Advice on OEM wheels

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Garryw

Advice on OEM wheels

Post by Garryw »

Hi all

I picked my Mk2 Rev 2 Turbo the other day and it has (in my opinion) a set of horrendous MOMO alloys on it. I've spent a while looking online and I'm struggling to identify exactly what the OEM wheel are. Can anyone confirm what would have been on it originally?

The car is going to be a bit of a project and will also be used for some track days etc. For the most part, I'd like to keep it OEM, but in terms of handling and performance, is there a preferred wheel and tyre size that is popular that I should be looking at as well?

Thanks, Garry

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Advice on OEM wheels

Post by SonicSW20 »

It would have had 15inch wheels, like this -
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Garryw

Post by Garryw »

Thanks for that.

That was what I assumed it came with, but have found a few pics of apparently 'original' wheels that looked nothing like this - still 5 spokes, but much smaller spokes if that makes sense.

Cheers, Garry

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jeff »

that would be the rev5 wheels
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, as above, late 97 to end of production.

The problem you have with the stock 15's is rear tyre choice. For a mainly road going car, you've got a questionable quality Nexen, the reasonable Toyo T1R (if you can find stock), or the very decent and very expensive Pirelli P Zero.

For track work you can get the Toyo R888R (or the older R888 if still available) and the Kumho V70A. Both amazing tyres for hard usage, track days etc but neither is particularly appropriate for road use outside of the dry summer months.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Garryw

Post by Garryw »

Thanks again.

In reality, I'll probably only do 1-2 track days a year so track focused tyres are not a "must have". I've read a few other threads on the availability of rear tyres and did have some concerns about that.

Are there any other wheels that are recommended that give a decent tyre offering?

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Garryw wrote: 07/05/17 12:52
Are there any other wheels that are recommended that give a decent tyre offering?
16" are getting less spread of makes, but still pretty avialable.

17" are best for availability.
Get some nice staggered wheels 8J fr and 9J rear on ET32/35 fitment. go with 215/40/17 fr and 245/40/17 rear :th:

loads of choice and it comes down to personal choice here.

I like Hankook V12 Evo2s
You will get others pointing towards Eagle F1s, Falkens 452/453 (now have new 510s but know nothing about these), continental.
all great tyres but stay away from the ditchfinders.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Garryw

Post by Garryw »

peteV6R5 wrote: 07/05/17 13:18
Garryw wrote: 07/05/17 12:52
16" are getting less spread of makes, but still pretty avialable.

17" are best for availability.
Get some nice staggered wheels 8J fr and 9J rear on ET32/35 fitment. go with 215/40/17 fr and 245/40/17 rear :th:

loads of choice and it comes down to personal choice here.

I like Hankook V12 Evo2s
You will get others pointing towards Eagle F1s, Falkens 452/453 (now have new 510s but know nothing about these), continental.
all great tyres but stay away from the ditchfinders.
Thanks again for the reply.

Are there particular wheels that are preferred for these cars? I'd like to go back to oem, but would happily trade them for after market wheels if they are a reasonable price and offer a decent performance uplift,

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”