MK2 Spacer help!

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2BRU

MK2 Spacer help!

Post by MR2BRU »

Evening,

I have four rims 17 x 6.5 x et45 (on a tight budget) all fitted with 215/40/17's

These are not on the vehicle as yet as it's still in bits!

Ok on the front? Back needs spacers.

So my question is how big for the spacers?

Had a look here:

But struggling to believe the figures! Flush I take to mean with the outside of the arch? Even if that is the case it would seem like I need spacers both front and rear?

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bru :th:

Topic author
baileydom

Re: MK2 Spacer help!

Post by baileydom »

Yep those look about right to be honest. The mr2 needs staggered rims or staggered tyres at the very least. 215s all round will handle like a bag of turd imo. Even standard rims are 6 inch front and 7 rear so you have now given the rear even less grip than it had originally. That rim and tyre setup is not suitable for an mr2. Sorry to be blunt but no point in trying to make those fit. Sell them on and buy something suitable for the car. Stock rims would be far better

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

You can use the same width rims but the tyres need to be 20cm different (staggered) the flushness is just for looks. I run 225/45/17 rear and 205/40/17 front. I only use 45 rear for comfort 40 would be a bit harsher ride but its a matter of choice. As far as I know you don't need spacers.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

with same size wheels you would ideally need 12.5mm spacers on each side to get the rear wheels in line. with the front
This compensates for the standard rear wheels being 25mm wider than the fronts.

This leaves you with a choice of 10mm hubcentric or 15mm hubcentric spacers.

When I ran none staggered wheels I had 15mm spacers on the rear. worked very well.

But I do agree that you should get staggered tyres as a minimum
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

Thanks Pete :th:

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

The widest tyres you could realistically put on a 6.5j rim would be 225. To maintain the stagger in the tyres you would be wanting to look at 205 on the front. And I would still reiterate my first reply, the mr2 needs rear grip to be stable and safe. 6.5j is thinner than stock alloy width on the rear. Less rubber on the ground means less grip means less safe.

I too have run non-staggered rims but they were 7.5j with 215s on the front, 235s on the rear and 15mm spacers.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

I've got a set of stock wheels lying around if you're interested i think they need new tyres but you're welcome to have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Topic author
MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

angpozzuto wrote:I've got a set of stock wheels lying around if you're interested i think they need new tyres but you're welcome to have them
Thank you for the very kind offer :th: but I too already have a set of stock alloys!

Topic author
MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

baileydom wrote:Yep those look about right to be honest. The mr2 needs staggered rims or staggered tyres at the very least. 215s all round will handle like a bag of turd imo.

I ran them as above with a 25mm spacer on the rears, car handled fine.. However as I knew this was such a concern Dom when I came across a set of staggered Team Dynamics at a very reasonable price I couldn't resist! Hopefully you can now sleep at night! :D

Before:

17 x 6.5 front 215/40
17 x 6.5 rear 215/40 (25mm spacer)

After:

17 x 7 front 215/40
17 x 8 rear 255/40

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”