Standard rear tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Standard rear tyres

Post by eringobragh »

This is disappointing to read - I got 2 x 225/50/15 Falkens Ze912s from Openeo just over 2 years ago for €200 delivered...should have grabbed a spare set...not in the market yet for a new set as I do 5k a year so I get usually 4 years out of the back tyres ...but when time comes are the nankangs really that bad need I ask?My car came with acceleras when I first got it and they were awful on the back but not the worst on the front... obv

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Toyo T1R's are the way to go if you can still get them. Ran a set of these before switching to the Toyo R888.

You can run either 195/55R15 or 205/50R15 in the front. May switch back to 195 in the front next time as the steering is pretty heavy compared to 18 inch wheels/tyres.

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

ran 2 x sets of ze912s and found them very solid and great wear from them

First set was over 20k miles

Second set on around 10k miles

Heard the T1Rs are decent as well..Rather not put 16s on the car :p

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

If you were going to splash out on new wheels you wouldn't waste your time on 16 inch, you need to move to 17 inch to get the tyre choice. 18 inch is now by far and away the best size to get quality rubber for.

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

Personally I just think 17s dont look right on the MR2 but thats just my personal taste ;)

Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

MR2DI4 wrote:If you were going to splash out on new wheels you wouldn't waste your time on 16 inch, you need to move to 17 inch to get the tyre choice. 18 inch is now by far and away the best size to get quality rubber for.

They may have the best range available for them, but they are rubbish for mr2's. Not only do they look houso, they handle rubbish. Suitable for hard parking only in my opinion.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

While there isn't as much choice for 16's, there are still options for pretty much any usage. The difference is you don't have 20 tyres to choose from at each tier.

Having had 16's and 17's of the same wheel (Advan SA3 splits) I do prefer the car on 16's overall on the road. It just feels lighter. Perhaps a lighter 17inch wheel would provide a similar feel as the Advans aren't particularly light. The 17's do look nicer though.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Samreedy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 0

Post by Samreedy »

I've just got a set of standard alloys and the steering is so much lighter (no power steering) but my 17s look better

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

OllieT
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by OllieT »

I've just been on blackcircles and seen two brands available in the stock rear R15 size, firstly some Pirelli's for £250.. maybe not :bleh:

And some 'quality choice' tyres for £68 fitted. What's the verdict on these? I need new tyres pretty desperately and can't find anything else at the mo :confused1:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Quality choice from Black Circles varies, will probably be the Nankang or Nexen depending on stock availability.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

OllieT

Post by OllieT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Quality choice from Black Circles varies, will probably be the Nankang or Nexen depending on stock availability.
Ah yes, I've seen the Nangkang's for sale elsewhere, wasn't too impressed at first glance. Will they keep me alive until I can buy a set of better sized alloys? Or is there somewhere I can buy some quality rubber, as I rather like the stock look..

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It'll be OK I suppose. Just bear in mind it's not top tier rubber and drive accordingly.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Tallboy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

OllieT wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:Quality choice from Black Circles varies, will probably be the Nankang or Nexen depending on stock availability.
Ah yes, I've seen the Nangkang's for sale elsewhere, wasn't too impressed at first glance. Will they keep me alive until I can buy a set of better sized alloys? Or is there somewhere I can buy some quality rubber, as I rather like the stock look..
They are fine if you drive appropietly to the conditions, you'll hear horror stories of budget rubber being awful but in my experience they are fine, just my 2p
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

OllieT

Post by OllieT »

Thanks for the help guys. Gonna take a punt with these and report back in a few months, before I switch to some R16 wheels

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”