17" wheels & Tyres IN an MR2 - Success!!

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: 17" wheels & Tyres IN an MR2

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TheJonse wrote:Might be worth removing the plastic liner in the frunk just to give you that bit of extra room if you need it?
I chucked that piece of crap away as soon as i got the car :laughing

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

MGMgrand

Post by MGMgrand »

Taken 4 std's with two in boot one frunk and one in passenger. Trainer laced the boot down as give a bit of flex but stays secure.

Never thought about removing the passenger but make sure they are secured well, to what I don't know, just as any sharp corners don't want a load of rubber heading your way :clapping:

Stay safe - Wheels versus Head - Wheels win by a knockout.

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Well,

Ran into one slight flaw with the plan today.

The 17" 8J did not fit in the frunk :crybaby:

As they had racing slicks on them, you could not deflate them enough as they are such a ridged tyre, and they had a huge profile on them and wouldn't even fit between the ABS system and the P/S unit :annoyed:

Now i was getting a little concerned :sad:

So after a good 40 minutes of rearranging 4 tyres where the passenger seat was, this was the result:

:laughing :D :laughing :D :laughing

The T-Bar saved the day!

This is how i did it for anyone that wants to transport some big 8J & 9J wheels with tyres on:

Put the two 9J tyres facing forwards in the footwell. Roll them both forwards until they are resting on the front ridge where the seat runner attaches. Then slide the 8J down behind them and push it down as far as it will go. At this point the 8J will prevent you from closing the door. Now let the remaining 8J tyre down as much as possible. Remove the T-Bar glass and try and stuff the 8J wheel in towards the windscreen through the T-Bar. The deflated tyre should just give you enough play in the tyre to squeeze it downwards through the T-Bar. Then slide it back and rest it on the rear screen. You will then have enough room to move the first 8J you put in upwards to give you enough clearance to shut the door. Wind down the passenger window and manouver the deflated 8J around so that you can get the T-Bar glass back in. Get a tow rope and run it through all the wheels making sure you go from the 9J nearest to the door straight up through the topmost 8J an around it a few times to the lower 8J. Run it through a couple of spokes to ensure the tow rope is taught when connected.

Jobs a good 'un

:clapping:

Note - you will NOT be able to accomplish this method if you do not have a T-Bar, but then again, if you have sensible tyres on them you should be able to get the last 8J in the frunk!!

(Afterthought - if you don't have a T-Bar, you might be able to get the last one in from the drivers side).

HM

PS- big thanks to George on IMOC for the sale - bloody nice chap and had a good long chat about his monster Race car - awesome machine!

h18ant

Re: 17" wheels & Tyres IN an MR2 - Success!!

Post by h18ant »

Fairplay to you mate, just picked mine up today, I went in the mondeo, much easier! :D
304.2 bhp and feelin good...............
whitworthmike wrote:I had a two minute fiddle with it after playing with hm for most of the evening.....

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

h18ant wrote:Fairplay to you mate, just picked mine up today, I went in the mondeo, much easier! :D
Unfortunately i only have two MR2's, so i had to make thim fit - with the tyre sidewalls so big the boot would only take one and only close at a 45 degree angle. Probably not so good for a 105 mile journey!

Got a few odd looks and a lady traffic cop giggled and pointed at me when i nervously pointed at the tow-rope securing method :blush:

:laughing

I can't believe how monstrous the wheels are though with these tyres on - awesome :clapping:

HM

h18ant

Post by h18ant »

I'd much rather have two 2's than one and a mondeo tank! What size tyres have you got on them mate?
304.2 bhp and feelin good...............
whitworthmike wrote:I had a two minute fiddle with it after playing with hm for most of the evening.....

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

h18ant wrote:I'd much rather have two 2's than one and a mondeo tank! What size tyres have you got on them mate?
Avon race slicks that have been cut - 235ish front and 255ish rear, although they dont measure slicks in the same way they do road tyres. The tyres are measured in contact tread / rolling diameter.

I know a few people who might be interested in the slicks, but going to be putting road tyres on them in the future.

HM

MR2Jay
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Fair play mate :th:

Always amusing when you have to move something not really supposed to go in a 2 ;)
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

MR2Jay wrote:Fair play mate :th:

Always amusing when you have to move something not really supposed to go in a 2 ;)
Haha cheers Jay, if i can get these badboys in my car with the seat out - anyone can transport 4 road legal MR2 wheels with the tyres on!!

(providing they aren't 10J all round!)

HM

Chicane

Post by Chicane »

Brilliant mate!

Cheers for taking the pic.........Tetris on the old Gameboy? :laughing

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”