What tyres are people using?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Kris-mr2

What tyres are people using?

Post by Kris-mr2 »

Unfortunately i have to get new rear tyres found my osr has a flat spot and yesterday i picked up a stone in my nsr sidewall so now need 2 rear tyres unlucky i know :(, i currently have t1-r's all round just wondered what other people use as it doesnt seem a common tyre size as not many performance spec tyres about.

I have standard 225/50r15

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: What tyres are people using?

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Kris-mr2 wrote:Unfortunately i have to get new rear tyres found my osr has a flat spot and yesterday i picked up a stone in my nsr sidewall so now need 2 rear tyres unlucky i know :(, i currently have t1-r's all round just wondered what other people use as it doesnt seem a common tyre size as not many performance spec tyres about.

I have standard 225/50r15
I ditched my 15" wheels years ago as there was simply no decent tyres available for the stock rims.

16's options are becoming slimmer pickings too tbh...

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

adamstanford

Post by adamstanford »

Avon zt5 on mine. Worst tyre ever.
Not to be confused with the zv5

Had kenda kaiser sr20 iirc on my corolla t sport and thought they were very good.

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

The falken zeix is better than the t1rs in the stock size, longer life, less wallowy and just as grippy if not more so
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Toyo is still making good rubber for 15", I did run with a set of T1R a few years ago, they are a bit unnerving the way they feel going into corners hard but they do hang on. They could use a stiffer side wall to improve them. With mine no longer being a daily driver the current setup is race rubber, Toyo R888's, its a no contest in grip and they are like 17-18 tyres in feel.

Topic author
dannyboolahlah

Post by dannyboolahlah »

Not sure how long ago it was, but Toyo did increase the tyre wall stiffness on the T1R a few years ago.
I'm running them on mine, and have done on 2 cars previous. Can't complain at all for the price.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MRturboTom wrote:The falken zeix is better than the t1rs in the stock size, longer life, less wallowy and just as grippy if not more so
912/914's? Completely disagree there. Never experienced it being 'wallowy' on stock sizes either. What pressures were you running?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
MRturboTom wrote:The falken zeix is better than the t1rs in the stock size, longer life, less wallowy and just as grippy if not more so
912/914's? Completely disagree there. Never experienced it being 'wallowy' on stock sizes either. What pressures were you running?
Standard pressures, toyo on stock size tyres are horrid.
Ran both the 912/914 but couldn't remember time of writing what number was the current one
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

914's are the new ones.

My favourite tyre on the stock wheels was the Yokohama A022, which I think was actually the OE spec tyre? Shame they were discontinued.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jvanzyl
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jvanzyl »

I'm on toyo proxes all round... No issues so far!

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

I have rainsport 3s on the front, Falkens on the back. There is logic (of a sort!) behind this, they work fine, cheap as chips.

Topic author
Kris-mr2

Post by Kris-mr2 »

Think i will probably just get some more t1r's then i find them to hold to the road well just didnt know wether its my bad luck with the osr tyre getting a flat spot or wether t1r's have faults they are cheap and best tyres i think il get for the 225/50r15 tyres

Topic author
sheep

Post by sheep »

I had toyo t1r's and in the dry they are great but nasty in the wet, now changed over to hankook which aren't as good in the dry but miles better in the wet. With winter months upon us hankook seem a safe bet. 205.45.16 and 225.45.16

Topic author
skyhighatrist85

Post by skyhighatrist85 »

Hankook Ventus V12 evo. 215 40 17 on front and 235 40 17 rear.

No complaints as of yet. Less than £400 on mytyres.co.uk

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”