Alloy wheel replacement

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Alloy wheel replacement

Post by notroubleclubber »

I tried my 205 40 17 front alloys on yesterday to make sure they would fit ok as i wasnt sure if my car is lowered or not.
They fit ok but I have a few questions:

1. On the top of my shock absorber where the spring is was quite a few bits of round plastic/rubber. it looked worn and wasnt sure what it was and if i need to replace. I only checked one side so not sure if its normal.Heres the best pic i could take:

2. The original wheel bolts stick out too much and the front cover wont fit on. Does anyone know the best bolts to get so i can fit the covers back on.

3. I didnt try the rears but im not sure if the fronts sit flush enough. Heres the best pic i can get:

Please ignore the state of the alloys. I have been quoted £100 for complete sandblast and powder coat in whatever colour i like.

4. Im also getting new tyres for the lot so what would you recommend as best sizes.

I think they would look good all in black. What do you think?

trevsmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Alloy wheel replacement

Post by trevsmr2 »

The mangled rubber in the picture is a strut cover ,should cover the shiny section of the strut
well known to rot away ,best cut it all off because it could foul up the strut when turning

The standard alloy wheel nuts are a different design ,they have a collar on them and are not designed to fit aftermarket wheels,you need some nuts for the wheels tuner nuts i think are the choice

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

trevsmr2 wrote:The standard alloy wheel nuts are a different design ,they have a collar on them and are not designed to fit aftermarket wheels,you need some nuts for the wheels tuner nuts i think are the choice
^^This^^

The stock ones have a washer and are designed to fit a flat seat not the conical one on the vast majority of aftermarket wheels - http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/59/41923.html.

Using the stock ones is dangerous because they will not seat properly and the wheel could come loose. Furthermore the stock washers will create point loading where they contact the wheel seats. The upshot is likely to be seat damage and in extreme cases the stresses could cause the wheel centre to fail.

Get the right nuts NOW!

It's also a good idea to carry one set of stock nuts in the glove compartment in case you need to fit the space saver spare wheel.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

couple of questions
1) what size are your wheels
17" - yea got that
width??
ET?? - offset

2) are the wheels staggered - wider rears?

Reason for asking is if 7J the max recommended rears are 225, if 7.5 then you can have recommended 235.

If they are all the same width (none staggered) then you will need a 10mm spacer on the rear to get the wheels sort of in line.

215/40/17 front and 235/40/17 rear is a good set up as it gets 20mm staggered tyres front to rear.
If you have staggered wheels 7J and 8J (minimum) you can go 245/40/17 rear and get the better 30mm staggered set up.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

I couldnt find any markings on the wheels apart from "38" on all of them and "via" which i am guessing is a make or a jdm marking?

The rears currently have 235 40 17s on them which the tread is fine but the side walls have a couple of chunks taken off them so will replace these.
The fronts are 205 40 17 and both these need replacing which is a shame as the tread is fine too but sidewalls are very perished.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

notroubleclubber wrote:I couldnt find any markings on the wheels apart from "38" on all of them and "via" which i am guessing is a make or a jdm marking?
38 is likely to be the offset. VIA explanation here
https://www.jwtc.jp/open/html/e/situmon1.html
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”