Trackday wheels & Tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 5 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Quintain

Trackday wheels & Tyres

Post by Quintain »

I'm currently running T1R's on standard wheels. Trackday friendly tyres seem very limited on the standard wheels(R888R only?), so I'm looking to move up to 16's (16x7 ET35 205/45/16 front,16x8 ET38 225/45/16 back) as this size gives me a choice of R888R, AD08R or AR-1 (Nankang). 17's only seem to give me R888R and AR-1.

Have I missed any other combinations? Can anyone recommend some decent wheels in the required size? I'd prefer to buy them with the correct offset rather than use spacers. I'm looking at Work wheels as the best fit so far. Any other thoughts?

Cheers...

Wizzle
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Trackday wheels & Tyres

Post by Wizzle »

If you want a set of 16's I've got some 300zx wheels in the garage. Currently have 215/45/16 and 245/45/16 tyres on but you're more than welcome to them. Not the lightest wheels but standard Porsche fitment. Currently falkons on front and bridge stone so2's on the rear but you can easily swap them for something stickier :).

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

I have AD08R's on my stock mk3 wheels. I am a track novice but always been a 'spirited' driver. I can confirm my sphincter gave way long before I had any tyre squeal - never had a murmur out of them on the road either - awesome tyre in the dry. I am less trusting of them in the wet though (on road), there's not much tread pattern to them - though more than on R888's
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

AD08R's may surprise you in the wet Dan! Better to err on the side of caution though of course in those conditions.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Gazza_DJ wrote:AD08R's may surprise you in the wet Dan! Better to err on the side of caution though of course in those conditions.
You are probably right my friend! :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
Quintain

Post by Quintain »

Thanks Guys. I'm going with AD08R's on 16" Work Meister's, if I can ever get a response out of Driftworks.

@Wizzle: Thanks for the wheel offer but a bit too heavy and wide for my liking on track.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

Quintain wrote:Thanks Guys. I'm going with AD08R's on 16" Work Meister's, if I can ever get a response out of Driftworks.

@Wizzle: Thanks for the wheel offer but a bit too heavy and wide for my liking on track.
I've got a set of these with ad08r for my mk1 v6 my god they do look good Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Stop it Angelo, this is a family friendly forum! :blush:
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

angpozzuto

Post by angpozzuto »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Stop it Angelo, this is a family friendly forum! :blush:
Okay now I'm done [emoji41][emoji41]

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Toyo R888's work pretty well on the stock 15inch rims and are probably all you need unless your north of 300Hp.

For short sprints like 10 laps you want 34 psi rear and 32 psi fronts. Handling and grip is pretty bad at less than this. If you Google these tyres your looking for pressures in the high 30's early 40's when you come back into the pits.

I would suggest filling the tires with nitrogen if you want to get serious, keeps the tire pressure far more constant.

Topic author
Quintain

Post by Quintain »

Those Meisters go look gorgeous :th: Unfortunately I've got to replace my standard wheels as one is slightly warped, so hang the expense (and marriage!) Did you get them through Driftworks? How long did it take? Patrick (headcase) is dropping a V6 in my mk2 soon, I hope :yahoo:

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

I've had R888s on 15"s and AD08Rs on 16"S... the former is grippier, but the latter works better as a fast-road tyre for me and it still really rather good on track, hence I now have one set of wheels for my toy rather than separate road and track. If my MR2 was also my daily then it would be a different matter.

angpozzuto

Post by angpozzuto »

Quintain wrote:Those Meisters go look gorgeous :th: Unfortunately I've got to replace my standard wheels as one is slightly warped, so hang the expense (and marriage!) Did you get them through Driftworks? How long did it take? Patrick (headcase) is dropping a V6 in my mk2 soon, I hope :yahoo:
Thank you. I ordered them through driftworks last year in the January sale, I think there was about £50 off per wheel (every little helps). I had to wait for 2 months for them to be delivered, painful I know but they were definitely worth the wait. Patrick is a good guy he replaced the 1mz in my mk1 after I killed my big end bearings

Topic author
Quintain

Post by Quintain »

Ah well. Waited 2 months for my Meister S1R's to be told the factory has damaged the blank and has no plans to fix it. So decided to go 17x7 ET35 and 17x8 ET35 on Meister M1R's. No response on availability so cancelled. Decided to try Team Dynamics 1.2. Told they have no castings for 17x8!
I use my MR2 mainly for track days so I wanted to avoid using spacers as another point of weakness, but I seem to be running out of options. I run bc coilovers so I didn't want to go too wide. I'm looking at 205/40/17 front and 235/40/17 rear.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 5 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”