Standard rear tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

DefiantFrog

Re: Standard rear tyres

Post by DefiantFrog »

Ah, I forgot to update!

tyresonthedrive.com we're able to get some toyos for the stock wheels, and drive to my house to replace all four at 10am on a Sunday morning, did a great job, and at a price competitive with local dealers if they were able to get some! Contact to happy customer was 2 days!

Following my feedback on their website, they also made their website deal with a staggered set up too!

Give them a call, they might still have some.

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

Tried them but they only have budget or Pirellies :(
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

DefiantFrog

Post by DefiantFrog »

Oh, that sucks. You are starting down the line I was looking down till I got what I was after.

Sadly, I couldn't find anywhere locally that had 205 55 15s in either. I can't see it making that much difference. People run non-staggered setups all the time. How wrong can it be....??

Take one for the team, try it and report back! ;)

Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

DefiantFrog wrote: Sadly, I couldn't find anywhere locally that had 205 55 15s in either. I can't see it making that much difference. People run non-staggered setups all the time. How wrong can it be....??

Take one for the team, try it and report back! ;)
Thats really bad advice. :shocked:

How wrong can it be??? Very bloody wrong, don't do it.

Either change your rim size or keep looking until you find the sizes you need. Good luck with it though, i'm about to go through the same problem - really don't want to change rim sizes, but if I did i'd want to go 16's - but there's sweet FA available in the right sizes there too.

DefiantFrog

Post by DefiantFrog »

Not so bad if its the only option available...

As you say, there's sweet FA available at a sensible price and performance in either stock size, or at 16". Personally, I'd rather have good rubber, but a centimetre less of it than bad rubber at the stock size.

So, running the risk of making a "censored" of myself and being the cause of some heavy internet argument: What's so wrong about it?

pbmr2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by pbmr2 »

This ship seems to have sailed on any non-budget year round grippy 15" rubber. Last year made the switch to 16" rims and am very much enjoying the better tyre selection.

If you do choose to go up in rim size make sure you get the right rims. 16" 7j et35, 8j rear.
Get hold of some light rims, mine are ok but wouldn't describe them as lightweight. Did notice it in the handling and the steering. Current setup is 205/45 and 225/45 with some very sticky rubber that works in the wet too.
Upgrading to 215 and 245 for a little more comfort and contact patch due to a turbo transplant.

Sadly the decent all weather tyres have gone from 15", even 16" it's getting harder to get all matching rubber.
Get some light 16s :D
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

DefiantFrog wrote:Not so bad if its the only option available...

As you say, there's sweet FA available at a sensible price and performance in either stock size, or at 16". Personally, I'd rather have good rubber, but a centimetre less of it than bad rubber at the stock size.

So, running the risk of making a "censored" of myself and being the cause of some heavy internet argument: What's so wrong about it?
Have you ever driven an MR2 in the rain down a B road in winter with budget tyres on non staggered rims? I have and it's a VERY oversteer setup. If a very loose style of handling is not wanted then it's not the setup to be used.

That said a rev1 NA on 215/45r16 goodyear eagle f1 tyres all round was very planted, almost too grippy.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

DefiantFrog

Post by DefiantFrog »

I think the bulk of your problems in that set up are here: "in the rain down a B road in winter with budget tyres".

I agree, staggered and right size is ideal. But beggars can't be choosers, and we aren't rich in options right now. Corners need to be cut, different things need to be tried to see us through. I do now feel very fortunate that I seem to have gotten myself the very last pair of 225 50 15 T1-Rs in the country.

Choices seem to be:

- All of us campaign heavily for Toyo to make that shipment early. In reality, this is unlikely to happen.
- New bigger rims for widely available tyres, with a staggered set up (of wheels and tyres ideally, but maybe just tyres), and good tyres.
- New bigger rims for widely available tyres, without a staggered set up at all, and good tyres.
- experiment with different sized tyres on the rear that we can still get.
- wait for months for Toyo to ship some new T1-Rs.

And then there's the point of 'How much longer will Toyo make a tyre that fits on only two cars on the road today: 2000 or so registered MR2s, and maybe 4 or 5 registered Ferraris'. If I was running that business, I would cut my losses...

martin42006

Post by martin42006 »

Many thanks for all the advice :)
The setup will still be staggered as the fronts are still on 195's so that might help a bit right?

I can get some 205 toyo t1r's for a reasonable price, which shouldnt be to far into the budget end of tyres.

I think I will go for them so that I can get the car through its Mot and on the road whilst keeping my eye out for a set of 16" that I like and are correct.
I will report back what it's like to drive although I won't have much to compare it to, we will just have to see if I land in a ditch coming home from work.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

DefiantFrog

Post by DefiantFrog »

I wouldn't class Toyos as budget particularly. They've not invested a tonne of time/money in to keeping the wear rate at the top end, but certainly dry and moist grip levels are up there. And I am actually finding these in stock sizes to be a much more comfortable and quieter ride than the Yokohama A055's that have just come off.

I'd say as long as you realise you aren't running an optimum set up, and compensate accordingly (i.e. wait till you're out of the corner before you boot it instead of booting it while still straightening up), and as I'm sure we always do - drive to the conditions, you'll be ok for the short term.

If your current tyres are that shot anyway, likely hood is even incorrectly sized budget tyres will feel better than whatever you have right now. :)

Topic author
Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Well ive had the nankangs on the tubby for a good few months and have found them fine and grippy even in damp conditions so for now im happy and would rather run them than a non staggered set up.
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

martin42006

Post by martin42006 »

Have you driven much in the bad weather? Asking as almost every review i found said they were appauling. :confused1:
The setup will still be staggered just not by as much.

I have ordered some t1r's now anyway so just need to take the rims and have them fitted :)
GNU Terry Pratchett

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Had budget nangkangs on a non staggered 16" setup and it was REALLY oversteery. drifting everywhere all the time in the wet, in an NA. Even doing 20mph round a roundabout with a copper behind it would stick the tail quite far out. That took some talking to get out of.

If you like a loose setup or just want to try the choices or test your luck then stick whatever you like on there. It is indeed your choice afterall. If you are not 100% happy with oversteer at random moments even when driving within normal limits, then think hard.

Ben, do yourself a favour and understand the potential risks of sticking any old tyre size on a mid engined slightly performance car. Oversteer is fun, but the steering inputs have to be fast in mid engine and accurate or spins happen.

I have tried staggered and non staggered, decent, budget and midrange tyres on these cars for over 10 years. Driven in everything from 45*c sunshine to -30*c snow. The wrong tyres do make it slide around more.

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

martin42006 wrote:Have you driven much in the bad weather? Asking as almost every review i found said they were appauling. :confused1:
The setup will still be staggered just not by as much.

I have ordered some t1r's now anyway so just need to take the rims and have them fitted :)
Yep and had no issues at all, I only give the car beans when weather allows so if a little damp im happy to progress but heavy rain is a no no.

Next set of tyres will be on a different set of wheels just to get better choice of tyres.
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”