Warning for all 'boy-racers'

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Joey
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Warning for all 'boy-racers'

Post by Joey »

spanky wrote:
dansrev2turbo wrote: how was he meant to know the rules if not a regular?
yes id be "censored" off if someone did that 6ft from my car, heck, i get nervous of people just parking next to me! but imo lessons would have more likely to be learned if it were a more lenient approach considering he was a newbie, the telling off/arguing would have been enough.
a quiet word in his ear would be better imo, then he could make up his own mind, come and stay calm or dont come at all

The general club disclaimer is there when you register for a meet. In addition to this we have a further set of t&c's for meets in Ireland (due to the Police involvement with ever meet), that everyone is made aware of.

First timer or not, he was aware of the guidelines.

I did think about talking to him at the time, but confronting people to tell them off like a petulant child is not why I am a rep for this club and it wouldn't have served any purpose in this case.
I on the other hand told him it was a retarded thing to do in a busy car park on a Sunday afternoon with loads of people about and was likely to land us in trouble. A few others also spoke to him about it. In fairness to him he did seem sorry for doing it once things were explained to him. Still that's red mr2 owners for you ...:whistling:

devilly

Post by devilly »

Joey wrote:
I on the other hand told him it was a retarded thing to do in a busy car park on a Sunday afternoon with loads of people about and was likely to land us in trouble. A few others also spoke to him about it. In fairness to him he did seem sorry for doing it once things were explained to him. Still that's red mr2 owners for you ...:whistling:

Thanks! :ranting1: lol

nikk1877

Post by nikk1877 »

Ok we all agree that bahaving like an "censored" at any organised social gathering is really unacceptable,

But.

The subject of this thread is pompous. All I can see are jobsworths making examples of themselves. The way in which the individual was dealt with may have been neccessary, but
causing a fuss on a forum over it and publishing !WARNINGS! is rather condescending.

I have never really gotten involved with the social side of the OC, but if this is the general attitude of the organisers then.... we'll I'm sure i won't be missed. :) Look at it another way, imagine a new member looking in on this thread. ?

Keep on having fun people. :)

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Joey wrote:
spanky wrote:
dansrev2turbo wrote: how was he meant to know the rules if not a regular?
yes id be "censored" off if someone did that 6ft from my car, heck, i get nervous of people just parking next to me! but imo lessons would have more likely to be learned if it were a more lenient approach considering he was a newbie, the telling off/arguing would have been enough.
a quiet word in his ear would be better imo, then he could make up his own mind, come and stay calm or dont come at all

The general club disclaimer is there when you register for a meet. In addition to this we have a further set of t&c's for meets in Ireland (due to the Police involvement with ever meet), that everyone is made aware of.

First timer or not, he was aware of the guidelines.

I did think about talking to him at the time, but confronting people to tell them off like a petulant child is not why I am a rep for this club and it wouldn't have served any purpose in this case.
Makes no difference whether he was new to the OC or not. It should be blindingly obvious to anyone but a retard that a well populated car park is not the place. It was similar disregard for public safety that got car meets banned from the Bluewater centre in Kent. AIUI these began with a few IMOC members getting together and subsequently grew to include other Jap metal. The problems began when word spread and the Barried up hatches and yoofs on scooters descended en masse. Eventually somebody got hurt and the police closed it all down. I had already given up going before then as it was getting well OTT.

Coming from N.I. you well know that spanky would be in the frame if anything went t**t's up as it's his name on the police computer. So, unlike him, you could afford to risk being more relaxed in your dealings with the perp.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
spanky
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by spanky »

nikk1877 wrote:Ok we all agree that bahaving like an "censored" at any organised social gathering is really unacceptable,

But.

The subject of this thread is pompous. All I can see are jobsworths making examples of themselves. The way in which the individual was dealt with may have been neccessary, but
causing a fuss on a forum over it and publishing !WARNINGS! is rather condescending.

I have never really gotten involved with the social side of the OC, but if this is the general attitude of the organisers then.... we'll I'm sure i won't be missed. :) Look at it another way, imagine a new member looking in on this thread. ?

