well, here is my NA t-bar which i sold in April! Miss this car a lot.

ImageIMG_2991 by danjama, on Flickr

Replaced with this tintop turbo, which is a bit of a project, to put it kindly! Will soon have a nice garage to store it in and get up to scratch :)

ImageTaken with a potato by danjama, on Flickr

Topic author
dotty_84

Post by dotty_84 »

NA looked gorgeous, rims go well with it. How much did you sell that for?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Scotland”