Tyre Valve Inserts

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
david.hanagan

Tyre Valve Inserts

Post by david.hanagan »

Hi

I am having some new tyres fitted on my Volks this Friday, but have noticed the valves are missing the inserts. Can anyone tell me if they are available for Halfords? And if not too cheeky, post up a link, as i have no idea what i am buying!

Cheers guys :th:

Snulty
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Re: Tyre Valve Inserts

Post by Snulty »

I'm sure the guys at the tire place would give you a couple for nothing... especially if your paying they for new tyres ;)
SPACESPACESPACE 92' Rev II Turbo

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Eh? Please tell me you're not reusing the existing bodies!! New tyres = new valves+inserts.
They cost peanuts and are have always been included in the price whenever I have had my tyres changed.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
david.hanagan

Post by david.hanagan »

TonyleFrog wrote:Eh? Please tell me you're not reusing the existing bodies!! New tyres = new valves+inserts.
They cost peanuts and are have always been included in the price whenever I have had my tyres changed.
The bodies are fine, nothing wrong with them? The inserts have only been removed to deflate the tyre, so whats the point of changing the whole lot when they just screw in? :confused1:

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. The weak point of screw in valves is the seal between the valve body and the rim. These can deteriorate the same as any other rubber product. Fine until an issue arises; then they can be a PITA. I had screw in flush valves on my white Rev 3. If I had kept the car it was the one thing I would have changed. As far as inserts are concerned - what snulty said.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:Ah, I wasn't aware of that. The weak point of screw in valves is the seal between the valve body and the rim. These can deteriorate the same as any other rubber product. Fine until an issue arises; then they can be a PITA. I had screw in flush valves on my white Rev 3. If I had kept the car it was the one thing I would have changed. As far as inserts are concerned - what snulty said.
I've had two slow punctures on the Sparco's recently and they were screw-in valves. Got both of them changed for £10 at my local tyre place. They used truck valves which are a little different but you'd never notice the difference unless i pointed it out.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
david.hanagan

Post by david.hanagan »

Sorry for my ignorance guys, but what do you mean about screw in valves? I assume you can get different types of valves then? The actual valves i have go through the wheel and then locks into place with a nut. Or am i just being stupid? :confused1:

With regards to the valve cores, the tyre fitting place said they have loads and wont charge me :)

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

david.hanagan wrote:Sorry for my ignorance guys, but what do you mean about screw in valves? I assume you can get different types of valves then? The actual valves i have go through the wheel and then locks into place with a nut. Or am i just being stupid? :confused1:

With regards to the valve cores, the tyre fitting place said they have loads and wont charge me :)
David, i think Tony and myself are referring to the JDM style valves that are 60-90 degree angles that secure into the inside of the rim with a rubber seal and a slim nut on the inside.

All the standard rims have their own plastic valves that are pretty much stock on most wheels.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
david.hanagan wrote:Sorry for my ignorance guys, but what do you mean about screw in valves? I assume you can get different types of valves then? The actual valves i have go through the wheel and then locks into place with a nut. Or am i just being stupid? :confused1:

David, i think Tony and myself are referring to the JDM style valves that are 60-90 degree angles that secure into the inside of the rim with a rubber seal and a slim nut on the inside.

All the standard rims have their own plastic valves that are pretty much stock on most wheels.
Not surprised you're confused David. I should have said bolt-in not screw. :blush:
All you need to know here - http://www.mistertee.co.uk/10.html
I had 1502s on my white Rev 3. HM is referring to 1545s/1566s.
Not sure what HM means by plastic valves.....

Personally I find the rubber snap-in type less hassle and they're far cheaper.
Also it's a lot less pain on the wallet when scrotes nick the valve caps!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”