Keep on having fun people. :)

I hope a new member does read this. Some people are posting here to say that the guy in question should have been given a second chance because he was relatively new. If this post existed previously then he may not have done what he did.

As for your jobsworth comment ... please :rolleyes: All of the reps on here give up their own free time and go to a certain amount of personal expense to arrange the various meets, nights out or whatever else may be popular for members local to them. A lot of my members also have my personal phone number should they ever need to contact me (which many have) if there is a problem with their car.

None of us (that I have experienced so far) treat any members like they are less than us or below us in any way. At least our efforts are appreciated by the majority on here :cool1:

You chose not to go any meets and thats fine, but perhaps if you did you would understand more about what the main ethos of this particular club is.

Get along to your next meet and say hello to your rep or head over to Ireland for our next meet ... I'll even put you up in mine and supply donuts :th:

trispage

Post by trispage »

spanky wrote: Get along to your next meet and say hello to your rep or head over to Ireland for our next meet ... I'll even put you up in mine and supply donuts :th:
Woo Hoo . . . .Party at Spankies place :th:

On a serious note though, i am totally behind the decision, donuts in a public car park is not what we are about. Fun is what we are about but this does not come at the expense of giving the general public an excuse to cease our enjoyment.

Just my two pence worth

Topic author
spanky

Post by spanky »

trispage wrote: Woo Hoo . . . .Party at Spankies place :th:

You probably dont want to know about my parties ... just think about how I got the nickname :blush: :laughing

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

spanky wrote:

You probably dont want to know about my parties ... just think about how I got the nickname :blush: :laughing
I did. Hence my relief that I wasn't sharing a room with you on this year's Highland Drive. ;)
It might explain why the person in front of me on Sunday was driving at a much reduced pace compared to the previous day....
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
spanky

Post by spanky »

TonyleFrog wrote:
spanky wrote:

I did. Hence my relief that I wasn't sharing a room with you on this year's Highland Drive. ;)
It might explain why the person in front of me on Sunday was driving at a much reduced pace compared to the previous day....

Did you notice whether he kept re-adjusting himself in his seat??? ;) :D I did notice he walked a little funny :offtopic: :blush:

manta5

Post by manta5 »

on this years highland drive i saw plenty of +100mph driving,overtaking members of the public on public roads.almost every mr2 had a mr2oc sticker on it.

how do we as members, stand if anyone of us get caught at high speed?
will we get banned from the club also?

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

manta5 wrote:on this years highland drive i saw plenty of +100mph driving,overtaking members of the public on public roads.almost every mr2 had a mr2oc sticker on it.

how do we as members, stand if anyone of us get caught at high speed?
will we get banned from the club also?
That's the 64 thousand dollar question aint it!

If you get caught, you face the consequences yourself.

Our friends over in Ireland though face the same consequences, but so does the Rep organising the meet. Hence this thread and Spanky's concerns.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

3913mark

Post by 3913mark »

I would guess a lot of people don't bother reading the rules/guidlines before turning up to an event. Perhaps it would be worth issuing a verbal reminder to all drivers at the start of events. I will happily put myself forward to do that at any NI events.

As for the action, Spanky is the regional rep so I support his decision as he would take the flack and the club would suffer. Perhaps we can explain to the individual the reasons and invite him back next year. He was apologetic at the time and I don't imagine he would do it again. In general its not a wise thing to do in a public car park with plenty of cars and people - I had to get it out of his way as he nearly hit me on my way to the toilet. I also know of people who have done doughnuts in the 'wrong place' and found their cars smashed up a few days later. Happened to a load of cars in Comber a few years ago - either smashed up or petrol bombed!

Kitsan

Post by Kitsan »

Play by the rules or don't play at all. There are plenty of Jap car clubs people could try if they don't enjoy the content of the meets this club puts on.
Or alternatively become a rep and be responsible for the actions and set the rules yourself.

I have to agree with Spanky. If it was my name the police had in relation to mr2 meets in that area then I'd rule with an iron fist. You wouldn't be allowed to come if you weren't wearing a suit and smart shoes. lol.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Northern/Southern ireland”