Wheel Advice

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
lewiswhitmore524
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Wheel Advice

Post by lewiswhitmore524 »

Hi all. So I had a pretty bad experience with a rear calliper being jammed up and eating its own rotor on the rear side due to uneven braking force on the brake pads. I didn't notice it as soon as I should have and since I can't afford to not drive my car, I carried on driving it while waiting to get it booked in and a lot of the eaten rotor ended up as a fine metal dust on the wheels. This has mixed with brake dust and been exposed to the wet and is now a rusty nightmare of a mess to get rid of.

All sorted now and brakes are back to working order, I might add.

Below are some pics of the bad wheel and the good wheel for comparison.

Bad:

Good:

Now, first off, how the hell do I get rid of this mess. It's really caked on there and I think I risk scratching the paint underneath if I use something abrasive enough to move it. Is there anything strong enough to dissolve/move this mess without damaging the paint? I've tried brake cleaner and some stuff my mechanic friend gave me that he referred to as "truck wash". Both unfruitful.

Secondly, more long term plans. The wheels were pretty badly kerbed in some places from the previous owner. These wheels are fantastically designed so the spokes hit the kerb first before the tyre and rim so there are nice chips midway up the spokes. So the question. When I have them repaired eventually do you say keep the same colour? Do you think it suits the car? Opinions welcomed. What colour would you have them done in? And powder coat or paint? Since the wheels came from the previous owner, do you think they suit the car? I've always thought they looked a little too gappy myself but I like the look overall.

Current look:

Thanks all!

'93 Zircon Blue Turbo
'90 Astral Black G-Limited NA Auto (V6 soon)

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Wheel Advice

Post by pbmr2 »

with rust it`s basically refurb or nothing sadly. As you say, anything decent enough to remove it will damage the finish of the wheel. Which is prob stuffed anyway due to that stuff burning into the lacquer.

The looks are fine from a distance side on shot, but I`m no fan of spokes that stick out past the rim. This is of course personal taste. In general the 6 spoke designs do suit the car imo.
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
lewiswhitmore524

pbmr2 wrote:with rust it`s basically refurb or nothing sadly. As you say, anything decent enough to remove it will damage the finish of the wheel. Which is prob stuffed anyway due to that stuff burning into the lacquer.

The looks are fine from a distance side on shot, but I`m no fan of spokes that stick out past the rim. This is of course personal taste. In general the 6 spoke designs do suit the car imo.
Yeah. I like the look of 6 spoke I was thinking maybe something more meaty. Rota do other wheels that are similar but with fatter spokes. Just need to look into whether they stick out or not. Equally not a fan of that. Whether or not I get these refurbed or just buy a new set and leave them depends on if I find something I really like or not. Unfortunately I don't have strong opinions on cosmetic choices. Unsure if it's enough to make me shell out for a new set of wheels!
'93 Zircon Blue Turbo

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

The wheel itself will be fine (it's aluminium alloy), but the paint underneath is probably damaged to some degree anyway.

You could try something like this: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/blog/prod ... n-remover/

However they are not designed to deal with that amount of iron. Multiple applications might do it, maybe?

You should be able to get it to the point where it looks presentable, anyway.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
lewiswhitmore524

Gazza_DJ wrote:The wheel itself will be fine (it's aluminium alloy), but the paint underneath is probably damaged to some degree anyway.

You could try something like this: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/blog/prod ... n-remover/

However they are not designed to deal with that amount of iron. Multiple applications might do it, maybe?

You should be able to get it to the point where it looks presentable, anyway.
Yeah I might give that a go. The reviews look good!
'93 Zircon Blue Turbo

Topic author
lewiswhitmore524

So I've decided to bite the bullet and get the wheels refurbished.

The only problem is I'm terrible at deciding on colours. What colour would you guys go for? Does the gun metal grey suit it? Only colour I don't want is black. Suggestions?

I'm not very creative in this department!

'93 Zircon Blue Turbo

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

Any greyscale colour will work great on that blue.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”