Tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Gom

Tyres

Post by Gom »

No doubt it's been discussed before but I've done a search and not come up with anything, also looking for current advice.

I'm struggling to find tyres for facelift wheels i.e. 15 Front 16 rear.

Anyone bought anything recently?
Thanks

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Tyres

Post by Topdownman »

Tricky problem these days. The original rear tyres had a Load/Speed of 86W. The only matching sets I could find last time I looked were both Yokohamas, Advan Fleva V701 or AD08RS.

The original front tyres only had a Load/Speed 81V though so it seems reasonable to have a V rating on the rear too now the W is not available. This opens up a much wider choice to include Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125, Kumho Ecsta HS51, Falken Z1EX ZE310 and Avon ZV7.

The issue with these though is that you should ask your insurane company first if it is ok to fit these. If you dont and you have a claim, they could potentially use this as a loophole to deny the claim. A bit unlikely maybe but worth an email to them to be safe.

The argument would be that the W was over specced as that was the tyre available. Having different ratings for axles doesnt make sense to my mind for any other reason.

Topic author
Gom

Post by Gom »

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at those you’ve mentioned. I'm not too bothered by the insurance, as you say they're not available now plus I can't see them questioning the tyres on v or w. Only way they could call them into question is if you were exceeding or close to the limits which isn't going to happen. It's not going to be doing anyway near 150mph on the road and I'm not sure you'd for 2 passengers in big enough to get closer to the weight limit.
Do you have any experience of those you have mentioned?

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

The speed limits are always way higher than the top speed of any car as I suppose that is the speed where it could be unsafe so needs to have a good margin.

I currently have AD08RS on my car which replaced the previous AD08R. The R was the best tyre I have ever had on a 2 but they were forced to change the compound by legislation and the RS is merely good in the dry now, I will not buy them again! (Both R and RS dont like standing water so care is needed when cold and wet). I plan to try the hankooks next but all the above tyres seem liked by people who run them.

Have a look at the tyre reviews website to try to find reviews in 15 or 16" sizes to see what might suit what you want from a tyre. I personally want a great handling tyre in the dry as my priority and drive according to the conditions otherwise.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”