Correct tyre sizes no longer exist for me...

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Correct tyre sizes no longer exist for me...

Post by MR2DI4 »

Mitsubishi space wagon, what more can I say.

Yep 180 degrees approaching a bridge, ended up on the other side of the road pointing in the other direction. Sure there would have been a reason, probably oil on the road and it was wet I was not driving faster than usual at the time, it just let go round a very slight bend in the road approaching the bridge. Lucky I could just drive away as I never hit a thing.

Don't want to Jinx my MR2 but have owned it for 16 years, have done 170,000Km in it and have never had an accident on the road yet. The power, grip and handling make it a safer than average car, everything else being equal like driver ability and speed.

Topic author
moominman2

Post by moominman2 »

Well it has been interesting to read the comments.

I'm very paranoid about snap oversteer- especially on my rev 1 14inch wheels.

I've located some supra 16inch wheels close to me, so I could potentially buy these and fit them today.

This is the description..."toyota supra mk4 import 16" wheels full set very nice set of a origanl supra wheel in very good condition paint is very good no marks scuffs or damage tyers are no to bad still legal postage can be arranged".

Not much info, but would these fit comfortably with no issues? Will the extra 2 inches help against snap oversteer, and what is a decent price for a set of these?

Many thanks,
Luke

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Supra offsets are different, may require spacers to fit and clear the suspension
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
moominman2

Post by moominman2 »

Ok, thanks. Is this cheap to do?

Any cheap options to a set of 16" wheels? I'm not looking for 'boyracer'. In fact, I'd prefer stock mr2 wheels.

Luke

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

moominman2 wrote: I'm very paranoid about snap oversteer- especially on my rev 1 14inch wheels.
'Snap oversteer' :ranting1:

Everything has it's limitations, that annoying comment made by some fool of a motoring writer due to his poor understanding of mid-engined cars and physics lead to him losing control. It would be a written about phenomenon on porsches and ferraris as well if they were put in the hands of the incompetent more often. (But there's no shortage of examples of foolish deaths in rear engined porsches)

Complaining about snap oversteer on an MR2 is akin to complaining about 'snap gravity' if you lean over too far when cornering on a motorcycle. "I was riding along just fine, cornered and the thing just fell over, must be a fault with the design, not the me of course"

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Rev5v6 wrote:
moominman2 wrote: I'm very paranoid about snap oversteer- especially on my rev 1 14inch wheels.

Everything has it's limitations, that annoying comment made by some fool of a motoring writer due to his poor understanding of mid-engined cars and physics lead to him losing control. It would be a written about phenomenon on porsches and ferraris as well if they were put in the hands of the incompetent more often. (But there's no shortage of examples of foolish deaths in rear engined porsches)

Complaining about snap oversteer on an MR2 is akin to complaining about 'snap gravity' if you lean over too far when cornering on a motorcycle. "I was riding along just fine, cornered and the thing just fell over, must be a fault with the design, not the me of course"

:clapping:
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
moominman2

Post by moominman2 »

Ok, fair enough- cheers for the explanation.

I've recently bought the rev 1, and I haven't yet experienced it, so I'm naturally a bit apprehensive.

Can someone please advise me on some wheels/ sizes that I can just put on and have several decent tires available to chose from with no worries of them getting harder to find in the future?

Topic author
lamby27

Post by lamby27 »

get some stock rev 3 on 15s, mines on its originals look a lot nicer then the earlier wheels too, tyre wise ive found many places online that supply the fronts and rears, admit the rears are harder to find but no real issue after a quick search, cant expect local garages to stock these sizes, maybe the front but not many other cars have these sizes so it wouldnt make sense trying to sell the rear sizes, this way you have no fitment issues, someone must have a set they want gone cheap after fitting modern alloys, keep an eye on ebay they do crop up, if your lucky with tyres, if you want to change wheels they still need to remain staggered as mentioned earlier, so it would be more hassle to sort that out, in the end its each to thier own but yeah rev 3 alloys :th:

Topic author
kareem

Post by kareem »

Rev5v6 wrote:

100 points for the term "snap gravity". HA!

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

moominman2 wrote:Ok, fair enough- cheers for the explanation.

I've recently bought the rev 1, and I haven't yet experienced it, so I'm naturally a bit apprehensive.

Can someone please advise me on some wheels/ sizes that I can just put on and have several decent tires available to chose from with no worries of them getting harder to find in the future?

Well, it's not something you will experience unless you drive like an ar$eclown. And if you do happen to overdrive the car and your level of skill not likely you'll be reposting here due to written off car or written off body.

Like every other man and his dog (including me and my dog) have said, stock toyota 15' wheels improve the handling and the looks (in my opinion) They are cheap and plentiful. No one can tell when the rears tyres for the 15's will become unavailable, but I still run them as many others do. And it's tYres. I hate yank spelling.

Topic author
moominman2

Post by moominman2 »

Ok- Well thanks for the thorough explanation. I do not intend to drive it like a tw*t, I merely wish to find out how hard you have to push it to experience this universally known 'phenomenon'. As a new MR2 owner, I'd rather ask about it here first than be scared to drive my car.

And what if I am in fact, a "yank"? I'm collecting some rev 4 wheels with legal tIres on later :clapping: :clapping:

Luke.

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

Experienced that phenomenon yet?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Rev5v6 wrote:Experienced that phenomenon yet?
The snap overseer is an interesting topic.

Yes I have experienced it 3 times in my first outing at a track. Spun the car 3 times in the first 10 laps. No damage but on reflection I was lucky, others have managed to roll the car while exiting the track into the grass.

Things I took away from it.

1. You simply CANNOT go anywhere near the brake pedal at high speed unless you in pretty much a straight line. If your transitioning between a left and right corners for example or what you call a chicane or your into the apex of a corner that you suddenly think you entered too fast the last thing you want to do is hit the brakes. The MR2 does an instant 180 Degree on the spot and your going backwards at speed.

2. Its all relative, to experience this on an open public road you would already have to be driving like a lunatic. With really good tyres you would already be driving at speeds above and beyond that an ordinary car can handle and it would have already left the road and gone into a ditch anyway. Simply put every car has limits and you need to stay within them. The MR2 has above average handling for a car but your expecting a little much for it to handle like a Porsche, its simply not in the same price bracket but it should be noted that even a Porsche Carrera GT can be driven into a tree by an idiot.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”