Sticky front tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
parker455

Sticky front tyres

Post by parker455 »

Hi guys,

Demon tweaks have an offer on in the right size for me 215/45/17 at £200 delivered.

I'm currently on potenza's up front and they're ready for replacement, their grip in the corners isn't the best, understeer a bit but they've lasted me really well.

I want something that sticks like "censored" to a blanket.

I've heard the AD08's don't last long at all, what's the consensus on this? Around 8000 miles a year tops.

Thanks folks!
Last edited by parker455 on 18/09/15 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

Show 'n' Shine winner - Aug '13
Rev2 Turbo - '93

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: AD08's - Worth the extra?

Post by shinny »

Sure the right size isn't 215/40/17? ;)

I've recently fitted AD08Rs and they're nearly up to R888 standards of grip. Didn't appear to be a disaster in the wet either. Can't comment on life though, although I would be surprised if you get 8000 miles out of a set of rears.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

AD08R's are a great compromise and kind of sit between a road tyre and a track day tyre. They work in the wet, however they cannot clear standing water as well as a decent road oriented tyre. They clear water better than an R888 though.

They won't last anywhere near as long as a normal road tyre, the compound is a lot softer to generate the extra grip. It's always going to be a trade off. Great for a weekend fun car, not great for a daily!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Wizzle
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Wizzle »

Gazza_DJ wrote:AD08R's are a great compromise and kind of sit between a road tyre and a track day tyre. They work in the wet, however they cannot clear standing water as well as a decent road oriented tyre. They clear water better than an R888 though.

They won't last anywhere near as long as a normal road tyre, the compound is a lot softer to generate the extra grip. It's always going to be a trade off. Great for a weekend fun car, not great for a daily!
^^ +1
+ they are not good coming into winter. They are a fantastic summer tyre but in low single figures and around freezing they take a very long time to warm up. should not be used in snow, though i'm sure some people do do, and start to shred and degrade below freezing. Got just under 4000 miles out of my last set on the rear :blush: If i were you, unless you are heading for the track in the dry and need the grip, I would spend the extra money on a decent set of road tyres (Conti or Goodyear would highly recommend). After all, that's where your going to spend most of the time.
I'm no tubby! Proud to be N/A.

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

They're excellent although struggle to get them up to temp on the road, I prefer the parada on the road.
On track they're excellent, need something equally as gripping on the rear or else you struggle with oversteer.
Lasted really well on the front, still got about 4mm left and they're a few years old and had track time
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Thank you everyone for the response! They will be for up front, I use (this may annoy some of you) a Maxxis MAZ-1 drift tyre for the rear, they're so sticky it's unreal so I'm getting alot of understeer from the bridgestones. I'm not too fussed about the oversteer if I get the stickier fronts (that's what it's all about, right?).

What does concern me is their wear rate, I wouldn't imagine they would wear much for up front, rears are understandable. But I don't want to be replacing them next year, my maxxis have lasted very very well and are only down 2.5mm over the year.

I tried eagle F1's on a spare set of wheels and they seemed good, but for the money I'm not sure..
Rev2 Turbo - '93

shinny

Post by shinny »

MRturboTom wrote:I prefer the parada on the road.
Of all the tyres I've driven (on SW20s that also includes Nankang ditchfinders, Uniroyal Rainsports Toyo T1Rs, Falken 452s, Toyo R888s and Yokohama AD08Rs) the Parada was the worst in the wet and put me into the scariest, most unexpected slide I've ever had in an MR2. I would never, ever buy another set. Pretty good in the dry, though, although clearly not in the AD08/R888 league.

Just my 2p...

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Just find out the tread wear rating, the R888's on mine are only 100.

Really depends on your Km's each week and how you drive, essentially you don't want tyres on your car much more than 3 or 4 years after the production date that's moulded into the sides of them anyway.

With low Km's the R888's on mine expire before they wear out.

Saw some AD08's and they really look the go for my Subaru when I change, simply sensational in 225/45R18, from memory the tread wear was like 180. The reviews I read on them have them up with or better than Bridgestone RE003 Adrenalins. I would say if you can get your perfect tyre size you would be hard pressed to find anything better.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

parker455 wrote:I tried eagle F1's on a spare set of wheels and they seemed good, but for the money I'm not sure..
I've said this before and I make no apologies for doing so again. How much is your insurance excess? I'm willing to bet it is considerably more than the difference in the cost of tyres.

Tyre ratings: The Goodyears score better in all categories.
- Eagle F1: Fuel Efficiency: C/Wet Grip: A/ NoiseClass: 2 (70dB)
- AD08R: Fuel Efficiency: F/ Wet Grip: B/ NoiseClass: 3 (75dB)
n. b. wet grip is much more important than dry.

On T2 my tyres see far more time on the road than they ever will on a track so that is the prime focus AFAIAC. If you're going to do regular track days then get a spare set of wheels and use the right tyre for the job.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

shinny wrote:
MRturboTom wrote:I prefer the parada on the road.
Of all the tyres I've driven (on SW20s that also includes Nankang ditchfinders, Uniroyal Rainsports Toyo T1Rs, Falken 452s, Toyo R888s and Yokohama AD08Rs) the Parada was the worst in the wet and put me into the scariest, most unexpected slide I've ever had in an MR2. I would never, ever buy another set. Pretty good in the dry, though, although clearly not in the AD08/R888 league.

