15mm Hubcentric wheel spacer fitment

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: 15mm Hubcentric wheel spacer fitment

Post by chris »

MR2Jay wrote:If you had 1 1/2 turns on a 10mm spacer and stock Studs then my spacers at 15mm (5mm thicker) but 11mm longer Studs, that should, in theory, give me the 1 1/2 turns I've got plus an additional 6mm of thread :th:
So, 1.5 turns give a bolt engagement length (B.E.L.) of 2.25mm on a 1.5mm pitch thread (MR2 stud is M12 x 1.5)... your extra 6mm of thread will add another 4 turns, thus giving you 5.5 turns in total on the stud... is that enough? I'm not sure? ...after all, that's only a B.E.L. of 8.25mm

How many turns are you getting on the Sparco's?

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Awesome.... Well I'll have a look at how much thread I have with the spacer but in theory...

(I might be wrong - correct me if I am)

1.5 thread pitch equals 1.5mm per turn....

6mm equals 4 turns plus 1.5 turns....

In theory it should give 5 1/2 turns

(unless I've completely misunderstood how thread pitch works)

**edit - Chris, you know I'm not sure on these new Studs. I'll find out tonight :th:**
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

am i going mad, but surely the long studs will go through the "holes" you see on the pic, then the wheel over that.

to me, youll have 15mm of dead stud space, that will surely put pressure on them? pressure i wouldnt want.
also, not to mention, that stud wont be sitting tight in the spacer will it? theyll be 5mm of space around them, again not helping structurally.

i would use the spacer how its designed.

yes on a 5mm spacer the above is probably fine, 15mm though.....

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Not strictly true Jim....

The extended Studs will go through the holes as intended and the spacer will be bolted into place using the tapered nuts provided. This will reduce the "dead space" on the stud to about 5mm maximum. This will effectively move the fixed hub face out 15mm. The wheel is then bolted on to the remaining protruding stud, sandwiching the spacer between the disc and the wheel.

Technically, it's no different to the Sparco's on there at the moment with the dead space between the nut and the disc just with an additional fixing in the void

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

so each stud is going to have 2 nuts on??
one bolting the spacer on, and a bolt holding the wheel to the spacer?

i wouldnt have thought there is room for that?
Last edited by jimGTS on 06/08/15 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

That's the theory, yes. The tapered holding the spacer to the hub (and locking any circular motion) and the wheel nut holding the wheel against the spacer

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i edited my post, but there surely cant be room for that?

the nut would have to be extremely shallow and flush with the spacer?

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

MR2Jay wrote:That's the theory, yes. The tapered holding the spacer to the hub (and locking any circular motion) and the wheel nut holding the wheel against the spacer
Urgh, no! Don't do that...

Ignore the holes with the taper and put the hub's extended studs through the holes you knocked the studs out of. Then you've got a flat surface to mate the wheel up to, not something that is mainly a hole

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Which it is. The nuts provided with the spacer are specifically designed to sit within the depth of the spacer leaving the front face flush. This is how they are secured if I were to use the secondary Studs under normal use.

As far as I can tell, the secondary Studs are used as there wouldn't be enough thread on a standard stud to safely attach the wheel. My application is slightly different as I've got extended Studs already in place for the Sparco's

shinny

Post by shinny »

MR2Jay wrote:Actually Shinny, that's quite useful in itself :th:

If you had 1 1/2 turns on a 10mm spacer and stock Studs then my spacers at 15mm (5mm thicker) but 11mm longer Studs, that should, in theory, give me the 1 1/2 turns I've got plus an additional 6mm of thread :th:

All depends on how the nuts sit in the rim as well..... So many factors at play here :no:
Don't read too much into the 1 1/2 turns on my wheels. You have no idea how much engagement your wheels would have had in the same situation. The depth between the rear face of the wheel and the seating for the nuts is likely to be different between our wheels.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

This is true, it's a theoretical exercise at the moment until I get the wheels back from the refurbishers :th:

As an estimate, it does serve a purpose though bud :th:

shinny

Post by shinny »

MR2Jay wrote:The nuts provided with the spacer are specifically designed to sit within the depth of the spacer leaving the front face flush.
Not necessarily... in fact quite probably not on a 15mm bolt-on spacer! To fit, your wheels will need hollowed out space in between the holes for the studs. Unless they are multifitment, they probably do.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

shinny wrote:
MR2Jay wrote:That's the theory, yes. The tapered holding the spacer to the hub (and locking any circular motion) and the wheel nut holding the wheel against the spacer
Urgh, no! Don't do that...

Ignore the holes with the taper and put the hub's extended studs through the holes you knocked the studs out of. Then you've got a flat surface to mate the wheel up to, not something that is mainly a hole
:facepalm:

Very good call.... I didn't even think of that :th:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

MR2Jay wrote:Which it is. The nuts provided with the spacer are specifically designed to sit within the depth of the spacer leaving the front face flush. This is how they are secured if I were to use the secondary Studs under normal use.

As far as I can tell, the secondary Studs are used as there wouldn't be enough thread on a standard stud to safely attach the wheel. My application is slightly different as I've got extended Studs already in place for the Sparco's
on a 15mm spacer i cant see them being designed like that.
maybe on a huge 50mm spacer.

they are designed so the provided nut sits within the recess of the wheel. most wheels come with a recess between each bolt hole.
they will be shallow sure, but i doubt shallow enough to be flush with the spacer!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”