TYRE CHOICE

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
knocker

TYRE CHOICE

Post by knocker »

HI I have a rev 3 turbo with standard 15 inch wheels which is a recent import from Japan. I am planning to replace the rear tyres 225x 50 R15 91V any suggestions on best make. I do about 9000 miles pa . Thanks Graeme

dannyboolahlah

Re: TYRE CHOICE

Post by dannyboolahlah »

There's not a lot of choice for that tyre size unfortunately.
Most people go for aftermarket wheels for that reason.
I like the standard wheels though, and I use Toyo Proxes T1-R. You'll find mixed reviews for them, but I rate them highly. They wear quite quickly, and aren't great in the wet, but they're cheap, and the MR2 isn't a car to drive aggressively in the wet anyway!

BambooJoe

Post by BambooJoe »

The only options I’ve come across for the standard 15 inch rims are Toyo Proxes and a tyre made by Nankang (can’t remember the model).

The previous owner put the Nankang tyres on the back of my NA Rev4 and I’m not that impressed by them. I’ll be switching to Toyo Proxes shortly and weighing them up before I consider switching out my standard rims.

dannyboolahlah

Post by dannyboolahlah »

The other option available is a Pirelli one, but they're silly money.
Presumably designed for the only other car that uses this tyre size - the Lamborghini Countach!

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

The Toyo T1-R are a reasonable if you don't drive like a maniac, if you really want to push it and its not a daily driver and you have the option of taking it out now and again in fine weather then the Toyo R888's are the best fit.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”