Tyre pressures

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
reversao

Tyre pressures

Post by reversao »

Hi everyone!

Just bought set of toyo proxes T1R and was wondering what tyre pressures would you advise from your experience.
Fronts are 205/45/r16, rears 225/45/r16. Both are XL's.

Looking for a good road set-up, not commuting.

Any experience with these profiles on these sizes? Does not have to be toyos that you use of course. And of course will play around with them after but just would like to find a decent starting point.

Cheers

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Tyres pressure

Post by jeff »

Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Topic author
reversao

Post by reversao »

Thanks but I have seen this and it does not give the info on my query. Unfortunatelly, this does not have any info on my sizes of tyres and that is why i posted the question. I know though that my set-up i quite common and this is ehy i am looking for an advise based on experience.

Starting from the advised pressure for standard tyre would be rather not very thoughtfull considering higher profile and smaller size of standard wheel.

Cheers

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Pressures similar to that of the stock 15's.

I run 38psi rear and 34psi front with the Toyo R888's as a road tyre.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

on 17's i use 28 front 32 rear
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

reversao wrote: 05/01/19 18:18

Starting from the advised pressure for standard tyre would be rather not very thoughtfull considering higher profile and smaller size of standard wheel.

Cheers

i think its correct as you see above there is already two different pressures, its just a starting point

i have 17" front and 18" rear and have always used 30/33
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

I'm using the same size tyres as the op and mine are set to 32psi all round
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

reversao wrote: 05/01/19 18:18 Thanks but I have seen this and it does not give the info on my query. Unfortunatelly, this does not have any info on my sizes of tyres and that is why i posted the question. I know though that my set-up i quite common and this is ehy i am looking for an advise based on experience.

Cheers
One of the functions of the air in a tyre is to support the load placed on it.
That's why HGVs tyres run at much higher pressures.
It's also why there is an OEM front/rear differential on an MR2.

Changing the wheel diameter and tyre profile isn't going to make a whole heap of difference tbh.
Maintaining the differential is more relevant than the specific pressures you're using.
Bear in mind you're not making any appreciable change to the front/rear weight split.

Start with the stock figures appropriate for your version then try incremental changes.
FWIW I run 17s on my turbo and after much experiment I settled on 30/34psi. YMMV.
angpozzuto wrote: 05/01/19 18:49 I'm using the same size tyres as the op and mine are set to 32psi all round
Ah, that explains your car's lively rear end! :mrgreen:
Also, I'll bet your carrying more weight on the rear than with the stock 4A-GE.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

reversao wrote: 05/01/19 17:42 Hi everyone!

Just bought set of toyo proxes T1R and was wondering what tyre pressures would you advise from your experience.
Fronts are 205/45/r16, rears 225/45/r16. Both are XL's.

Looking for a good road set-up, not commuting.

Any experience with these profiles on these sizes? Does not have to be toyos that you use of course. And of course will play around with them after but just would like to find a decent starting point.

Cheers
28 fr and 32 rear when I ran 16s for a while, never really happy with them so switched back to 17s, agree with TLF starting point as all tyres react differently.
so looking through other threads 28-31 fronts and 30-34 rears appear to be the ball park (keeping 3-4 psi diff fr to rear).
check wear rate as that will tell you if you are over or under inflated.
high wear on edges = under pressure....
high wear middle = over pressure
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

I have t1rs in same size as op.
Ive found the sweet spot as 29psi front 32 rear.

Topic author
reversao

Post by reversao »

Thanks for answers.

I think i will start from the lower pressures like 28-31 to wear them a little bit at first and then will start to increase and see how it responds to changes.

Cheers

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Depends on how your drive as well. You will only really notice the few psi of difference if you start to drive hard. The T1R, while a good tyre under normal driving started exhibiting some unnerving characteristics in the rear on mine when pushed hard into the corner entry. You could feel the rear "Squirm" and while it hung on grip wise it felt a bit weird. If felt like it was going to let go so it didn't inspire you to corner hard.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Tyre pressures

Post by TonyleFrog »

T1Rs are not my choice of tyre now if there are other options. My second turbo which I purchased in 2009 was fitted with them: as there was plenty of tread left I never gave changing them a moments thought. A couple of weeks afterwards I went on the Highland Drive. It was then I experienced the disconcerting effect you mention.

The first time it happened was a bit 'brown trousers' as I wasn't prepared for it. After a repeat performance I then knew what to expect. The rear end seemed to be losing grip then stabilising. After some headscratching I discovered it was the tyre construction. The lurch on corner entry was due to 'give' in the sidewalls. They appear to be made of marshmallow! The movement stops once the compression has been fully absorbed. After that point the car corners as you would expect.

You need to have your wits about you though because the back end will still get away from you if you overdo it. Finding out where that transition will occur with T1Rs is an interesting experience and the road is not the place for it!

As it happened T2 then came up for sale and the white turbo was sold. Still with the T1Rs: I never did get round to getting shot of them.

One big problem now is that thay are about the only affordable (rear) tyres in the UK if you're running stock 15" wheels. It's either ditchfinders or Pirelli P Zero/Michelin TB5. The prices for both of the latter are eye watering. A pair of them cost more than a full set of 17" Goodyear Eagle F1s. Indeed I can buy all four F1s and still have enough change to dine out at a decent restaurant.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Tyre pressures

Post by benckj »

I tend to run higher pressures than most. Generally use 35 front and 38 rear. This eliminates the sidewall flex described above and allows longer tyre life. On the downside when road is wet I slide a bit more than desirable.

More importantly than your initial pressure selection is keeping them stable. More often than not the driver will check & forget about pressures until they 'look low'. With low profile tyres it is hard to tell from looking to see if its normal or not. I'm a firm believer in using a TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) to actively tell me what the pressures are when driving as well as protect against a sudden pressure loss. Even have my wife & adult kids trained to use. System is less than the cost of one tyre and has already saved me numerous ties (slow leaks, high brake temps, etc).

Use a portable system that I can move around cars as well as an Adroid system on my turbo. Sensors connect to tyre valves and transmit real time pressure & temperature to base controller.
Attachments
IMG_5829.JPG

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”