Wheel fitment....

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
James94

Wheel fitment....

Post by James94 »

hey guys,

I have just bought some enkei tarmac wrc evo wheels for my 1991 turbo.

I have had mixed views from various people with regards to fitment....

There 17x7 et45 tyres 215/40/17 , will these fit the front or will they rub on suspension components??

If so what size spacers would i need??

regards

James

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Wheel fitment....

Post by peteV6R5 »

MR2 (mkii) Flushness:
Your proposed front wheel will be 22.35 mm tucked in from flush (flush offset: 22.65).
Your proposed rear wheel will be 35.05 mm tucked in from flush (flush offset: 9.95).

Wheel Comparison:
Your proposed front wheel will stick out 12.7 mm farther than your old wheel.
Your proposed rear wheel will be even with the previous rear wheel.

http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php

Got that out of the above calculator
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

Thanks very much for that !

I am not the brightest cookie in the bookand that first one has confused me a little, does that meand it will be just over 2.2cms further in the arch than a standard wheel??

does that also mean it will fit?

sorry for probably asking the obvious haha !!

much appreciated

James

peteV6R5

Post by peteV6R5 »

James94 wrote:Thanks very much for that !

I am not the brightest cookie in the bookand that first one has confused me a little, does that meand it will be just over 2.2cms further in the arch than a standard wheel??

does that also mean it will fit?

sorry for probably asking the obvious haha !!

much appreciated

James
inside the arch but will be 12.7mm out further that standard wheels :)

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

ok thanks for the clarification dude :D

do you think there will be any scraping and will i need spacers?

peteV6R5

Post by peteV6R5 »

James94 wrote:ok thanks for the clarification dude :D

no spacers as they will be 12mm further away from struts

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

Your proposed front wheel will be 22.35 mm tucked in from flush (flush offset: 22.65).

does that ^^^^^ mean that the wheel will be 22.35 mm more tucked in the arch than standard??

Aslong as it does not rub or catch anything I am happy as the wheel were not cheap and I love them!!

thanks for your help buddy!! if anyone else has any input feel free to comment :)

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

peteV6R5 wrote:
James94 wrote:ok thanks for the clarification dude :D

no spacers as they will be 12mm further away from struts
Not true... they will also be 12.7mm closer to the strut than the stock 6J ET45 wheels, because the new wheels at 7J and hence 25.4mm wider ;)

I used the wheel calculator and adjusted the front offset to ET50 (ie. an extra 5mm tucked in) and it said "Your proposed front is 3.35 mm from possibly touching the front suspension.". This means that the ET45 is about 1.65mm away from the strut... close but probably OK. (The front hubs have a little play in their fitment, so that might make a difference here).

It's also worth saying this only applies to standard struts (with or without lowering springs). If you have coilovers then you are pretty much guaranteed not to be able to fit those wheels.

Finally, because the car is built for staggered wheels (1 inch wider wheels at the back that the front), if you use the same width and offset all round the rear track will be narrower than the front. You'll actually be able to see this difference when looking down the side of the car. I would recommend 15mm spacers at the back to compensate. In fact I've run that exact setup (albeit with a 205 tyre on the front to give at least a little stagger). :th:

shinny

Post by shinny »

James94 wrote:Your proposed front wheel will be 22.35 mm tucked in from flush (flush offset: 22.65).

does that ^^^^^ mean that the wheel will be 22.35 mm more tucked in the arch than standard??
No. What it means is if you took a bit of wood and pushed it up against the wheel arch, there would be a 22.35mm gap between the surface of the wood and the face of the wheel. If the wheel were flush, there would be absolutely no gap what so ever... ie, the wheel would be flush with the arch. Get it?

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

thanks for the reply,

the car is lowered on tein lowering springs but i am not sure how much by? would you think they would still be clear or woudl rub , also is it the tyre that will rub or the rim as like you have said i could always put 205 tyres on the front ?

the problem i have with spacers is that the wheel have a centre bore of 67.1 were as the mr2 is 60.1 so ther for i cant use spacers can i as i need spiget rings to make them fit the car ?

your help would be much appreciated shinny !!

shinny

Post by shinny »

James94 wrote:the car is lowered on tein lowering springs
So long as they're lowering springs and not coilovers then you'll probably be fine (if you do have problems, a small 1-3mm spacer should short it out). When it comes to hitting suspension, the amount of drop on springs is irrelevant.
James94 wrote:also is it the tyre that will rub or the rim
Given your tyres properly fit the rims (rather than bulging), it's probably the rim that would hit the strut first.
James94 wrote:the problem i have with spacers is that the wheel have a centre bore of 67.1 were as the mr2 is 60.1 so ther for i cant use spacers can i as i need spiget rings to make them fit the car ?
That's no reason why not to use spacers and spigots at the same time. They're doing different jobs. I wouldn't combine multiple spacers or multiple spigots together though.

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

thanks so so so much for your help!!!

i have found some 5mm spacers that i could throw on the front just to give it that little bit more clearenceand that would work with the spigot? they would be ok to use with the standard wheel studs i am lead to believe?

ooooo thats good i wasnt aware of that , so if i get some hubcentric 15mm rear spacers with a centre bore of 60.1 and then put a 67.1 spiget on the lip of the spacer that would be all fine?

sorry for asking so many questions i just want to double check :)

shinny

Post by shinny »

James94 wrote:ooooo thats good i wasnt aware of that , so if i get some hubcentric 15mm rear spacers with a centre bore of 60.1 and then put a 67.1 spiget on the lip of the spacer that would be all fine?
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing :th:
James94 wrote:i have found some 5mm spacers that i could throw on the front just to give it that little bit more clearenceand that would work with the spigot? they would be ok to use with the standard wheel studs i am lead to believe?
Hmmm - this might prove trickier, actually.

Firstly, I bought some 5mm universal spacers once but they pretty much left no centre bore for the wheel to sit on, so I would not use something that large. That's why I said 3mm max.

Secondly, a spigot and a small universal spacer should work in theory. If you think about it. that spacer must go over the 67mm bore of other cars, so should fit over the spigot. HOWEVER, the wheel, centre bore and spigot should all have a flange on them to help seat everything and keep the spigot in place. This holds true for hubcentric spacers because they present a surface just like the hub that holds the spigot right up to the wheel. However with a universal (non-hubcentric) spacer, there is nothing to stop the spigot sliding around in the gap between the hub and the wheel. This does not sound like a good thing to me!

Still, you should have space without the need for spacers, but the margins are so close you actually need to try it...

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

nice were would you suggest getting those spacers from ? :) sounds like a bloody good idea!

hopefully they should fit without spacer but i shall see aye, if i even got 3mm spacers would the spigot not still sit on the lip of the hub as 3mm is such a small amount and the hub lip will be more than 3mm?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”