Correct tyre sizes no longer exist for me...

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Correct tyre sizes no longer exist for me...

Post by Howlin_Mad »

My Auto has an almost digital type of power delivery, the box is very much, slow, slow, and then full torque and on 15's it can get a little tail happy when it kicks down unexpectadly :blink:

The turbo with twice the power and torque is so much more controllable in the wet and the snow. I can take large roundabouts at 60mph with no drama in the wet and the dry. The Auto I have to be careful.

Drive to what you know the car will do.

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

MR2DI4 wrote:
Rev5v6 wrote:Experienced that phenomenon yet?
The snap overseer is an interesting topic.

Yes I have experienced it 3 times in my first outing at a track. Spun the car 3 times in the first 10 laps. No damage but on reflection I was lucky, others have managed to roll the car while exiting the track into the grass.

Things I took away from it.

1. You simply CANNOT go anywhere near the brake pedal at high speed unless you in pretty much a straight line. If your transitioning between a left and right corners for example or what you call a chicane or your into the apex of a corner that you suddenly think you entered too fast the last thing you want to do is hit the brakes. The MR2 does an instant 180 Degree on the spot and your going backwards at speed.

2. Its all relative, to experience this on an open public road you would already have to be driving like a lunatic. With really good tyres you would already be driving at speeds above and beyond that an ordinary car can handle and it would have already left the road and gone into a ditch anyway. Simply put every car has limits and you need to stay within them.
I have tracked my car a few times, last time on Toyo T1R's. No, they are not race tyres. Yes, they over heated and got greasy.
They started to get slidey, I got overconfident with the cornering thinking i was 'the man'.

The car corrected this train of thought for me and promptly spun me around four or five times and then into a tyre wall.

Was it a fault of the car? No, driver error all the way. I went beyond the limits of the tyres and my level of skill to handle tyres in the state is not that of a drift king.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

That's the problem with the MR2, its not a drift car beyond the limits.

Not sure it can even be turned into one, I guess its possible with one hell of a lot of time and testing not to mention money on different set-ups. Something like the Toyota GT86 is touted as a drift car right out of the factory and I have to say after racing Karts its way easier to control a 4 wheel drift than a sudden tail spin. Something that's also predictable if you go beyond the limit is also better as a race car, you have the confidence to go to the limit, on the MR2 you want to stay away from it with a margin of safety.

Really, Really good rubber is the place to start, cheap tyres on these cars will try to kill you.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Of course you can drift an MR2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De81BrQjoRY

You're never going to get the full on plumes of smoke lairy stuff, but you can drift them.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Of course you can drift an MR2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De81BrQjoRY

You're never going to get the full on plumes of smoke lairy stuff, but you can drift them.
You can drift MR2's on any tyres if you have the skill. I can't. I know someone who will do it on every roundabout, in the dry, in the snow, up a Welsh mountain in the snow for fun.

I spend too much time on boring roads with traffic to hone those skills driving into Walsall every day :no:

My MR2 Turbo IS my daily commuter car.

HM

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Aye, the Sonic Boom cars have a drift oriented setup though, and have modified steering to give them loads of extra lock which helps!

You can get the bits the Sonic Boom guys use in the UK via an importer on IMOC :th:
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Aye, the Sonic Boom cars have a drift oriented setup though, and have modified steering to give them loads of extra lock which helps!

You can get the bits the Sonic Boom guys use in the UK via an importer on IMOC :th:
Think of a couple of nutters from JAE. No parts required. Just MR2's. Had a couple of Vans ;)

HM

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Howlin_Mad wrote:I know someone who will do it on every roundabout, in the dry, in the snow, up a Welsh mountain in the snow for fun.
Howlin_Mad wrote:Think of a couple of nutters from JAE. No parts required. Just MR2's. Had a couple of Vans ;)
Couldn't possibly be any connection there...? :tumble: .
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:
Howlin_Mad wrote:I know someone who will do it on every roundabout, in the dry, in the snow, up a Welsh mountain in the snow for fun.
Howlin_Mad wrote:Think of a couple of nutters from JAE. No parts required. Just MR2's. Had a couple of Vans ;)
Couldn't possibly be any connection there...? :tumble: .
None whatsoever.

Might frequent Scotland too... :laughing

HM

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”