Which tyres?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Which tyres?

Post by TonyleFrog »

Tinker2 wrote:Im like a ninja, I'm always here, you just don't see me
That's because she has been hibernating! ;)

Back on topic...
Option 3 was always going to be a no-brainer for them because they may not have any newer F1s (think about why they are selling at that price!) and it's way cheaper for them than a full refund plus the cost of collection.
madmr2man wrote:The way I see it is if I can get say 50% off the 2 tyres, I've only paid £81 [emoji1]
stuMR2eye wrote:Push them as hard as you can and if they get near 40-50% refund you're laughing.
madmr2man wrote:My thoughts exactly!

I think I'll push the tyres as hard as I can to, get maximum usage out of them [emoji1]
Pretty sure Stu was referring to the supplier not the tyres. :laughing

Getting 2 for the price of 1 is a tad ambitious imo but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

What is needed here is to step back and look at this objectively. The question to ask is what would be the outcome if a court was asked to rule on the correct value of Option 3? A quick check shows that Camskill have these in stock and the price is £213.48 shipped. I very much doubt that a judgement would see him getting more than the difference between that amount and what he paid. So £50 would be the most he could expect imo. With that figure in mind, see what offer materialises. If it is less (and I predict it will be) then go for the bullseye!

Btw don't forget my 10% commission for pointing out that 4 digit code. :)

They would be daft not to accept because he has a slam dunk case for Option 2 (goods not as described - i.e. older than 18 months). But, what is even better is that he has entered into a distance contract which gives him valuable extra firepower to persuade them to settle on his terms. He can, if he wishes, simply cancel the contract and there is nothing they can do about it.

Bedtime reading for tonight - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013 ... tents/made
Part 3 (Sections 29 to 35) is the relevant bit. If he does decide to go down that road he should read them carefully as 6 days have already passed. The upcoming Bank Holiday and weekend will curtail the available time remaining.

A couple of tips for anyone who might be contemplating using this legislation.
1)If you do it by e-mail, print out screen dumps of your sent folder and the message. 2) In case they deny having received it confirm by letter with a copy of the e-mail, send it first class, and get a free proof of posting slip from the Post Office. In the context of the time limit in the above Regulations bear in mind that 2 business (not calendar) days should be factored in for it to arrive in the ordinary course of post.

HTH

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by stuMR2lee »

I was Tony but either way works:).

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Ha ha Tony, it was intentional, I guess it's difficult to indicate the intention over the internets [emoji1]

No emails today so still waiting

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Keep pressing them for an answer after the Bank Holiday tomorrow. Don't let them stall you: the clock is ticking if you do want to cancel. If push comes to shove you could use that as a lever to force a response. Hopefully it won't be necessary but much will depend on their offer and whether it is acceptable to you.

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

So oponeo have been in contact with me today and have offered a refund of a whopping £8 [emoji34]

So I have replied saying that is unacceptable, and to improve their offer or arrange to have the tyres collected and me refunded in full.

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Too right. That's an insult. Much better to have a years extra tyre life (as you don't do many miles) than a paltry £8. Having a giraffe:(.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

madmr2man wrote:So oponeo have been in contact with me today and have offered a refund of a whopping £8 [emoji34]
That is extracting the yellow fluid. :shocked:

Any way to take it higher up the food chain with them?

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
mr2madben

Post by mr2madben »

I have federal 959rsr all round on my 2 absolute awesome tire and dirt cheap for what they are. Can't fault em.

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

madmr2man wrote:So oponeo have been in contact with me today and have offered a refund of a whopping £8 [emoji34]
Looks like you've been given a Harvey Smith. :blink:

Maybe VC bought some tyres from them and paid with his famous 'special' notes! ;)
madmr2man wrote:So I have replied saying that is unacceptable, and to improve their offer or arrange to have the tyres collected and me refunded in full.
Bearing in mind that your reply still leaves the door open, you don't have much of the time window left to give unequivocal notice of cancellation per the legislation I mentioned earlier.
The 2013 Regulations wrote:the cancellation period ends at the end of 14 days after the day on which the goods come into the physical possession of—

(a)the consumer
So, delivery on 24th December means the notice must be received by them no later than close of business on Wednesday next week. Best make it Tuesday to be safe. Make sure they don't start stalling you now in order to run the clock down and prevent you exercising your statutory rights. I hate companies that treat customers with such contempt. They deserve a proper shafting.

Tyres that are already two and a half years old are more than a third of the way through their recommended life (see Tom's post). Synthetic rubber items which sit on a shelf unused still deteriorate. Tyres are no exception. This degradation can be seen when a car is laid up for a long time. All the exposed seals perish.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Thanks Tony, I thought I would give them the option first before explicitly stating my wishes of cancellation.

