15mm Hubcentric wheel spacer fitment

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: 15mm Hubcentric wheel spacer fitment

Post by MR2Jay »

OK, time for an update based on real world findings. Tony, it's not my intention to do something dangerous, it was an idea I floated to ask opinions (which interestingly does vary) before I did anything.

As you mentioned above, I had cut down Studs before. This was based on the fact that I got fed some bad advice about extended Studs at the time telling me that there was only one that would actually fit in the hub. I fitted them only to find that they were too long to get the nuts tight. I've learnt the hard way that this isn't a good idea but at least I've learnt from my experience. Anyway, I digress. I've since found this is actually not the case and they are being replaced with 51mm ones.

To that end, I did some investigation of my own last night, as I said I would, regarding the actual stud protrusion between the spacer supplied ones and the hub fitted ones. As it turns out, once offered to the hub, there is nowhere near enough thread exposed so that immediately rules out this idea anyway. Like I said, I was brainstorming anyhow.

What DOES look possible though is taking advantage of the recesses in the Blitz and simply using the spacers as designed.

This thread was simply brainstorming. I'm not a structural or mechanical engineer but I know there are people who are. Better to ask advice than plough on and screw it up.

As another piece of information though, more out of interest than anything else, I counted the turns on the Sparco's to find there was 9 1/2 turns on these correct 51mm Studs.

So the plan as it stands is to simply use them as designed. That way I can still used the Sparco's by removing the spacers but still use the Blitz (which also would struggle on the 51mm ones without a spacer by the look of it). If the extended Studs don't fit in the recesses, get some slip on 10mm ones and just have the Blitz set 5mm further in :th:

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

MR2Jay wrote:What DOES look possible though is taking advantage of the recesses in the Blitz and simply using the spacers as designed.
Previously,
you wrote: Truthfully, although the Blitz do have a recess, from memory it is offset slightly from the holes. I doubt the 51mm ones would fit in them.
One of these statements must be incorrect, but which? :)
MR2Jay wrote:As another piece of information though, more out of interest than anything else, I counted the turns on the Sparco's to find there was 9 1/2 turns on these correct 51mm Studs.
Well within the 8 to 12 range I mentioned. Nice one. :th:
MR2Jay wrote:So the plan as it stands is to simply use them as designed. That way I can still used the Sparco's be removing the spacers but still use the Blitz (which also would struggle on the 51mm ones without a spacer by the look of it)
Provided the 51mm studs fit within the recesses in the 03s of course. You won't know for sure until you do a trial fit.

Why would the Blitz struggle without a spacer? if the Sparcos fit without one, I don't get why the the 03s wouldn't. What am I missing?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

The Sparco's have a strange construction meaning that with a stock length stud, I could only get one turn, maybe 2 from memory onto the shaft of the stud.... Hence why it needs longer Studs. From memory, I may end up with a situation where with the longer Studs, the nuts reach the end of the thread before tightening to the wheel....

Again, without the wheels here, I can't test any of these theories :no:

Regarding the recesses, I was looking at the recess in relation to the pcd of the wheel. Yes, the recess is off the centre line of that circle but it still may be able to house the excess stud. If it doesn't, plan B of a 10mm slip on spacer which will leave plenty of thread to mount the Blitz to :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Don't NS2's use the Inverted Tuner Shank nuts? That way standard length studs can be used. Part of the thread of the nut's goes through the wheel: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”