Safe maximum tyre temperatures?

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Safe maximum tyre temperatures?

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Ok, yes I know that different tyres have different max working temps, wear rates, traction and such so please bear with me.

I have fitted a tyre pressure and temperature monitoring system and this can be set to warn you of low tyre pressures but also excessively high temps.

I am well aware that different tyres can tolerate higher temperatures than others before being in the "danger zone" so to speak. But I was just wondering if anyone could furnish me with a ballpark figure?

The tyres I run are Kumho ecsta le sports front and back and despite extensive searching I cannot find any info on maximum safe running temperatures.

So I reiterate, I am well aware that different tyres have maximum safe operating temps I am just asking if somebody could shed some light on a ballpark figure, that is all.

No telling me what tyres I should have bought, no arguments about tyre pressures etc please.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

benckj

Re: Safe maximum tyre temperatures?

Post by benckj »

Glad to have someone else who sees the value in using a TPMS. I have run one for years and now use them on all my cars.

For max temp alarm I use 46c purely because this was the default and after a few track runs find it good enough to pick up abnormal hot tyre. Keep in mind that I use an external sensor so internals will be more accurate.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

benckj wrote: 29/03/18 20:04 Glad to have someone else who sees the value in using a TPMS. I have run one for years and now use them on all my cars.

For max temp alarm I use 46c purely because this was the default and after a few track runs find it good enough to pick up abnormal hot tyre. Keep in mind that I use an external sensor so internals will be more accurate.
I agree with your point about the importance of knowing this info in real time.

Ride a fast motorbike for a few weeks and the importance of correct consistent pressures and temperature will become abundantly clear. ;)
Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Not sure that the temperature is a worry.

Raced karts and basically the tyres were almost too hot to hold. You left the kart in the pits for a few minutes and it literately stuck to the concrete when you tried to pick it up to put on the pit trolley.

Put the Kart in my brothers ute with the tyres still hot and once were got home and pulled it out it ripped the paint off !!!!!!!

Really all your interested in is the tyre pressure at the operating temperature. No doubt most guys that track day cars over here will be using nitrogen not oxygen in the tyres as this doesn't increase your tyre pressure with temperature like O2 does.

benckj

Post by benckj »

Pressure is most important but temp does give you an indication on how the rotating mass is going. Take a few track runs and you will note the outer tyres heat up more than inner which results in pressure changes. Also gives a fairly good view on the brakes that can help avoid faded if getting too hot. All good info if captured with a simple alarm to indicate things are not going to plan.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you really want to get into it get a non-contact IR temperature gun - a far more useful measurement is relative temperature across the tyre - for example higher temperatures in the middle means your pressures are too high.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

MR2DI4 wrote: 29/03/18 22:40 No doubt most guys that track day cars over here will be using nitrogen not oxygen in the tyres as this doesn't increase your tyre pressure with temperature like O2 does.
Air is not Oxygen. Air is 20% oxygen, 80% nitrogen and a smidgen of a percent of other things. If you think that having 20% oxygen in your tyres makes the pressure too volatile due to the expansion of oxygen at different temperatures, can you point me to a study outlining the difference in how nitrogen reacts to increase in termperature compared to oxygen - preferably not from a company flogging nitrogen filled tyre services.

For anything other than full-on race cars (F1, WEC, etc), Nitrogen filled tyres is a con.

benckj

Post by benckj »

Couldn’t agree more. Nitrogen filling is more a scam than anything. You will see pressure vs temp rise with any gas. Running a TPMS is the way to go especially when others drive your cars and don’t check tyre pressure’s. Apart from the performance view it has saved me & my family tyres several times .

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

Correct Gav.

The big advantage of pure nitrogen filling is it is dry - this is what gives it the beneficial properties racers are after.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/sa ... h-nitrogen
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

Gazza_DJ wrote: 31/03/18 18:53 Correct Gav.

The big advantage of pure nitrogen filling is it is dry - this is what gives it the beneficial properties racers are after.

Surely it's easy enough to fit a dryer to a conventional compressor ?

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

gavsdavs wrote: 31/03/18 22:23
Gazza_DJ wrote: 31/03/18 18:53 Correct Gav.

Surely it's easy enough to fit a dryer to a conventional compressor ?
^^This^^

But you might be surprised how many garage forecourt airlines have an inadequate (or even no) moisture trap/water filter.

Tyre temps are only going to be relevant on a track.
On the road you shouldn't be getting anywhere near a critical figure.

As for TPMS, my pressure gauge and regular weekly check does the job well enough.
If I did a lot of track days I might reconsider, but as I don't it's not for me.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”