Correct tyre sizes no longer exist for me...

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: Correct tyre sizes no longer exist for me...

Post by MR2Jay »

Erm.. They did on the later mk3's I believe ;)

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

SonicSW20
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2Jay wrote:Erm.. They did on the later mk3's I believe ;)
True, forgot about that.

Other manufacturers do it too. As long as your tyre sizes are appropriate, there's nothing wrong with running 16x8 front and 17x9 rear, for example.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

MR2Jay wrote:Erm.. They did on the later mk3's I believe ;)
MK2 dude :rolleyes:

I just wouldn't do it. Just my opinion, and crack on if you are happy to do it on your own behalf.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Why wouldn't you though? You must consider there to be negative side effects to come to that conclusion?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:You must consider there to be negative side effects to come to that conclusion?
I do. I'm not having a go Gaz! The sidewall flex will be different front to back with different profiles (and even different tyres admittedly) but the black stuff is what keep you on the road, and that's a bit important!

If I've changed my wheels to 16's I've kept both front and rear rolling radius as nigh on as stock as possible, to balance the handling. Just my opinion.

HM

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

The 14" rims have been no good since Bridgestone stopped making the RE710 and that was like 10 years ago. They briefly made the RE711 but discontinued these before I could even get a set.

Your better off getting a set of stock 15" rims, people give them away over here. Tyres for these are now getting harder to find in 225/50R15 rears and 195/55R15 fronts but you can still get them for now. These also give you an improvement in grip over the stock 14" and have the advantage of bolting straight on with your existing 14" wheel nuts. The 14" tyres were never right on the rears the 205/60R14 should have been a 225/55R14 but no one ever made one with a front tyre to match in the same tread pattern.

Doesn't appear to be a problem in 15" race rubber, I guess many classes of cars still run the 15" wheel rims.

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

moominman2 wrote:
One shop suggested I just use 195 on the rear as well as the front, but I'm not too sure about that?

thanks,
Luke.
That's really bad advice and sounds like they just want your money. I'd avoid going back to that place on principal alone.

A friend of mine was told exactly that and she took their advice, made the car handle horribly and was just plain dangerous.

Like others have said, get you hands on a nice set of factory 15's. They make the car look good.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

I've got a set of rev3 wheels sitting in the garage with good rubber all round if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Howlin_Mad wrote: I do. I'm not having a go Gaz! The sidewall flex will be different front to back with different profiles (and even different tyres admittedly) but the black stuff is what keep you on the road, and that's a bit important!

If I've changed my wheels to 16's I've kept both front and rear rolling radius as nigh on as stock as possible, to balance the handling. Just my opinion.

HM
I know, I'm just trying to promote discussion.

Sure, the sidewall flex will be a bit different, but it's not the same on a standard setup or a rolling radius matched aftermarket setup as the tyres are different sizes front to rear. It's not a problem on the Mk3 or any other car with double stagger fitted as OE.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

How many other cars that have double stagger are mid engined though? The MK2 is notorious for being twitchy and very particular when it comes to rubber.

HM

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Howlin_Mad wrote:How many other cars that have double stagger are mid engined though? The MK2 is notorious for being twitchy and very particular when it comes to rubber.

HM
Could not agree more but it pretty much applies to all cars really, just about all my accidents were a result of poor rubber, usually on company cars where I didn't get a choice of what to fit or when to fit new tyres. Have learnt the hard way that cheap or worn rubber is a false economy after hitting a stone wall and the rear of a couple of cars in the wet, not to mention the odd sudden 180 degree spin for no reason. Getting it right on the MR2 also adds a lot of driving pleasure and confidence in the handling. The right rubber on the MR2 has got me out of trouble a couple of times rather than into trouble.

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

The 14s were something of a menace even when the car was new. Cheap option, go for factory 15s. Plenty around and they suit the car.
Road tyre choice is limited (assuming you want a matched set) to Pirellis (expensive and nothing special) and Falkens (cheap and nothing special).
Experimentally I'm running Rainsports on the front, Falkens on the rear. I'm still in one piece, as is the car!

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

MR2DI4 wrote: Have learnt the hard way that cheap or worn rubber is a false economy after hitting a stone wall and the rear of a couple of cars in the wet, not to mention the odd sudden 180 degree spin for no reason.
No reason? Not loaning you my car!

Think I know what you mean though, cheap nasty tyres that let go in the wet than for no other reason than being nasty hard compound no grip pieces of ****. I just call them round pieces of plastic.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Or Nankangs ;)

HM

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”