Jim Clark Stages, Duns - Saturday 20th May

A place to post Monthly meets, mini meets or any social events.

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
cptspaulding

Jim Clark Stages, Duns - Saturday 20th May

Post by cptspaulding »

Saturday 20th May - Visit to Jim Clark Room in Duns followed by lunch and a tour of some of the Jim Clark Rally stages.

Note this is an mr2roc inter-club event. All mr2oc members are very welcome - a few have been to my last event at Drumlanrig - we just need all attendees to fill in the rules/regs declaration at http://www.mr2roc.org/InterClub/register.php (takes about 1 minute - check your spam folder for the response).

10.30-11am - Meet at Kingsmeadow Car Park, Peebles for chinwag & general tyre kicking. Feel free to arrive earlier & grab a coffee in town, if you wish.

Petrol is available at the BP station & Esso Station, both in Peebles & have 97RON. Nearest Shell for V-Power 99RON is a a bit further on in Galashiels which isn't on our route, so please fill up prior if needed. Please think the trip through anyway & have enough fuel to get you through. We'll be covering about 120 miles over the day not including your own journeys to/from.

11am - Heading off to Duns via the route I will pm to all signees.

12am - Arrive Duns & have a gander at the Jim Clark room. His trophy cabinet is fairly impressive - he achieved quite a lot is his short life. We'll head off from here about 12.30-12.45pm. Note petrol is also available in Duns at the Gulf garage (unsure if they stock premium unleaded) or the Jet filling station (I think they sell paraffin)

12.45-1pm - Arrive at Duns Golf Club for lunch at 1.15pm - 2 courses for £12 (see later post for choices & also a couple of sample desert photos).

1.45pm - A wee bit desktop navigation fun - I'll give you a map & some clues as to the roads we'll be taking in the afternoon. You'll have limited time to work out the route. Closest to the correct answer will win a prize - don't know what that'll be yet, but likely related to the day's events.

2.00-2.15pm - Depends how long lunch takes but we'll head out about this time for the best part of the day. We'll be touring some of the roads used previously on the Jim Clark Rally Stages. Suffice to say, we shan't be approaching competitive speeds on the roads but it won't stop us from having a spirited & safe drive along some cracking driving roads! :th:

Finish will be about 3.30-3.45pm back in Duns.

If you have a walky-talky, please bring it with fresh battery as this will help us to keep the group together on the day. Should be fun :D - Look forward to seeing you all on the day :th:

Topic author
cptspaulding

Re: Jim Clark Stages, Duns - Saturday 20th May

Post by cptspaulding »

Lunch on the day:

We visited a few places to check lunch out (learned a wee lesson from last trip to Drumlanrig where they crammed us all in a tiny room) & Duns Golf Club came up trumps. Polly Campbell, who runs the catering there will do us two courses + coffee/tea afterfor £12 a head. Can I please ask you all to vote for what you'd like to see on the menu?

Polly will do us the most popular 3 mains and desserts from the list, the vegetarian option does not count as one of the 3. So not all will be available on the day - only those with most votes.

Mains
Hunters chicken, with mixed veg and chips
Steak and Ale pie with mixed veg and chips
Scampi, Salad garnish, Lemon wedge tartar sauce and chips
Ham, Egg, Cheese Salad with honey mustard dressing with a side portion of chips
Chicken and Chorizo pasta with Garlic Bread
Breaded Haddock, Chips and Peas, Lemon Wedge, Tartar Sauce.
Bean Burger with rainbow slaw and chips (V)

Puddings
Eve's Pudding and Custard
Treacle Tart and Ice Cream
Profiteroles with fresh berries and Chocolate sauce
Ice Cream Sundae
Stone Fruit Cobbler, with ice cream or custard

Polly also sent me a couple of pics of her profiteroles & ice cream sundae
Attachments
ice cream sundae.jpg
profiteroles.jpg
profiteroles.jpg (92.9 KiB) Viewed 862 times

Topic author
dick2ski

Post by dick2ski »

Hunters chicken, Treacle tart please.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

cptspaulding wrote: 02/05/17 17:55 Note this is an mr2roc inter-club event. All mr2oc members are very welcome
Even those who don't have a Mk3...? ;)
cptspaulding wrote: 02/05/17 17:55 a few have been to my last event at Drumlanrig
And very good it was too. :th:
It's all about making new friends. :D

Jim Clark trivia. He has the same number of F1 GP wins as Niki Lauda.
The big difference is the number of races it took to do so. Lauda 177 Clark 73.
Next year will be the 50th anniversary of his tragic death at Hockenheim.
In all that time no F1 driver has bettered his winning percentage.

And don't get me started on the farce surrounding the Jim Clark Rally.
The FAI will begin on 17th July. Over 3 YEARS to just get to that stage.
It's a f*****g disgrace and an insult to his memory imo.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
cptspaulding

Post by cptspaulding »

Thanks for that Tony.

I was speaking to a couple of competitors in that last fateful rally. The inquest is a farce.

Both agreed the fatalities were caused by media folks standing in the wrong place but they won't fess up.

(& no, don't have to have a mk3 :rolleyes: )

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Scotland”