Tyre stretch safe for track use?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

parker455

Re: Tyre stretch safe for track use?

Post by parker455 »

I've some dope on faceache that is stupid enough to try and fit 165's on a wide rim for his 'stanced' look. Rubbish. Stupid VW polo too, typical!

Show 'n' Shine winner - Aug '13
Rev2 Turbo - '93

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Along with chopped springs and notched chassis, utter stupidity.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

parker455

Post by parker455 »

Makes my blood boil!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Show 'n' Shine winner - Aug '13
Rev2 Turbo - '93

Topic author
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyr ... dvice.html < this link is useful, thanks

it suggests 215 is the minimum to run on 8j so I guess I'll stick my tyres on there (fronts) and grab some 235 for the 9j rears.

I spoke to the chap I bought the wheels from (cardhore) and he put them on 'stretched' as he thought i was running a lowered setup, and the stretch would prevent scrubbing.

I am not lowered, but I do have some Apex -30mm springs I just got so I well do in the future. I'm hoping I'll be able to run the correct tyres AND lower the car, and not have scrubbing, but we'll see. I'm pretty sure plenty of people here have a similar setup with 17" wheels and lowered?

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Tyre stretch safe for track use?

Post by sinjen »

TonyleFrog wrote:
sinjen wrote:I ran 205's on 8J enkei for both silverstone runs, absolutely fine. 245/35 on 9J at the back. Needless to say 215 on 8J is also perfectly fine and for me the sweet spot.
205 on 8J is below the recommended minimum
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyr ... dvice.html
ETRTO wrote: For recommended and permitted tyre/rim combinations, consult the current E.T.R.T.O. Standards Manual.

What you do on the track is up to you but be careful of doing this on the road. If you have a prang which involves loss of control you might just find yourself on the receiving end of some awkward questions from a PCI.

It also gives your insurer a handy way to avoid an own damage claim (you have declared the use of a non-recommended tyre/wheel combination, haven't you?).

There is also the possibility of a potential prosecution.
- C&U Regs 1986 Section 27(a).
- Road Traffic Act 1988 section 40A

Section 40A offence = £100 FPN + 3 points. To overturn the FPN you would have to go to court. Fitting tyres which are outside the wheel/tyre manufacturers's recommendations could be sufficient evidence to tip the scales against you.

I don't know anyone who has been done for this but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
That's an interesting link Tony, got 215's on now which I do prefer.

That said, doesn't the actual "tyre width" vary between manufacturers by 5-10mm anyway. My understanding is that some stretch is good as it means the tyre is worked harder (touring cars etc as an example). Obviously too much stretch for fast use is silly though.

Btw did you even notice my "overtly" stretched tyres at Silverstone? I doubt it because they didn't look stretched ;)

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Wabbitkilla wrote:Along with chopped springs and notched chassis, utter stupidity.
Like these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ShYYUQwY0
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... olf584.jpg
http://eurostance.co.uk/crazy-wide-stat ... -steelies/
and the icing on the cake...
http://passionford.com/forum/general-ca ... abbit.html
wenguin wrote:http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyr ... dvice.html < this link is useful, thanks
You're welcome. :)
wenguin wrote:I spoke to the chap I bought the wheels from (cardhore) and he put them on 'stretched' as he thought i was running a lowered setup, and the stretch would prevent scrubbing.
As soon as you mentioned Circlars I knew where you got them from. ;)
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=184295
James is the man to know if you want staggered wheels.
I got the ones on my Rev 4 in the Silverstone pic from him.
It helps that he's local to me.
wenguin wrote:I'm hoping I'll be able to run the correct tyres AND lower the car, and not have scrubbing, but we'll see. I'm pretty sure plenty of people here have a similar setup with 17" wheels and lowered?
See my post on the previous page.
sinjen wrote:Btw did you even notice my "overtly" stretched tyres at Silverstone? I doubt it because they didn't look stretched ;)
No, because it wasn't relevant in that situation. The whole point I was making is about their use on the road and the potential for repercussions should things either go pear shaped or you get stopped by a police officer on a crusade.

