Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

The home for all your pictures and videos of MR2OC meets and events.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:The corner whose name you have forgotten is the only one for which you get a visual clue.
It's written in 3ft high letters on the end wall of the hospitality suite building on the right.
;)

https://youtu.be/N7npXuS6EwE?t=84
https://youtu.be/qav4szBu4ms?t=50
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/venue-trac ... al-circuit
I told you I was concentrating on other stuff and not the hospitality suites :blush: :laughing

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

You should be able to full throttle through and out of woodcote in 4th but you are right in needing to aim for the posts.
But you need the correct line and no one around to keep your foot to the floor.

For that reason I was at redline in 4th changing into 5th at the first set of lines and able to carry more speed through 5th until you get to the overroad silverstone sign at which point i started to brake. Probably earlier than most as I was going a bit faster.

Looking back, unless you have the grip/aero and handling to stay in 4th, the 1st corner should likely be done in 3rd as shinny was doing for max acceleration out of it.

When I was having to slow for other cars at that corner and having to drop into 3rd, I'm sure I was getting better acceleration and topping out in 4th for the next corner sooner than just keeping it in 4th the whole time.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

Lovely vids lads, enjoyed watching those. So much so, I'll be there next time to rip it up :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

jimGTS wrote:You should be able to full throttle through and out of woodcote in 4th but you are right in needing to aim for the posts.

For that reason I was at redline in 4th changing into 5th at the first set of lines and able to carry more speed through 5th until you get to the overroad silverstone sign at which point i started to brake. Probably earlier than most as I was going a bit faster.

Looking back, unless you have the grip/aero and handling to stay in 4th, the 1st corner should likely be done in 3rd as shinny was doing for max acceleration out of it.

When I was having to slow for other cars at that corner and having to drop into 3rd, I'm sure I was getting better acceleration and topping out in 4th for the next corner sooner than just keeping it in 4th the whole time.
I was running Toyo T1R's on the back so not quite as grippy as you and Shinny, but the Hankook Evo 12's up front seemed happy with heavy braking and corner grip when turning in. I did have to contend with no PAS and no ABS though, which was interesting at times.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Woody928
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Would have been pretty cool having a Le Mans Pro in the car with you HM! Watching it back even now it is really beneficial being able to review it, will certainly be a helpful reference for next time :)

Glad you've got your brakes sorted, albeit that must have been a pretty disturbing discovery with the brake line! Braided lines do seem to work wonders by comparison I must agree. Its a difficult one, I think if I consider doing track day events more then I may consider getting track pads to fit to the car as it seems the only sensible solution. I have suspicions I may have glazed my carbotech's but until I can take them off tomorrow then I'm clueless, however the braking performance doesn't feel anywhere near where it was when they were fitted :blush:
jimGTS wrote: Looking back, unless you have the grip/aero and handling to stay in 4th, the 1st corner should likely be done in 3rd as shinny was doing for max acceleration out of it.

Interesting point, I never tried 3rd around that corner after the instructors comments. If there was a car ahead then generally speaking I would say you could justify the need for 3rd. However if it was clear road then 4th made sense imo as I was doing 80mph+ through there so there wouldn't be much performance to be had there and was sitting at about 4k rpm in 4th. It shouldn't be an issue with the amount of torque imo...
sinjen wrote:Lovely vids lads, enjoyed watching those. So much so, I'll be there next time to rip it up :D

Spill the beans have you kept yours? or is a new project about to be started?! You know you'll have difficulty keeping up with me now if you do ;)
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

V12's all round on mine felt awesome, way better than the T1Rs.
I've been doing laps on forza 6. Got the mr2 set up with Dinos settings and stock ratios in the trans. Have to say it's very realistic

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by sinjen »

Woody928 wrote:Would have been pretty cool having a Le Mans Pro in the car with you HM! Watching it back even now it is really beneficial being able to review it, will certainly be a helpful reference for next time :)

Glad you've got your brakes sorted, albeit that must have been a pretty disturbing discovery with the brake line! Braided lines do seem to work wonders by comparison I must agree. Its a difficult one, I think if I consider doing track day events more then I may consider getting track pads to fit to the car as it seems the only sensible solution. I have suspicions I may have glazed my carbotech's but until I can take them off tomorrow then I'm clueless, however the braking performance doesn't feel anywhere near where it was when they were fitted :blush:
jimGTS wrote: Looking back, unless you have the grip/aero and handling to stay in 4th, the 1st corner should likely be done in 3rd as shinny was doing for max acceleration out of it.

Interesting point, I never tried 3rd around that corner after the instructors comments. If there was a car ahead then generally speaking I would say you could justify the need for 3rd. However if it was clear road then 4th made sense imo as I was doing 80mph+ through there so there wouldn't be much performance to be had there and was sitting at about 4k rpm in 4th. It shouldn't be an issue with the amount of torque imo...
sinjen wrote:Lovely vids lads, enjoyed watching those. So much so, I'll be there next time to rip it up :D

Spill the beans have you kept yours? or is a new project about to be started?! You know you'll have difficulty keeping up with me now if you do ;)
Haha, I got something for ya!! Keeping it mate whoop whoop.

Nice driving btw, keep practising ;) lol

Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

dawesy wrote:V12's all round on mine felt awesome, way better than the T1Rs.
I've been doing laps on forza 6. Got the mr2 set up with Dinos settings and stock ratios in the trans. Have to say it's very realistic

Will have to share my A700 V6 tune, it's pretty decent. It's almost competitive in public online lobbies!

The ARB / spring / damper settings take a while to get dialled in. The settings you get when you install race suspension are way too stiff for most tracks.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

Yeah brake balance takes some finding too.

Topic author
Woody928
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

sinjen wrote: Haha, I got something for ya!! Keeping it mate whoop whoop.

Nice driving btw, keep practising ;) lol

Woohoo :yahoo: We'll be seeing you at the next one then ;)

Cheers, really want to go back and do it again now that I've had a chance to look back and review it all, loads of places I can improve. Albeit I need to make a further couple of enhancements to the car first. I know the pro's like you don't need any of this practice malarky so you'll be fastest from lap one I'm sure :bleh:
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
jimGTS wrote:You should be able to full throttle through and out of woodcote in 4th but you are right in needing to aim for the posts.

I was running Toyo T1R's on the back so not quite as grippy as you and Shinny, but the Hankook Evo 12's up front seemed happy with heavy braking and corner grip when turning in. I did have to contend with no PAS and no ABS though, which was interesting at times.

HM
No abs isn't an issue. I prefer without, but not an abs equipped car not working, if you get me.
Pas wouldn't be working at track speed anyway, it's only for low speed maneuvering
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2OC Event pictures and videos”