Alloy change - need help!

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sammie86

Alloy change - need help!

Post by Sammie86 »

Hi guys,

I've got a 1990 imported MR2 T-bar 2.0 non turbo. It's got the standard alloys at the moment but I've got the chance to have some 18" Calibers. Before I take them I just wanted to know if it would be a straight away or would I need spacers etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sammie

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Alloy change - need help!

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

First off, we need to know the widths and offsets.
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Get a set of stock 15's. The stock 14" are just not good, even worse on a turbo as you simply cannot get good rubber for them and the 205 rear was a big mistake.

The Stock 15's bolt straight on using the same wheel nuts, perfect fitment and with 205/50R15 front and 225/50R15 rears more than enough rubber.

Unfortunately no one made the perfect set of 17" or 18" rims for these cars and you have to stuff about with spacers and rings to get them to fit. The staggered front/rear is also a major problem and you wind up with the wrong rolling radius as well as the 15" is a smaller tyre circumference than what is available in 17" or 18".

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

No good available tyres in 14" or 15". 16" has limited tyres available.
17s are best option for weight and tyre sizes and good brands. Perfect staggered 17s are available.
Plenty of 16" sets out there perfect for the mr2 also
18s aren't the best for the mr2 as far as handling or appropriate tyres sizing, but they can fit straight on if widths and offset are ok
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Wow you may be right, looks like Toyo have dropped its range of 15" tyres like the T1R, so its not looking good so you have to move to 17" rims or run Toyo race rubber like I do.

Looks like plenty of great front size like 205/50R15 still in manufacture (but probably hard to get) but no rears to match.

Should be no problems getting the R888's as racing is a different category, lots of older classic cars like the MR2 and Porsche and even open wheelers using these still.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

16” or 17” is the way to go. Hardly any good tyres for the MR2 14" or 15” now.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Howlin_Mad wrote:16” or 17” is the way to go. Hardly any good tyres for the MR2 14" or 15” now.

HM
Still some stunning 15" made for the fronts but no rears to match.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... iameter=15

Can still get Toyo T1R or the T1S over here no problem, front and rear.

Just found my next tyres for the Legacy the new Bridgestone RE-71R in 215/45R18. The MR2 came out of the factory in 1990 with the RE-71 and this updated version with the vastly improved rubber compounds available these days looks awesome.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

MR2DI4 wrote:Unfortunately no one made the perfect set of 17" or 18" rims for these cars and you have to stuff about with spacers and rings to get them to fit. The staggered front/rear is also a major problem and you wind up with the wrong rolling radius as well as the 15" is a smaller tyre circumference than what is available in 17" or 18".
Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Lenso D1R Samurai - 8J front/9J rear. No spacers required.

Until they were discontinued last year (due to falling demand for the right PCD and offsets for a MR2 making importation no longer financially viable) they were available off the shelf from various suppliers. I was an early adopter in 2009 and got mine direct from the importer. Quite a few people on here subsequently followed my example. I also bagged the last set they had in stock in 2014.

Spigot rings are required with the majority of aftermarket wheels, irrespective of diameter, in order to centre the bore to the hub flange.

The rolling radius comment is flawed too. With 215/40/17 on the front and 245/35/17 on the rear, the difference is minuscule. If you doubt it, plug the data into this calculator and see.
http://www.willtheyfit.com/

A brand new tyre has ~8mm of tread. When worn down to 2mm the difference in diameter is 12mm which is greater than that between the 15" & 17" wheel/tyre specs. This will have a knock-on effect on the circumference as well.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

What he said ^^^ haha

I run lensos as well (cheers Tony!) And there are NO fitment issues at all. Perfect stagger and offset with no rubbing.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”