Are 18's too Big?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: anyone help 18'' on mr2 mk2

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Mine is on 18's and its not too bad. What widths and offsets are your wheels ?

I'm using 8.5j et30 fronts and 9.5j et35 rears and I get a very tiny bit of rubbing on the plastic arch liner if I hit a pothole - although it is literally a tiny amount. If it helps, my car is also lowered 30mm

1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Topic author
almeida1234

Post by almeida1234 »

GazRev1Tubby wrote:Mine is on 18's and its not too bad. What widths and offsets are your wheels ?

I'm using 8.5j et30 fronts and 9.5j et35 rears and I get a very tiny bit of rubbing on the plastic arch liner if I hit a pothole - although it is literally a tiny amount. If it helps, my car is also lowered 30mm
sounds good I am not lowering it for the time being but the wheels are 215/35ZR/18 and the et 35 and they are width 7.5 same tyres all around

Topic author
mr2archy

Post by mr2archy »

i had 299s on my gallant, really nice wheel, although outer lip tarnishes with spider web oxydization very quickly once fitted.
from a personal stand point i wouldnt have 18" wheels on a 2, i found 17" detracted from the handling and ride let alone 18s . but as i said its a personal view point and probably outwayed by members who are content running that size.

Topic author
arther itis

Re: Are 18's too Big?

Post by arther itis »

Thanks for all the opinions guys. Having thought about it, I think I need to avoid low profiles (see user name for reason why!) I think I'll go with 16's for a smoother ride. My 2 will be used daily, so not looking to turn it into a show car, but I still want it to look good :) I've just seen the wheels I was looking at on ebay on our classifeds. They are not bad for the price!

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

16" Kermits FTW! :yahoo:

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

dgh938peg wrote:16" Kermits FTW! :yahoo:
Those aren't proper wheels - but these are......

17" Blitz :cool1:

Any excuse to show em off!! :cheeky:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Chicane

Post by Chicane »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
dgh938peg wrote:16" Kermits FTW! :yahoo:
Those aren't proper wheels - but these are......

17" Blitz :cool1:

Any excuse to show em off!! :cheeky:

HM
C`mon HM you not got these on yet??? :laughing

Topic author
arther itis

Post by arther itis »

Those 16" Kermits look good! :cool1: What size tyres have you got on them?

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

arther itis wrote:Those 16" Kermits look good! :cool1: What size tyres have you got on them?
They're Enkei's mate and love em to bits!

Tyres are a little tricky on 16s as they're not a favoured size with manufacturers nowadays.

Rears; 225 45 16 (8j wheel)
Fronts; 205 45 16 (7j wheel)

(from memory)

Highly recommend Falken ZE452 and ZE912's if that's the way you choose to go.

Topic author
Teamscorpio

Post by Teamscorpio »

to be honest mate if you want a proper good handling mr2 then most people would say 16" is the way to go! I had 17" which i found handled great on my turbo BUTT don't run 215/ allround on your 18" as it will become a dog when the roads are mildly damp. also the ride will become quite hard which i personally like but if you live in a town full of uneven roads you'll look like a "censored" bouncing down the road :laughing !!! im now running 18" on mine 9.5j front an 10.5j rear i rarely lose the back is pretty planted to the road. but i will be upgrading to coilovers soon as my fronts are rubbing on my suspension so im no longer using the car as im doing some cosmetic changes :zip

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

<sigh>

Please use the search function before creating a new topic :th:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/topic.htm ... 0#p1355610

Topic author
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

im_lovin_it wrote:Dont forget, having 18's means they are heavier, this results in there being more unsprung weight and so will slow down acceleration, you wont be able to stop as fast and they will hamper handling
+1

My Rev1 N/A came with 18 x 205/225 alloys which pound for pound were a hell of a lot heavier than the stock 14"ers especially when you take the weight of the tyres into account. All that unsprung weight overwhelmed the damping characteristics of the (worn) original shocks and the rebound characteristics of the knackered old springs meaning the wheels chattered over bumps intead of tracking over them. In short, it was a death trap especially in the wet. If you're going for that sort of set up you gotta think about upgrading your suspension.

Topic author
im_lovin_it

Post by im_lovin_it »

im_lovin_it wrote:If its a show car your after then 18's are a must and 19's more so.
Again not true at all. I agree 18s look better with a full bodykit in some cases, but I've seen plenty of great looking MR2s that house 17s. I doubt any MR2 looks nice with 19" alloys on it

Those are some very sweeping statements you're making :rolleyes:[/quote]

True, just my opinion, but as they say...each to their own! :)

Craig-rev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

It all depends on the design. Some 17" wheels look too big and others sit perfectly. 18's, unless a very suitable design or on a kitted car will look good. On a standard car they can look too big. 19's are a big no no IMO.

18's will be uncomfortable and they will tramline quite a bit. The RX8 has 18's as standard and that can tramline like a b*tch on some roads.
Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”