Are 18's too Big?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
arther itis

Are 18's too Big?

Post by arther itis »

Hi guys.
After receiving some less than flattering remarks about my stock 14's, I am looking to replace them. I've had a look at the sticky regarding sizes etc of after market wheels, however, there are some that I'm thinking of buying that are the following sizes: Front 17's with 7" rims, Rears 18's with 7.5" rims. There is no mention of 18's in the sticky, so does this mean they are a no-goer?
BTW, these wheels have been on a mk2 before, just waiting for some answers from the seller about his suspension setup etc before going any further with this one.

Topic author
Olly

Re: Are 18's too Big?

Post by Olly »

18s look too big on a 2 in my opinion, unless you have a full bodykit to compliment them - i.e. Chicane's car.

People do run 18s but it's supposed to kill ride quality - but that's just what's I've read. 17s are the 'industry standard' :th:

Topic author
Chicane

Post by Chicane »

Cheers Olly.

I run 18s and I dont think they are too big. 19s would be too big on a standard arches car but not on a TRD widebody.
However you must get it right as a near standard car with 18s can look really bad.

There isnt much wheel data available on 18+ sizes

I run 225/35 fronts with a 255/35 rear.

However you can run 215/35 front and 225/40> rears if you have narrower rims.
Last edited by Chicane on 22/02/10 0:08, edited 1 time in total.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

18s aren't a disaster, but you'd be running a rather low profile tyre. On the front they'd tramline quite a bit (17s tramline anyway), but if they're only 18s at the back it probably won't be too bad. What tyre sizes were you gunna run?

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Very uncomfortable last I heard, compromises the handling I would guess as well.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
im_lovin_it

Post by im_lovin_it »

Dont forget, having 18's means they are heavier, this results in there being more unsprung weight and so will slow down acceleration, you wont be able to stop as fast and they will hamper handling, if its a show car your after then 18's are a must and 19's more so if your prepared to do the work to make them fit, however, if you're after a fast road/track 2 then i would limit yourself to a set of 17's as these look the nuts and provoke the perfect balance between looks and performance. Tis your choice mate, just good to know there is yet 1 more person looking after their mr2!

Topic author
Olly

Post by Olly »

im_lovin_it wrote:Dont forget, having 18's means they are heavier, this results in there being more unsprung weight and so will slow down acceleration, you wont be able to stop as fast and they will hamper handling
Not true at all. There are lots of lightweight 18s out there that are probably lighter than even the stock 15" wheels. I've got 17" wheels that are only 7kg each - lighter than loads of 16" wheels.
im_lovin_it wrote:If its a show car your after then 18's are a must and 19's more so.
Again not true at all. I agree 18s look better with a full bodykit in some cases, but I've seen plenty of great looking MR2s that house 17s. I doubt any MR2 looks nice with 19" alloys on it

Those are some very sweeping statements you're making :rolleyes:

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Mick's TRD1 on 17's

Rim's don't have to be massive to look good - just choose the right rims. :th:

I have coilovers and 16's and noticed the swap from stock 15's to 16's in terms of ride comfort. I think 17's are optimum size for an MR2 but that doesn't mean 18's look wrong. Both chicane's and JimGTS's cars look fantastic on 18's.

I personally have every size from 15 to 18 to fit on should i choose but for now will stick with the kermits.!!
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

17's can look just as big as 18'. It all about getting the right mixture of widths,offsets and tyre sizes.

When you see a set of 17s sunk in with low profile tyres on the two, the stock 15's even look better. Best bet is to take your time, ask for advice and get the right tyre set up.

for example here are my 17's and people keep asking me if they are 18 and 19 :laughing

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

And her's the TURD with 18s on

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

mine is slammed on 18s

going over a pot hole that im to late to avoid is like running over a landmine!!
feels like ive nackered the wheel! even tho i havent!

but other than that, im still happily running 18s even with 400bhp!
my wheels came with the car, so i didnt "choose" them in a sense, but they really suit the car. and am happy with them.
mega awsome BBS LM rims.

ive had 16s, 17s on my old rev2, and now 18s on the rev5. i think it depends on your offsets, width and tyre size choice....
even if i ran 15s i would run into problems with 360lb of torque, so ive no need to consider changing quite yet.
dont get me wrong, 15/16s would feel nicer as a daily ride, but i dont daily drive it, so dont bother me to much.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
Chicane

Post by Chicane »

Ahh Jim...my fellow pothole dodger. :laughing Tis a butt clenching experience when you think the strut has come through the tops. :laughing

Mines is not a daily driver. Once or twice a week if Im lucky.

Big wheels are needed for different reasons - visually, big brakes, extra width for grip etc.

TBH an MR2 on a nice set of 17s that nice and low is perfectly good anyway. :th:

And it depends on the profile. A 205/40/17 will be give a firmer ride than a 225/40/18 etc etc.

Topic author
GWrinkle

Post by GWrinkle »

I have a set of 18" Lenso S73s with staggered Falken 452s ( 235/40 and 215/35) which I have from my Rev 1 and are for sale. I'll be putting them up in the classifieds one of these days.
;)

Topic author
almeida1234

anyone help 18'' on mr2 mk2

Post by almeida1234 »

Hi just got my self some bk299 for mr 2 i am looking to purchase, the wheels are 18s and i am wondering if I have any truble with these? I am looking to buy uk spec maybe 97-00 reg If any owners running on 18 how good is the handling or should I not bother with18''?
many thanks :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”