Monday is the deadline in my eyes, no response or crap counter offer by end of Monday means cancellation.

Stripey
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Stripey »

TonyleFrog wrote: This degradation can be seen when a car is laid up for a long time. All the exposed seals perish.
Unfortunately mine are evidence of that. Put new tyres on, had a crash the next day and the car was off the road for a couple of years. They've done very few miles yet the rubber has degraded, and now that it is on the road they've worn much quicker.

Obviously tyres out of a warehouse will not be exposed to the elements like mine were, but if tyres only have a life of 6 years and they've already lost nearly half of their life before going on I would expect more than an £8 refund. Especially if they have missold.

I think the fact that you said you didn't really want to return the tyres because you need them, they are hoping you will just take any form of refund to save having to find more.

I would ask for a refund if the best they can do is £8.

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Stripey wrote:
TonyleFrog wrote: This degradation can be seen when a car is laid up for a long time. All the exposed seals perish.
Unfortunately mine are evidence of that. Put new tyres on, had a crash the next day and the car was off the road for a couple of years. They've done very few miles yet the rubber has degraded, and now that it is on the road they've worn much quicker.
Sidewall cracking, aka 'dry rot' in the trade.
Stripey wrote:Obviously tyres out of a warehouse will not be exposed to the elements like mine were, but if tyres only have a life of 6 years and they've already lost nearly half of their life before going on I would expect more than an £8 refund. Especially if they have missold.
True, but much depends on how they have been stored while in there. If they have been stacked vertically (there is a temptation to do this because you can pack in more for the same floor area) for 30 months it will be detrimental because they are not mounted on a wheel. Also large warehouses can suffer from extreme variations in temperature between summer and winter. All of which is not good for the rubber compound.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres-advic ... tore-tyres
Stripey wrote:I think the fact that you said you didn't really want to return the tyres because you need them, they are hoping you will just take any form of refund to save having to find more.
They are what is known in certain parts as 'aving a giraffe'! :rolleyes:
Stripey wrote:I would ask for a refund if the best they can do is £8.
If it were me I wouldn't hesitate to return them rather than get a further price reduction. No way would I fit 'new' tyres that old. While all of us want value for money, tyres are far too important to one's safety take unnecessary risks with. Buy cheap, pay twice...

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Well what a colossal faff this entire experience has been with Oponeo [emoji30]

I rang them on Monday for the first time following email correspondence with advisors 1 and 2, only to speak to a 3rd as both of the other 2 were unavailable.

He was fairly helpful and promised to ring back later having spoken to his manager to discuss the disgraceful offer of a 5% refund, and potentially offer something better.

I waited until 5pm that day and rang them, only to get through to advisor no.1!
He told me that advisor 3 was in talking it over with the manager.
I let him know my concern regarding the 14 day distance contract cancellation period, which expires today, and he advised me to reply to the email chain expressing my wishes of cancellation pending the managers revised offer.

The revised offer, which I was also told would be over 10%, would be offered today via email as the manager was out of the office yesterday.

So I sent the cancellation notification via email Monday evening and took screen shots of it etc..,thanks for the advice TLF [emoji106]

So today I received an email from advisor no 4, replying to a much earlier email I had sent, advising me of their policy regarding tyre ages. She stated they only supply tyres with a maximum age of 24 months, which is contradictory to the 18 months stated clearly on their website.

Enraged, I rang up this evening, only to speak to advisor number 5, who told me none of the other advisors were available. I asked her to digest the email chain whole I waited as I refused to reiterate everything again [emoji34]

She asked me what sort of offer i was expecting, and I said 50% because the tyres are twice as old as the maximum age advertised, and at 3 years old, we're already halfway through the recommended maximum tyre lifespan of 6 years.
I was informed that was unlikely to be agreed and the other option was cancellation, with transport costs to be picked up by them.

She also told me that advisor 4 had been dealing with my case all along?!?!? Terrible customer service [emoji53]

So I chose to cancel, poor show if you ask me, not impressed at all.
I'm in two minds whether to take it further really?
The implications here extend a long way, but I'm not sure if can be bothered with the hassle [emoji30]

DPD are collecting them Friday, with a full refund to be issued to me as soon as they receive notification. I'll be getting proof of collection and ringing them myself I think.

So, there you have it, don't buy your tyres from Oponeo. [emoji21]

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Shocking customer service. Their cheap headline prices aren't worth this hassle. Vote with your feet and walk away is the message from this sorry saga. What a waste of your time.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”