Standard rear tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Rev5v6

Re: Standard rear tyres

Post by Rev5v6 »

Tallboy wrote:
OllieT wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:Quality choice from Black Circles varies, will probably be the Nankang or Nexen depending on stock availability.
Ah yes, I've seen the Nangkang's for sale elsewhere, wasn't too impressed at first glance. Will they keep me alive until I can buy a set of better sized alloys? Or is there somewhere I can buy some quality rubber, as I rather like the stock look..
They are fine if you drive appropietly to the conditions, you'll hear horror stories of budget rubber being awful but in my experience they are fine, just my 2p
I'd like to think that even the cheapest tyre is going to perform fairly good in the dry, I mean you wouldn't put a cheaper tyre under maximum cornering load on a public road even in perfect conditions anyway - would you?

As for whizz-bang top shelf tyres, I still would take road conditions as the main indicator or what I could expect from them. If the road's wet, you have to be sensible. If the road's wet and you are on cheap and nasties…. Maybe pull over and have a rest. Or just baby the thing home.

I remember my first car's tyres vividly, I bought the car from my father and he thought he was doing me a favour by putting a brand new set of tyres on for me. My god! Coming down a mountain range (where I worked) in the rain was terrifying, even at very low speeds the tyres just slid.

To call them tyres would be laughable, they were just round pieces of black plastic. They came off the car as soon as I could afford decent rubber.

Topic author
Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Rev5v6 wrote: I'd like to think that even the cheapest tyre is going to perform fairly good in the dry, I mean you wouldn't put a cheaper tyre under maximum cornering load on a public road even in perfect conditions anyway - would you?
Completely agree :th: and to be far if your pushing a high end tyre to its limit on a public road it needs to be a very quiet if not empty road as you would be going fairly sharpish! Obviously never done this myself ;) :D
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

Thought i would do a quick update of how mine is going with the 205 rears.
I have driven it everyday for a week to and from work, i did at first find the car rather twitchy which i think is partly down to needing a full alignment but something i did feel is that the rear end was unstable which is something mentioned by a couple of people in the previous discussion about going for thinner rears.
I have since put some spacers on the rear which i had laying around and pushed the rear wheels out by 8mm each side and that has made a difference. Im not sure how it handles with 225 tyres on as i never got to drive it with them however its handling rather nicely now.
In the future i will be looking for either a nice set of 16's that i like or waiting until someone starts re manufacturing decent rubber in the correct size, but the setup i have now is pretty good until then.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 »

martin42006 wrote:Thought i would do a quick update of how mine is going with the 205 rears.
I have driven it everyday for a week to and from work, i did at first find the car rather twitchy which i think is partly down to needing a full alignment but something i did feel is that the rear end was unstable which is something mentioned by a couple of people in the previous discussion about going for thinner rears.

In the future i will be looking for either a nice set of 16's that i like or waiting until someone starts re manufacturing decent rubber in the correct size, but the setup i have now is pretty good until then.
It's not going to be a big problem for you if you are just using it for commuting from A to B (occasionally to C) - it's when you take it through some twistys and put the rears under proper strain that you'll probably find out in no uncertain way what the majority here are talking about.

Topic author
Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Toyo are now back on black circles in standard rear fitment!!
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”