Rx7 wheels?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Kris-mr2

Rx7 wheels?

Post by Kris-mr2 »

Just found some std rx7 alloys which i have been looking for for a while now, they come with tyres question is i know the wheels fit the mr2 but will i need to change tyre size also will i need to make any modifications for them to fit like spacers etc?
Thanks

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Rx7 wheels?

Post by TonyleFrog »

You're going to need to be more specific. Are they from a RX-7 III (FD)? If so, which model year? 1992-1996 cars came with 7Jx16 ET36. If they are from a 1997 onwards JDM car, depending on trim level they could be 8Jx16, 8Jx17, or 8.5Jx17. All of those will be ET50.

The earlier ones should be fine. Just make sure you fit staggered tyres though.
205/45/16 front & 225/45/16 rear.

The later MY wheels are another matter. They won't fit without spacers.
For tyres sizes, see this chart - http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyr ... dvice.html
It is advisable to still maintain a 20mm (minimum)/30mm front/rear difference on tyre width.

Unless you have a craving for oversteer... :blink:
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

Well this was all of 30s of google time: http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=165109 ;)

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Quite, but look at that thread title - FD Rims (Stock 93-95 Rx7 16") on MKII Mr2's...Pics?[/b]
How can you be sure which MY RX-7 the OP's wheels come from? He hasn't said, nor what diameter they are: only that he 'knows' they fit the MR2. If they are from a 1997 onwards FD3S they will be ET50 and definitely need spacers.

In the absence of specific information, assumptions can lead people down the wrong path. :)

shinny

Post by shinny »

TonyleFrog wrote:In the absence of specific information, assumptions can lead people down the wrong path. :)
I assumed nothing... I merely posted a link to a thread that could potentially be pertinent and which has enough information for the OP to accept or reject the content. And I'm not leading him anywhere because, like you said, we know next tp nothing about the wheels he wants to fit. Did you see me make any suggestions? :rolleyes:

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Fair enough. And the point of the comment about 30s of Google time was...? :confused1:

shinny

Post by shinny »

TonyleFrog wrote:Fair enough. And the point of the comment about 30s of Google time was...? :confused1:
To show information is out there and easily at your finger tips... this seems to have annoyed you though, because you're making a big deal of one little link :blink:

Topic author
Kris-mr2

Post by Kris-mr2 »

They are 16s thats all the details he states is there a noticable difference from the earlier model 16s to the newer 16s from photos? I did look on google but couldnt find the answers to my question so sorry for not finding the link you sent after you looking through google for 30s.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Have you got a photo? Or a link to the advert? The specs for wheels are often stamped on the back so the seller should be able to check that I'd they're not on a car...

And the 30s comment was just saying that I've not really looked into it get. Sometimes you just get lucky (or unlucky) with how you navigate the googletron.

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

shinny wrote:
TonyleFrog wrote:Fair enough. And the point of the comment about 30s of Google time was...? :confused1:
To show information is out there and easily at your finger tips... this seems to have annoyed you though, because you're making a big deal of one little link :blink:
Not sure why you think I am annoyed. There is a great deal of information out there. The trick is knowing whether it helps or hinders the questioner. His response to your post says how he feels about it, so I'll leave it there.

Your link reveals one interesting thing though. The 15mm spacers on the front. That suggests to me the wheels may well be the ET50 ones from a later MY RX-7. I can't see why they would be needed on ET36 ones.
Kris-mr2 wrote:They are 16s thats all the details he states is there a noticable difference from the earlier model 16s to the newer 16s from photos?
The honest answer is - I don't know. Here's a pic of some 8Jx16 ET50s
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/Sla ... D9EIUV.jpg

As shinny said there should be some info stamped on the reverse (of the hub and/or spokes).
In case there isn't, take these with you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAxJBWUM9Jo
With the tyre still fitted it won't be millimetre perfect but you should able to tell whether they are 7J or 8J wheels. As the offset of each is a known quantity, the result you get for that will provide additional confirmation.

FWIW my gut feeling is that they will be the 8J ones.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”