MR2 Mk3 Aftermarket Wheel/Tyre Sizes

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
benzbug

MR2 Mk3 Aftermarket Wheel/Tyre Sizes

Post by benzbug »

New member here - hi everybody. I've just bought a 2004 MR2 and am enjoying it hugely, having owned one from new in 2002 and been missing it ever since I sold it 3 years later.

My new one is all standard except it has Borbet LV4 16x7 ET38 wheels all round, with Kumho 195/45 R16 tyres on the front and Kumho 215/45 R16 tyres on the rear, all supplied to the previous owner about a year ago by Wheelbase of Chadderton.

This seems a little odd to me as although wheels are the same size all round, the tyres are different widths but with the same profile, giving a different rolling radius. The car seems to ride well enough, though there's a slight front/rear choppiness over uneven surfaces.

Do any of the forum experts know:
a) Whether this is an acceptable and safe wheel/tyre combination
b) If not what should I change?

Thanks in advance for your valued input.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MR2 Mk3 Aftermarket Wheel/Tyre Sizes

Post by jimi »

Your car would originally have been fitted with
15” Fronts - 185/55/15
16” Rears - 215/45/16
Your present setup has a 16's on the front instead of 15's but with the tyre size fitted the rolling radius is pretty much the same (- 0.44% smaller) so I doubt it would any difference.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

Yup, you got a pretty good setup there. Any pics? Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
benzbug

Post by benzbug »

Thanks Jimi and Andy for putting my mind at rest - much appreciated. I still can't see why anyone would put different width tyres on the same size wheels, but I guess that's the way it goes.
Cheers
Pete

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”