Watch it if you go to Norfolk. The cops there have a bee in their bonnet about non standard modifications. In particular loud exhausts.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

sinjen

Post by sinjen »

I disagree Tony :P

OP I run 245/35's on the back and 215's on the front, with a 30mm drop. The back rubbed over big bumps at speed before the arches were rolled, the fronts don't come close :)

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

sinjen wrote:I disagree Tony :P
With what, specifically? Insufficient data. Seems to be your forté btw. ;)
sinjen wrote:OP I run 245/35's on the back and 215's on the front, with a 30mm drop. The back rubbed over big bumps at speed before the arches were rolled, the fronts don't come close :)
So? Without knowing more about your setup, it's speculation why that was happening.

- Shocks? (coilovers/yellow Billies/black Billies/stock n/a)
- Spring rates?
- Age/condition of both the above? (ranging from brand new to knackered!)
- Wheel offset?

I have never* had any rubbing issues with either of my current turbos.

* EFA - I did once on the front of T2 but that was due to a fractured spring which doesn't count!

Craig-rev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

Good to see my Silverstone video is still being used! On a previous car I had 215 & 245 and it was the ideal set up.

17x9 et42 on the rear plus 15mm spacer, effectively et27 and no rubbing, arches weren't rolled either. The car was on black bilstein's with 30mm Spax springs.

17x9 et38 with 245/40 shouldn't be an issue.
Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

sinjen

Post by sinjen »

TonyleFrog wrote:
sinjen wrote:I disagree Tony :P
With what, specifically? Insufficient data. Seems to be your forté btw. ;)
sinjen wrote:OP I run 245/35's on the back and 215's on the front, with a 30mm drop. The back rubbed over big bumps at speed before the arches were rolled, the fronts don't come close :)
So? Without knowing more about your setup, it's speculation why that was happening.

- Shocks? (coilovers/yellow Billies/black Billies/stock n/a)
- Spring rates?
- Age/condition of both the above? (ranging from brand new to knackered!)
- Wheel offset?

I have never* had any rubbing issues with either of my current turbos.

* EFA - I did once on the front of T2 but that was due to a fractured spring which doesn't count!
YHPM Tony!

The 2nd point is a good one and an oversight on my part, busy job with no access to wifi or a keyboard 24/7, you get the picture.

17", 9j and 8j, 245/35 rear, 215/(35 I think), Yellow billies, Apex Springs, offset such that the wheels are in line with the arches (35-38 or thereabouts). Had them from brand new and as stated they rubbed until I had the arches rolled.

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

Similar set up to me bar mine has 8.5" rears.
Mine don't rub although my fronts just catch the arch liner mounts if I push hard. My wheels are et35

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

sinjen wrote:YHPM Tony!
Replied!
sinjen wrote:The 2nd point is a good one and an oversight on my part, busy job with no access to wifi or a keyboard 24/7, you get the picture.

17", 9j and 8j, 245/35 rear, 215/(35 I think), Yellow billies, Apex Springs, offset such that the wheels are in line with the arches (35-38 or thereabouts). Had them from brand new and as stated they rubbed until I had the arches rolled.
:zip until you have seen my PM. :)

BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I have to laugh when I see these "stanced" cars looking like they have some sort of vehicular polio and pass you like a dog with worms.

I don't believe for a second that any set up like that is anywhere near safe, and I'm sure your average traffic cop would just love to tug you and have a gander round such an awesomely cool set up.
Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

sinjen wrote:I disagree Tony [emoji14]

OP I run 245/35's on the back and 215's on the front, with a 30mm drop. The back rubbed over big bumps at speed before the arches were rolled, the fronts don't come close :)

baileydom wrote:I have 215/245 on 8j ET33 and 9j ET43 rims. Whether they scrub or not depends on the offset of the alloys. I have no scrubbing at all. Win! :)
As I said on the first page I run the above wheel/tyre combo (215/40 and 245/40 on 17x8j fronts and 17x9j rears) and have no scrubbing/rubbing at all. That's on new rev1 tubby struts and apex springs dropped 30mm.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”