Just my 2p...
Ran them in the rain on b road blasts, ran through winter and never had an issue with them, one of the best tyres I've used on the front, never had braking issues unlike I've had with the ad08.
Also ran them on different platforms, definitely superior dry grip but wet was never a problem.
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

seems to be some poor understanding in tyre basics.

The advantage of softer compounds is that they increase the level of grip in the wet as well as the dry. All things are relative however, how much water a semi-slick will tolerate is dependant on the remaining tread depth, its no different to a normal road tyre. Also your tyre pressure in the wet needs to increase compared to that of the dry if you want better results. No tyre I have ever used is any good when you hit a puddle of standing water at speed, they all aquaplane.

Running something like an AD08 may just mean trimming your speed a little if its pouring with rain, otherwise its going to have a superior all round performance and handling characteristic. The disadvantages are usually noise, the R888's are fine when new but they just get worse and worse as they wear and age, they are REALLY bad at the end of their life. Fuel economy ? who cares its a sports car and I notice next to no difference in mileage anyway.

Toyo R888's make a massive difference on the stock 15" rims due to the sidewall stiffness. The other extreme is I currently run the cheap Chinese 18" tyres on the Subaru as its what it came with and they are fine, sure you would want more grip on the track but for just round town driving you would not notice the difference between these and AD08's, the reduced sidewall just levels out the playing field in terms of the way it "feels" to drive. What your paying for in the AD08 is confidence in a level of grip when you push the car really hard or track day it. Depending on your driving style or intended use, the extra paid can just be a waste of money.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

MR2DI4 wrote:seems to be some poor understanding in tyre basics.

The advantage of softer compounds is that they increase the level of grip in the wet as well as the dry. All things are relative however, how much water a semi-slick will tolerate is dependant on the remaining tread depth, its no different to a normal road tyre. Also your tyre pressure in the wet needs to increase compared to that of the dry if you want better results. No tyre I have ever used is any good when you hit a puddle of standing water at speed, they all aquaplane.

Running something like an AD08 may just mean trimming your speed a little if its pouring with rain, otherwise its going to have a superior all round performance and handling characteristic. The disadvantages are usually noise, the R888's are fine when new but they just get worse and worse as they wear and age, they are REALLY bad at the end of their life. Fuel economy ? who cares its a sports car and I notice next to no difference in mileage anyway.

Toyo R888's make a massive difference on the stock 15" rims due to the sidewall stiffness. The other extreme is I currently run the cheap Chinese 18" tyres on the Subaru as its what it came with and they are fine, sure you would want more grip on the track but for just round town driving you would not notice the difference between these and AD08's, the reduced sidewall just levels out the playing field in terms of the way it "feels" to drive. What your paying for in the AD08 is confidence in a level of grip when you push the car really hard or track day it. Depending on your driving style or intended use, the extra paid can just be a waste of money.
Paragraph 1 and 2 I fully agree.

3 I dont to an extent.

You have to realise this is a UK club Carl, and we get different stuff over here. Your input is always welcome, and valuable, but don't get me wrong, the stuff you get sometimes in NZ is not in practice with the stuff in the UK, or even other European countries.

I know where you are coming from (we all love MR2's right?), but we have different stuff over here, to you, end of.

Your input is well regarded though, not having a dig! I always enjoy your posts and advice, but be aware which end of the globe some people are. Sometimes your advice is not applicable to the UK MR2 market.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

shinny

Post by shinny »

MRturboTom wrote:Ran them in the rain on b road blasts, ran through winter and never had an issue with them, one of the best tyres I've used on the front, never had braking issues unlike I've had with the ad08.
Also ran them on different platforms, definitely superior dry grip but wet was never a problem.
Your experience clearly differs from mine... in my opinion Paradas are nothing more than a summer tyre inferior to the R888s and AD08s in both the dry and the wet (when they are close to lethal).
TonyleFrog wrote:n. b. wet grip is much more important than dry.
Absolutely yes... but also really not...

On a daily / regular drive then yes I 100% agree. I fit the best A rated tyres I can find to my BMW and run group-test topping winter tyres for the cold 4 months of the year.

However my MR2 Turbo is a toy, mostly coming out on sunny days in the dry and only out of necessity when it's wet. Thus actually putting the power down and enjoying the handling in the dry is a much higher priority, which is where the AD08Rs really come into their own. They're perfectly acceptable in the wet, but of everything else I've driven they, with the R888s, are absolutely in a league of their own in the dry, which I what I want.

Topic author
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the responses and my apologies for the late reply!

I've noticed my rears will need replacing sooner than I thought too, I'm quite happy to go for the Maxxis again up rear as I've found a great deal for these but I'm still after my fronts..

My budget is eeking in, I've got a clutch/belt and load of other things that need doing at the moment and I'm concerned that I won't have much left after this months paycheck :bye:

The Eagle F1's are around £86 each in a 215/40/17, which for me is going to be a squeeze, T1r's are £69 each.

other option is a Ventus V12 in the same size @ £66 - Scores E fuel/A wet grip/B noise with only 1DB more than the F1's.

I'm looking for a sticky tyre up front to combat the understeer I'm getting currently on Potenza's 215/40/17. Has anyone got any more suggestions to my woes?

Cheers :th:
Rev2 Turbo - '93

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”