Help please - Offsets and tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Help please - Offsets and tyres

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Hi people.

I'm useless with ET etc when it comes to wheels.

I've just bought the following wheels:

Blitz 01 2 piece forged :D

(just stood them next to the car)

The tyres on currently are race slicks that have been cut, and the chap i bought them off had wide arches on the fronts to accomodate them. They are 8J front ET 45 and 9J rear ET 45.

I've test fitted the fronts and the rims look flush with the arches which will probably pull them in a little once on the ground due to camber. Not tested the rears yet though as i didn't get round to it.

Does anyone have any ideas on spacers and or tyre widths?

I've heard far too many conflicting recommendations/posts. And i'm still not very clued up with this ET malarky :whistling:

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Heslop

Re: Help please - Offsets and tyres

Post by Heslop »

No idea I'm afraid about the answer to your question, but just wanted to say that the wheels look great next to the car - some of the best I've ever seen. :th:

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

a6905608 wrote:No idea I'm afraid about the answer to your question, but just wanted to say that the wheels look great next to the car - some of the best I've ever seen. :th:
Cheers - thats why i had to buy them straight away :D

Love 'em!

HM

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

Wheels look great Kiz i would recomend 225s on the front and 245/255 rear,offset for the front is normally 35 so you will need to space them out with the current ET you have

Chicane

Post by Chicane »

Wheels look great HM.

What do you need to know about offsets? Looking at your wheel spec the widths are great but the offset (ET) is a tad high. Id say spacers all round.

Id say to fit comfortably you will need to go for extended studs with a 10mm on front and rear. A bigger hubcentric spacer at the rear for more beef.

Dont know if you run coillies but ET45 at 8J upfront on standard struts can be hit or miss depending on the tyre. A 10mm bringing it to ET35 should be fine.

Funny you should mention this as im thinking of experimenting at ET25 on my rears next week! :shocked:

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

topgun wrote:Wheels look great Kiz i would recomend 225s on the front and 245/255 rear,offset for the front is normally 35 so you will need to space them out with the current ET you have
That's what's confusing me Mick - i tried the front and with 8J ET 45 the rims are flush with the wheel arches - going out is a no-no :confused1:

Thats what's got me baffled - everyone says they will look tucked in - but i assure you the fronts aren't!

Will probably go with 215's on the front.

Chicane - resident wheel slag :th:

I was told i'd need spacers, but the ruddy fronts were almost sticking out the arches - was thinking i'd need to roll those too!! Not sure on the backs yet as i haven't test fitted them, but those front's don't need moving any further out that for sure!

That's what's confusing :confused1:

HM

Chicane

Post by Chicane »

I run 8x18 ET32!!! upfront with 225/35 tyres. The lip is very close but I did not have to roll. Infact theres not much to roll tbh! So this rim is sticks out 13mm more than yours!

I suppose you can try it on the front once you get your tyre? If you get away with no spacing them thats one less thing to worry about. :cool1:

Even with a 255 tyre up the back you may feel the need to space.It will go straight on though.

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Cheers fella. Will need to get a test fit on the rims only as the racing slicks are so huge i doubt i'll ever get them on the back. Then i can get an idea on what spacers i may need.

When i stood the rears next to my Sparco's they were 5cm taller :blush:

Cheers for the pointers Chicane - could you let me know what suspension setup you are running for a comparison?

HM

Chicane

Post by Chicane »

I run yellow billies on Tein S-Techs. :) With coilovers you have the advantage of further tweaking though.Ill maybe invest in a set Teins later. :cool1: This is the only car ive had lately that ive not equipped with coillies. Just as well as I used to be forever adjusting heights, bound and rebound etc....like a bloody graphic equaliser. :laughing

Those rims will look great on your car. Thats the kinda rim I was originally looking for but sadly nothing really came up at the time.Tis a bit old skool JGTC :cool1:

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Chicane wrote:I run yellow billies on Tein S-Techs. :) With coilovers you have the advantage of further tweaking though.Ill maybe invest in a set Teins later. :cool1: This is the only car ive had lately that ive not equipped with coillies. Just as well as I used to be forever adjusting heights, bound and rebound etc....like a bloody graphic equaliser. :laughing

Those rims will look great on your car. Thats the kinda rim I was originally looking for but sadly nothing really came up at the time.Tis a bit old skool JGTC :cool1:
Cheers mate - some good pointers there.

I'm on KYB GRB adjustable struts and Eibach springs so not too low but low enough!

Don't like the UK/US/Euro type rims myself, and never thought of these as an option, but as soon as Matt pointed them out i knew i had to have them!!!

A lot of £'s worth of rare JDM rimmage in a 17" - and they are absolutely mint condition! :D

Over the moon with them - can't stop polishing 'em :laughing

HM

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

+1 to chicanes advice :th:

they look awesome against the car HM :)
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

they look rubbish Kiz...

I think a set of white Lenso RS5's would look better... I'll do you a straight swap if you like :rolleyes: :th:

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

chris wrote:I think a set of white Lenso RS5's would look better... I'll do you a straight swap if you like :rolleyes: :th:
I thought about that for 0.00000856 seconds.

Nope.

:D

HM

19Luke90

Post by 19Luke90 »

Chicane wrote:Wheels look great HM.

What do you need to know about offsets? Looking at your wheel spec the widths are great but the offset (ET) is a tad high. Id say spacers all round.

Id say to fit comfortably you will need to go for extended studs with a 10mm on front and rear. A bigger hubcentric spacer at the rear for more beef.

Dont know if you run coillies but ET45 at 8J upfront on standard struts can be hit or miss depending on the tyre. A 10mm bringing it to ET35 should be fine.

Funny you should mention this as im thinking of experimenting at ET25 on my rears next week! :shocked:
:th:

Sounds spot on.

Chicane what width are your rears? Ive got some pictures on my home pc from Fatlace / Hellaflush i think with an ET of 18 on the rear without looking silly :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”